Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 9:08:40 PM EDT
It must go inside the pants, be made of kydex, have belt loops, and have a thumb break.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
whats the gun?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Not too sure of the gun just yet.  Might be a Glock 23 or 27, or a USP40 Compact.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Why a thumb break?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I have heard good things about side armor, C-TAC and threatsolutions UCR

the C-TAC clips on to the belt unlike the others which have a loop.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I was told that the thumb break and the belt loops (as opposed to belt hooks) would make it harder for someone to steal the gun, and that the increase in time would be insignificant so long as the shooter was proficient.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have heard good things about side armor, C-TAC and threatsolutions UCR

the C-TAC clips on to the belt unlike the others which have a loop.

I was going to recommend a C-TAC until I read about that he requires a thumb break.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was told that the thumb break and the belt loops (as opposed to belt hooks) would make it harder for someone to steal the gun, and that the increase in time would be insignificant so long as the shooter was proficient.

with IWB holsters I dont think I would be worried about someone stealing your gun. How are they going to know its there?  If you need to lift up your shirt you are most likely going to be pulling your pistol out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

OK, I wanted to make sure it wasn't some legal requirement for your area.

You do not want a thumb break on a IWB holster. The gun will be plenty secure if you get a decent one. How would a bad guy even know to try a take away your weapon? It is concealed right? He wouldn't even know it is there until you drew it.

I HIGHLY recommend a Glock 19 in a C-TAC. I carry it everywhere.

ETA: The C-TAC uses clips, not loops, but they are in no way a liability. They allow you to put the holster on and take it off without having to take of your belt, a major plus. They are very secure as well. Just make sure you have a good gun belt of the correct size, and that holster isn't going anywere.

ETA:  Repub beat me to the point about it being concealed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info.  I'll look into the C-tac.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#11]
yeah, you want clips or j hooks for concealabiltiy and comfort. ctac is good i hear. I have a tucker gunleather " The Answer". Half leather/ half kydex. Comfortable as hell. I would hate to have plastic rubbing against me all day.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I wanted to make sure it wasn't some legal requirement for your area.

You do not want a thumb break on a IWB holster. The gun will be plenty secure if you get a decent one. How would a bad guy even know to try a take away your weapon? It is concealed right? He wouldn't even know it is there until you drew it.

I HIGHLY recommend a Glock 19 Springfield MC Operator in a C-TAC. I carry it everywhere.

ETA: The C-TAC uses clips, not loops, but they are in no way a liability. They allow you to put the holster on and take it off without having to take of your belt, a major plus. They are very secure as well. Just make sure you have a good gun belt of the correct size, and that holster isn't going anywere.

ETA:  Repub beat me to the point about it being concealed.

Fixed it for ya!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#13]
What do you guys think of Comp-Tac's Ghurka Slide holster?  What about the Shirt Tucker?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
yeah, you want clips or j hooks for concealabiltiy and comfort. ctac is good i hear. I have a tucker gunleather " The Answer". Half leather/ half kydex. Comfortable as hell. I would hate to have plastic rubbing against me all day.

The Answer is built using C-TAC parts. Looks very cool, but I don't have the funds to drop on another holster right now. Besides, I don't have any comfort issues with my C-TAC. I wear an A-shirt (wife beater) tucked in to my pants, and the holster is between the A-shirt and my pants, so no kydex on skin.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What do you guys think of Comp-Tac's Ghurka Slide holster?

It only has one clip offset, and has one of the clips directly over the gun (as oopsed to both clips offset on the C-TAC). This just adds to the width of the rig. And for what? A little extra stability? The C-TAC is plenty stable, I promise. And that small bit of movement is what makes it so dang comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Can you tell me more about the C-TAC?  I'm worried about the adjustable clips.  What if the screws come loose?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Can you tell me more about the C-TAC?  I'm worried about the adjustable clips.  What if the screws come loose?

I REALLY like it. I have a Milt Sparks Versa Max II for my Sig P229 .40, but since I got the C-TAC for the Glock 19, I have hardly used it. The combination is just so light and thin that I forget it is there. I do recommend wearing an undershirt tucked into your pants so that there is something between the holster and your skin, but I did that with my leather Sparks holster as well.

The screws have not been an issue for me. I found the adjustment that I liked, tightened them down good, and they haven't come loose. If you are concerned about it though, you could always find the right adjustment for you, then loctite the screws in. That way there is no chance of them coming loose.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Also, remember that your belt is the foundation for the entire rig. GET A GOOD GUN BELT. Gun belts are much thicker and stiffer than regular belts, and they are a necessity if you are going to carry.

Milt Sparks makes very nice gun belts. You know how an old belt has a curve to it? Sparks belts come with curve built in, so they are very comfortable right off the bat.

Another good belt option is the Wilderness Instructor Belt.

You must get holster clips that match the width of your belt, so keep that in mind when you are putting your rig together.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I just use a belt i got from Structure. Yeah the fancy store. It is a thick leather belt and works great. I have two of them I don't know what I will do once they wear out.

I knew Tucker used Ctac parts. It is expensive , but one damn comfortable and hand made peice of work let me tell you. I carry a G23 btw.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Good info.  Thanks, thelastgunslinger.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I just use a belt i got from Structure. Yeah the fancy store. It is a thick leather belt and works great. I have two of them I don't know what I will do once they wear out.

I knew Tucker used Ctac parts. It is expensive , but one damn comfortable and hand made peice of work let me tell you. I carry a G23 btw.

Good choice on the G23. That will almost certainly be my next handgun purchase, since it will be readily compatible with my G19 stuff.

I know Structure made some fairly thick belts, but they are nowhere near as thick and supportive as a Milt Sparks belt. If you put the two side by side, you would see that there really is no comparison. For me, it is well worth it, as I would rather have the load of the gun supported by an ultra stiff belt than by my hips, but if it works for you, then go for it.

When those belts do wear out, I highly recommend you look at belts that are designed to support a gun, I think you will be very pleased with the results.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quick last question, what size belts are the C-TAC's clips made for?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

When those belts do wear out, I highly recommend you look at belts that are designed to support a gun, I think you will be very pleased with the results.

I will, my friend, I will..... I may even buy one sooner because you got me thinkin bout' it.

Nice avatar by the way. I seem to remember seeing that somewhre before... like on a western pulp cover.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Quick last question, what size belts are the C-TAC's clips made for?

Their standard size is 1.5", which is what I use, but you can specify a different size if you need it.

I like 1.5" because it is wide enough to offer good support, but not so wide that the belt starts to look like an obvious gun/utility belt
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Nice avatar by the way. I seem to remember seeing that somewhre before... like on a western pulp cover.

It (and my screenname) come from the Dark Tower series of books by Stephen King. Very fun reading.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top