Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2005 7:44:17 PM EDT
I'm on the market for a carry-on bag that will hold a 15-inch laptop, a PDA, an iPod, a set of Bose noise-cancelling headphones, an iGo power setup, some files (not many), and a night or two worth of clothes and essentials. Ideally, the computer can be housed in a removable case which I can sling or attach to the bag.

I'd like the bag to be a roller.

Now, what I'm looking for is a recommendation on a manufacturer, because DAMN these things are EXPENSIVE! I've seen Tumi, Swiss Army, and Briggs & Riley. What can you guys tell me about which brand offers the best quality?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:04:13 AM EDT
Uh...... Anyone?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:17:19 AM EDT
You might try this place. Some of the best bags going. Don't know if they have the exact thing you are looking for though. Luggage Works

Cavu
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:42:56 AM EDT
Not quite. Looking for the combo computer/overnight bag.

Still, those prices are better than the others!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:42:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/10/2005 6:47:46 AM EDT by eye_spy]
VICTORINOX

Super cool gear! Check them out. I have the backpack which I use on short trips out of town. Goes well even with a business suit.

[ETA: I see you've listed Swiss Army. Yes, they are a bit pricey ... but from what I have, I can see that the material is tough and well stitched! I like how it is compartamentalized and can hold ones laptop PLUS other gadgets securely! IMHO]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:59:03 AM EDT
I've got a Brenthaven bag I bought about 5 years ago. On the one hand, it's a very durable bag. On the other hand, it's been sitting in a closet for years since I got rid of the laptop I bought it for - It doesn't fit my current laptop.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:55:12 AM EDT
Anyone else?

I finally bumped this during the daytime....
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:05:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/11/2005 11:07:07 AM EDT by Kharn]
I've got this big bastard
It holds my laptop, its power accessories, a complete change of clothes, PJs, electric razor, toothbrush, deoderant, files, MP3 player, etc. I yank out the removable laptop sleeve and put it under the seat in front of me and either put the big bag in the overhead or gate check it on the small puddle jumpers. The noice-canceling headphones are the only item that might be a tight fit when trying to shove it in the overhead, but you can just take those out with the laptop sleeve.

MSRP is $170, minimum advertised price is $100.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:20:32 AM EDT
You can't go wrong with Tumi.

I kind of had a collection of carry on bags/luggage
at one point; Tumi, Filson, Barbour, Orvis,
Halliburton (hard sided), Hunting World,
Gokey, and others. Tumi always seemed more
thoughtfully designed than the others.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:38:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Londo:

Even for the price?

Talk about sticker shock!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:44:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Originally Posted By Londo:

Even for the price?

Talk about sticker shock!

Most designer bags don't last very long. Buy a good bag that will last and do yourself a favor.

I've made many round the world trips with Samsonite, American traveller with no problems. Lately their rivets have been the weak point but in general they are good bags, even though they're now made in China along with everything else under $500.

Designer stuff doesn't hold out.

I use a Port bag for my laptop. It has air cushions and keeps the thing from getting banged around.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:02:38 PM EDT
Well, I'm not sure if Tumi could be considered "designer", but I must admit to wondering WTF they are so expensive....
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:13:54 PM EDT
Must admit, I got my two Tumi bags from
TJ Max, a close-out store. They were
under a hundred dollars each.
Never, ever, pay retail.
Top Top