Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/29/2005 10:39:22 AM EDT
Don't know if this belongs in the Religion forum due to it's content, but after watching "Alive"(for the zillionth time) I was wondering if anyone knows a chapter and verse relating to the eating of human flesh for survival.

And.....would ya do it? I mean if you had to.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:42:06 AM EDT
Ya.. But I beleve you would need to deep tissue marinade it for at least 24 hrs.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:44:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By geezhound:
Don't know if this belongs in the Religion forum due to it's content, but after watching "Alive"(for the zillionth time) I was wondering if anyone knows a chapter and verse relating to the eating of human flesh for survival.

only if i had a can of bush's beans to go with it
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:45:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 10:46:05 AM EDT by DarkHalf]
Read the Bible for yourself, you might find it if it is there.

But I never have.

In that situation I would do what I need to do to survive.

So would you...the instinct of life is THAT strong.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:49:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 10:50:17 AM EDT by olyarms]

Lev. 26:29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters.

And unlesss its the flesh a jesus the bible isnt cool with it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:54:46 AM EDT
There is an account in the OT of a city that was under siege and a woman complained to the king because she and a friend had an agreement to eat the first woman's child, then later the second woman's, but then the second woman hid her child.

I'm not aware of any authorization to do so, but this story says that when people got hungry they did it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:55:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 10:55:54 AM EDT by BenDover]
There's a verse that the Yaweh's Witnesses use to justify letting their children die on an emergency room table for want of a simple blood transfusion. They believe that a transfusion is cannibalism. I can't remember it offhand though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:55:45 AM EDT
You people do understand that the arrival of Jesus nullified much of the OT right?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:55:46 AM EDT

A quick google finds at least 13,876 sources - some of which are:

What the Bible says about Cannibalism

Sometimes God forces people to eat other people, often their own children or other family members.

"I also will do this unto you... You shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it." -- Leviticus 26:16

"And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat." -- Leviticus 26:29

"And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters." -- Deuteronomy 28:53

"And toward her young one that cometh out from between her feet, and toward her children which she shall bear: for she shall eat them." -- Deuteronomy 28:57

"Through the wrath of the LORD of hosts is the land darkened, and the people shall be as the fuel of the fire: no man shall spare his brother. And he shall snatch on the right hand, and be hungry; and he shall eat on the left hand, and they shall not be satisfied: they shall eat every man the flesh of his own arm." -- Isaiah 9:19-20

"And I will feed them that oppress thee with their own flesh; and they shall be drunken with their own blood, as with sweet wine." -- Isaiah 49:26

"And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend." -- Jeremiah 19:9

"Therefore the fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers." -- Ezekiel 5:10

"I will not feed you: that that dieth, let it die; and that that is to be cut off, let it be cut off; and let the rest eat every one the flesh of another." -- Zechariah 11:9

Sometimes the Bible just reports, often with apparent relish, cases of cannibalism.

"This woman said unto me, Give thy son, that we may eat him to day, and we will eat my son to morrow. So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him." 2 Kings 6:28-29

"The hands of the pitiful women have sodden their own children: they were their meat." -- Lamentations 4:10

"Who pluck off their skin from off them, and their flesh from off their bones; Who also eat the flesh of my people, and flay their skin from off them; and they break their bones, and chop them in pieces, as for the pot, and as flesh within the caldron." -- Micah 3:2-3

"Heap on wood, kindle the fire, consume the flesh, and spice it well, and let the bones be burned. Then set it empty upon the coals thereof, that the brass of it may be hot, and may burn, and that the filthiness of it may be molten in it, that the scum of it may be consumed. She hath wearied herself with lies, and her great scum went not forth out of her: her scum shall be in the fire. -- Ezekiel 24:10-12

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:56:39 AM EDT
Thou shalt not eat thy neigbor
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:59:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 11:03:29 AM EDT by cheaptrickfan]
And all these years I thought the PIE was free!!!

Now I'm gonna need to say 10 Hail Marys, 4 Our Fathers and abstain from beer!!

eta - abstain from beer for 2 days.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:01:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DarkHalf:
You people do understand that the arrival of Jesus nullified much of the OT right?

Hey DarkHalf, Stop trying to hijack a Jewish guy's thread with a Jesus discussion.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:03:45 AM EDT

"And Jesus said, 'Take this bread, and eat, this is my body...'"

Or is that not the one you mean?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:04:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NonConformist:
Thou shalt not eat thy neigbor

Some things don't need to be in the Bible to know the right answer to.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:12:29 AM EDT

If you belive this than you must be against capital punishment. Jesus was however the OT is for it. Eye for an eye my man. However Jesus didn't teach this. He was a savior of compassion while god is a god of little mercy, simply read the OT for word for word.

Death to those who go against the 10 commandments, selling daughters into slavery and so on. People just want to read into what fits their beliefs. More modern Christians have done away with most of the OT teachings however that wasn't always the case look at the 1600's.

Okay Im off to go eat.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:19:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cheaptrickfan:

A quick google finds at least 13,876 sources - some of which are:

What the Bible says about Cannibalism

Sometimes God forces people to eat other people, often their own children or other family members.

"I also will do this unto you... You shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it." -- Leviticus 26:16

"And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat." -- Leviticus 26:29

"And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters." -- Deuteronomy 28:53

"And toward her young one that cometh out from between her feet, and toward her children which she shall bear: for she shall eat them." -- Deuteronomy 28:57

"Through the wrath of the LORD of hosts is the land darkened, and the people shall be as the fuel of the fire: no man shall spare his brother. And he shall snatch on the right hand, and be hungry; and he shall eat on the left hand, and they shall not be satisfied: they shall eat every man the flesh of his own arm." -- Isaiah 9:19-20

"And I will feed them that oppress thee with their own flesh; and they shall be drunken with their own blood, as with sweet wine." -- Isaiah 49:26

"And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend." -- Jeremiah 19:9

"Therefore the fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers." -- Ezekiel 5:10

"I will not feed you: that that dieth, let it die; and that that is to be cut off, let it be cut off; and let the rest eat every one the flesh of another." -- Zechariah 11:9

Sometimes the Bible just reports, often with apparent relish, cases of cannibalism.

"This woman said unto me, Give thy son, that we may eat him to day, and we will eat my son to morrow. So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him." 2 Kings 6:28-29

"The hands of the pitiful women have sodden their own children: they were their meat." -- Lamentations 4:10

"Who pluck off their skin from off them, and their flesh from off their bones; Who also eat the flesh of my people, and flay their skin from off them; and they break their bones, and chop them in pieces, as for the pot, and as flesh within the caldron." -- Micah 3:2-3

"Heap on wood, kindle the fire, consume the flesh, and spice it well, and let the bones be burned. Then set it empty upon the coals thereof, that the brass of it may be hot, and may burn, and that the filthiness of it may be molten in it, that the scum of it may be consumed. She hath wearied herself with lies, and her great scum went not forth out of her: her scum shall be in the fire. -- Ezekiel 24:10-12

Most of those aren't about literal cannibalism, though some are.

Long story short- cannibalism ain't a good thing in the Bible.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:34:33 AM EDT
I also found the umpteen bazillion results, but I just figured someone would know one off hand.

Like: (blank) ate (blank) and God did say (blank).

Something to that effect.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:35:31 AM EDT

I also found the umpteen bazillion results, but I just figured someone would know one off hand.

Like: (blank) ate (blank) and God did say (blank).

Something to that effect.

Eating people is a bad thing in the bible. Not really anything in the bible in regards to what your looking for.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:37:07 PM EDT
What about Bible Zombies?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:40:38 PM EDT
i have tasted cooked human skin, it was like the fat on a steak..
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:43:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ring:
i have tasted cooked human skin, it was like the fat on a steak..

OK, then.... thanx for sharing.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:43:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By olyarms:

If you belive this than you must be against capital punishment.

Show me where Jesus speaks of being against capital punishment.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:53:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By olyarms:

If you belive this than you must be against capital punishment.

Show me where Jesus speaks of being against capital punishment.

Apparently olyarms fails to understand the meaning of the word "much."

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:55:32 PM EDT
Hey, I'm no Bible expert, but I have read it a few times and I never recall Jesus saying such a thing.

I have also found that most people that try to use the bible as a weapon against Christians have never actually read it.

I could be wrong about oly, if I am then i expect him to be able to show me the EXACT verse where it is said.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:17:49 AM EDT
If you pick up the book Alive -- the one about the South American soccer team whose plane crashed in the Andes, where the survivors resorted to cannibalism of the passengers who had died -- you'll find that the religious leaders in their country issued a statement, after the rescue, that their cannibalism was acceptable in order to survive in such a situation. They were probably Catholic (I don't recall for sure, it's been a while since I read it); other branches of Christianity may have other interpretations.

Obviously, going out and whacking your mother-in-law to make a stew just because she pisses you off is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:18:01 AM EDT

Sure...esp. if she was hot.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:19:44 AM EDT

I think I know what you mean, but Jesus himself said in Matthew 5:17:

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the law until everything is accomplished."
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:36:55 AM EDT
Try Leviticus. It makes damn near everything a sin, shellfish, etc.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:19:03 AM EDT
This may not be on topic, but 13 years ago I took a girl to see Alive for our first date.

We got married about 3 months later!

Who would have thought that was the perfect date movie?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:15:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Jon3:
Try Leviticus. It makes damn near everything a sin, shellfish, etc.

Not so much a sin as a "you shouldn't do that"; notice that most of the forbidden things involve hygeine or other health issues. "Don't do that; it'll kill you or make important parts of you fall off."
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:20:15 AM EDT
The thing is, you cannot just pull out a single verse and say 'Look here, this is what the Bible says'
You have to read, and apply it, in the context in which it was written. This is especially important in the Old Testament as much of it was written as poetry or in symbolism.
Top Top