Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 9:53:02 PM EDT
I started a new job as an appliance repairman about a month and a half ago and I'd like to find a good compact multimeter. Fluke is out at the moment because of price.

Brent
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:15:48 PM EDT
I am a cheap SOB when it comes to some around the house tools, but if you are going to be a repairman spring for the Flukes. The lowest end Flukes are not too bad on the price, and are a nice product. They should do everything you need for appliances. And you will look professional. Looks/perception count for some of your customers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:19:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 10:19:45 PM EDT by adair_usmc]

Originally Posted By red-don:
I am a cheap SOB when it comes to some around the house tools, but if you are going to be a repairman spring for the Flukes. The lowest end Flukes are not too bad on the price, and are a nice product. They should do everything you need for appliances. And you will look professional. Looks/perception count for some of your customers.

+1

We had some cheap CAT5 testers at work that the we had to keep replacing. I finally got the boss to spring for flukes. You get what you pay for, definately.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:22:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 10:24:40 PM EDT by MudBug]
I have a Greenlee DM 110 that seems to work real good and gets good reviews, but it seems to be an older model.

Here's one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:32:07 PM EDT
Look at some of what Ideal and Greenlee have to offer..... I'm an electrician and have found both to be pretty damn good quality, and a little cheaper than the Flukes.....

I'd say save your loot and buy a good meter ONCE, and never again, but if you need something with the quickness, Give em a shot..... They're absolutely NOT junk, so you wont be disappointed either way.

JB
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:53:20 PM EDT
If you can't swing a Fluke, try a Wavetek/Meterman or an Extech, probably in that order.

I have experience with all three, and they have proven to be reasonably reliable. Fluke is the undisputed top of the line though.

Jim
Top Top