Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2003 8:54:15 AM EDT
My wife and I are looking into a new mattress and would like the recommendations of my ARFCOM Brutha's!

We have a King size and there is a big difference in our respective sizes.
I am 6'7" 240 lbs. and my wife is 5'3" and might go 120 lbs.

We have discussed the seperate bed thing (ala The King of Queens!) but we can't fit a queen and a double in the same room!

TIA,
BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Dunno, but the hooker down the street likes the "posture pedic" that is laying in the alley.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#3]
YOU KEEP THE KING SIZE, SHe gets the Court Jester Size bed  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#4]
just find someone who has a return polic.i hate the matteress we bought 2 years ago,and they didn't have a return policy.they felt good the 10-15 mins i layed on them at the store.but a week later my back started to hurt.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have (and love) Spring Air Back Support.  I forget the model, but it's a pillow top King.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago.

Stearns and Foster.  Nothing else even comes close.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Simmons World Class BeautyRest King size.
Have gone through a few trying to find one that wouldnt sag after a few years with fat butt on it(6'240lbs).
This is an awesome mattress,firm with soft pillow top.
This is the one in the old commercials that they drop a bowling ball on it and the wine glasses dont move.
I can get in and out of bed without disturbing my wife at all.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Stearns & Foster, very nice - well made, durable. Really like Tempurpedic as well - cant comment havent had it long. Hielo has 25 of them I think. Thats a good endorsement. ;)

Go try them tho, YMMV.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#9]
The Temperpedic mattress is hands down the best.  Nothing else compares on any level.

Their pillows rock, too!

CJ
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Simmons World Class BeautyRest King size

I'll second that one.  Fortunately, my wife and I both like a very firm mattress, and this one fits us perfectly (and um...other activities are easier on a firm  mattress .) It's super-comfortable, super-quiet, and I can just about leap up out of bed and she can't feel a thing.  I prefer to skip the pillow top.  I don't like them.

Make sure you roll around on the mattress you're looking at.  Some of the ones we looked at were so damn soft, you sank in and could barely roll over at all.  They made me feel trapped.  But I'm a big guy (6'2" - 275 lbs).  Your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Serta pillow top and love it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Simmons World Class BeautyRest King size

I'll second that one...

...and I'll "third."  My wife & I have the same "Mutt & Jeff" thing going on that y'all do.  This mattress is firm & durable & the only one I will buy anymore.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I (we) didn't do any rolling around on it but we I did do some flopping and bouncing on it!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The Temperpedic mattress is hands down the best.  Nothing else compares on any level.

Their pillows rock, too!

CJ

Temperpedics are great.  We went with the European Sleepworks.  They are awesome. It was a bit pricey but not too bad, and it has been a life saver.  I used to have to roll out of bed onto the floor and lay there for fifteen minutes in the morning cause my back hurt so bad.  I have not had a bad night since sleeping on that thing.  Except when we recarpeted and the carpet people put the frame on backward.  I figured it out because my back started hurting again.  As soon as I turned it around, no more pain.  They are out of Berkeley so I don't know if they ship to Texas, but they are the best.

That said, my next choice would be Temperpedic.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:41:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Bigdozer check out this web site if you decide to get either a Select-Comfort or Tempurpedic type bed. They make and sell a copy of both beds and are about 30% less expensive than the brand name and Abed rate very good on different consumer sites. I have two compression fractures in my back and I have a hard time finding a bed that I can sleep well on. I liked the Select-Comfort so I ordered an Abed air bed after researching them and comparing price. The workmanship, design and material are equal as far as I can tell.  I have had it for two years now and love it. If you and the Mrs. Dozer like to do a little rough housing on the mattress you will not like the Tempurpedic type mattress.

www.abed.com/
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:55:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have a Serta pillow top and love it.

I second that whole-heartedly.

Get in your car right now, head directly to Sam's club.  Do not pass go.  Do not collect $200.  Last year, I got a Serta king-size pillowtop set for about $650 at Sam's.  The same setup at the local massive furniture shop cost over $900.  The bedframe that Sam's has is kinda crappy, so you may want to shop elsewhere for that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Sterns and Foster all the way.

The wife and I did about of month of research before we came to a decision on this issue last year.  Before our new bed she would always get a strained neck and I was in constant pain from a back injury.  This bed has changed our freaking life(and its nice to freak on too!)

I would recommend a foam pillowtop rather than the traditional cotten padding, I believe that Sterns refers to this as the Eurotop, but the description may vary between distributors.  Either way get this bed!

SBG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top