Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2003 4:50:43 AM EDT
I want an AR-15 and have a limited budget, and elsewhere (In the proper forum!!!) I learned about building one of these rifles.  I was told a lower receiver goes for around $100 and that was confirmed visiting a couple of websites.  However, I haven't yet been able to locate a local FFL willing to handle the transfer.

I saw a site that advertised a kit with the paperwork, etc., to guide you through the process of getting an FFL.  Considering the fact that advertising generally tells you half the story, I decided to tap into the storehouses of wisdom and experience reposited in this collection of ordered ones and zeros.

How much hassle is involved in the FFL process?
How difficult is it to get through the BATFE approval process?
Is it worth it in the end (not planning on a business- just personal convenience).
Any other comments would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:06:50 AM EDT
[#1]
You will not get an FFL to use just for personal convenience. You MUST be in the business for profit. You must also have a storefront with business hours or your application will be denied.

The kits are pretty much bullshit, since you can get everything in the kit free of charge from the ATF by just calling them up and requesting it. These people get everything for free and then sell it to people who don't know any better.

So, unless you plan on trying to sell some stuff and you have a place to conduct the business, I'd say you're better off finding a good FFL that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for transfers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:09:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried searching for a local FFL on gunbroker?

[url]http://gunbroker.com/user/DealerNetwork.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#3]
ATF has really clamped down on casual FFL’s and, IIRC, the number of FFL holders has plummeted the past few years.  

You need to check out ATF’s website before pursuing this further and definitely before you buy a “FFL kit”.  I’m fairly certain you’ll need a storefront before ATF will give you a license.

While always worthy on an argument, building an AR to save money doesn’t work very well unless you’ve got free access to the specialized tools you need to assemble it or unless you’re getting one with the upper already partially assembled.

Plus you need to get a [b]good[/b] parts kit.  Just buying the cheapest kit will probably result in an AR that will never work right!!  Suggest you touch base with the guys in our Build it Yourself Forum before buying a kit (and maybe you have).

If you still want to do it yourself, you might check gunbroker.com and/or auctionarms.com for their list of dealers in your state that handle transfers.  You might have better luck talking to these dealers.  

Edited to add that I see a couple of guys have already covered some of this – my slow typing fingers do me in again!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:25:01 AM EDT
[#4]
what about c&r licences?

Are these easy to obtain?  and what is the benefit of having one?

i know certain retailers will sell stuff to you for wholesale price if you have a C&R.

*edited for spelling
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:35:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Where in SC are you? I have several sources that can help you. Hell, I think I have one laying in the wings I'd probably sell you as a private sale. I'm in Columbia. I have a nice DPMS complete lower extra right now. Maybe even a Cav Arms.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Gun-fan-
I'm in Summerville, straight down 26 just above Chucktown.  I usually ride up to Columbia a couple times a month, so pick up wouldn't be a problem.  Sometimes I do a 200-mile round trip on my bike to get a burger at Fuddruckers.  I'm a relative newbie, trying to gain some knowledge & experience.  The biggest point that I think I've learned is the difference between forged & cast receivers.  Let me know if you want to part with one.

From what I've read in the builders' forum I'm thinking about getting a kit from J&T with the upper already assembled, headspaced, & test fired.  Seems like a safe way to get started.  I built a T/C .50 Hawken kit, but this is a different animal.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget the fact that as a dealer you are more apt to be hammered for assembling rifles and not collecting Federal Excise tax if you decide to sell them.  Granted, you probably won't be getting a manufacturing type FFL, but you should still be aware that by building them yourself you are actually giving yourself an 11% discount on the rifle.

Craig
RCSUnlimited.com
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:03:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like you guys may have saved me some headaches and frustration.  Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Send me an e-mail. I have the tools to build your upper as well. What's your poison on the motorcycle?
Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top