Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/24/2004 8:01:06 PM EST
I saw somebody made a post about the this item you wear on your wrist. It use's GPS to tel you how far and fast you ran. Can some please tell me what its called and where the best place to get one is.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:25:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:59:41 AM EST
The one you asked about is called the 201 and it is great. It would not however be a good camping GPS there is one that is some kind of sailing device that is like a Geko and would do ok. I cant remember the number for it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:22:14 PM EST
Check out www.timex.com. They have two watches in the Iron Man Series that have GPS. They cost about $200.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:01:32 AM EST
I have the Garmin 201 model. I was a little suspicious of actually using something like this, but so far it is great!!

I have never particulary paid attention to my pace and time, just kind of trained informally. But this thing is cool. If you are going to be serious about your pace, I would get one.

The navigation function is okay, but just shows a bread crumb trail on a blank background, there is no "map". You can use it to get from and to points you have marked.

I also had it lose the satellite signal in woods and hills, so probably better in the open.

What do you have, 3 weeks til the half marathon?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:14:50 AM EST
I Have the 201 Forerunner also, I like it!

the pace guy feature is pretty cool. First time I used it I thought it wasn't working right... but I acutally out ran him

I have had the occasional (~2x) 'loss of signal' problem out in the open, but other than that, works great.

I also wear it for my PT tests (which I'll be taking again tomorrow)
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:22:34 PM EST
Yeah I got 3 weeks left till the half Marathon. I got 2 more long days planned in the next week and a half then its time to taper down. Getting pretty fired up for it. I went out and got new shoes Thursday.

I am thinking about the Garmin as a Christmas present kinda wondering about it losing signal in the woods and the park.
Top Top