Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 11:53:31 AM EDT
I would like to get a jeep wranger and I heard that 4cyl engines are bad. Are they and what should I look for when buying a jeep? this will be my 1st one, like is there a type of suspension that is better during a year. I plan on doing some off roading and this will be my everyday driver.

thanks
Dan
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quick reply.

For comfort, look for a '97 and later TJ.  Coil springs sure do make commuting more enjoyable.

For the serious offroader, look for a CJ7 or a YJ.  Leafs kick ass offroad.

By the way, I use my 89 YJ as a daily driver and my offroad / hunting rig.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
As a daily driver, you would be much better off with a TJ with a 4.0.  Just has better street manners than a CJ or YJ.

Stay away from the 4 banger.  If you ever want to put tires larger than 31's on it, the 4 cylinder will start to bog down.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Plus, there's practically no MPG advantage to going to the I4.  The I6 struggles to get 17mpg and the I4 struggles to get 20mpg.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I just bought my first jeep 2 weeks ago so I am by FAR not a jeep expert but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

The rubicon is the BAD ASS off road dream they usually run a few grand more.

The unlimited series has a few feet longer back end if you want more room.

But as everyone has already said just get a straight six 4.0l
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Not an expert but I am on my third Wrangler............................

As the others say, skip the 4cyl. No advantage at ALL in MPG or otherwise & you can't tow shit with it.  

Make SURE you have a mechanic go over the vehicle before you buy it!!!! Manual tranny's tend to wear out their synchronizers quickly, IMO. I got an auto in my last two Wranglers & will never do otherwise with a vehicle I buy. Too much rush hour traffic for a stick, IMO.

Be sure to put it up on a lift & look ALL underneath. Make sure the drive train has been properly serviced, i.e. fluids changed! Avoid one with oversized tires! Chances are the owner thought it was a Baja 500 vehicle & drove it like that.

Try to find one with a hard top if you can. Soft tops offer NO security for guns or stereos! You can easily take the doors off a hardtop & get all the air you want.

Be sure to lift up the interior carpet & check for mud or rust. Both would be a deal killer, IMO.

I would only look at the TJ Wranglers in the 1997-2006 years. Before that was the YJ with the GD square headlights & they had some manual tranny issues as well. CJ's are okay but are usually high mileage. The JK is too new to have a good price on it most likely.

Keep in mind that almost anything on a Wrangler can be changed out by the owner: axles, tops, seats, carpet, wheels, etc. etc. so if you find one in good mechanical shape but you hate something about its looks, you can easily change it.

Best parts options are Quadratec & 4WD Parts. Both carry many of the same things from the same mfgrs but they also each have proprietary items as well.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As a daily driver, you would be much better off with a TJ with a 4.0.  Just has better street manners than a CJ or YJ.

Stay away from the 4 banger.  If you ever want to put tires larger than 31's on it, the 4 cylinder will start to bog down.

Beg to differ I have a 98 tj I4 with 33x12x50 Pro com extreems! Does just fine, but I do have 4.88 gears front and rear which does help. But before I had stock 4.10's with 32x 11x 50 and they would turn fine Also with the 4 get the chip throttle spacer and Kn you will be fine!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I drive a 06 Unlimited Wrangler with the I6 and the 6 speed manual trans daily. Most of the time I get right around 20 MPG.

Stay the fuck away from any 4 cyl with the Peugeot piece of shit manual trans. The more I think about it just stay the fuck away from the 4 cyl models all together.

The manual transmissions offered with the I6 are all adequate to bulletproof. Make sure you check the fan/climate controls.

If it leaks oil check the valve cover, front timing seal, and rear main seal. It almost always one of the three and not difficult to fix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top