Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/1/2018 9:54:15 PM EDT
My current pair of Haix R1's are starting to get worn out. My new boss says they will work for wildland response but he thinks they are going to be too heavy. While yes they are a tad bit on the heavy side they are also very comfortable and protect my feet extremely well. 6 years of heavy use on Ems calls, Crash Scenes, Highway Traffic control, Wildfire and fire ground ops and they are just now starting to show abuse.

Personally if i can have my way i will just get another pair of them but let's say that i don't. What are some other good ones for under $500?

I would also highly prefer if they were lace less or had a zipper like the R1's. I don't want to worry about tripping or catching my laces on brush.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 1:06:30 AM EDT
A wildland FF that I work with wears Lowa Baffin Pro.

Link Posted: 6/2/2018 1:13:48 AM EDT
If your only going to wear them for Wildland I'd get a pair of White's. I keep them in my brush bag and put them on if I need them, Other wise I wear Redbacks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 2:06:02 AM EDT
I’m in the second year for a pair of danner wildlands. I didn’t want the big lug heel of the whites style and have always had good enough experiences with danner. They are lace ups but really comfortable for 12+ hours at a time. I think they were something like $350 or $400 but my department paid for $300 of it and I had a coupon and dividend at REI so I was like $70 out of pocket. Like all boots though try them on to determine if they fit your feet. There are a few new “backpacking” style boots out there that are popular if you google around but I couldn’t find any locally to try before I bought.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 7:36:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/3/2018 7:39:26 AM EDT by marksman121]
Most comfortable ones so far have been Danner Loggers for hiking in. If you are mostly going to be working off an engine look at the newer hiking boot styles w/o the logger heel. Being in TX I am assuming you guys do wildland mostly with Type-6s and pump and roll?

Never liked Whites *gasp!*

Originally Posted By sefus:
I’m in the second year for a pair of danner wildlands. I didn’t want the big lug heel of the whites style and have always had good enough experiences with danner. They are lace ups but really comfortable for 12+ hours at a time. I think they were something like $350 or $400 but my department paid for $300 of it and I had a coupon and dividend at REI so I was like $70 out of pocket. Like all boots though try them on to determine if they fit your feet. There are a few new “backpacking” style boots out there that are popular if you google around but I couldn’t find any locally to try before I bought.
View Quote
Were those the Danner Wildland Tactical FF boots?

If so I have been eyeballing the new version with smooth leather instead of the suede.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:59:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/4/2018 2:24:05 PM EDT by sefus]
Yep I got the suede and love them except command always asks if they are approved lol
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 5:15:52 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By marksman121:
Most comfortable ones so far have been Danner Loggers for hiking in. If you are mostly going to be working off an engine look at the newer hiking boot styles w/o the logger heel. Being in TX I am assuming you guys do wildland mostly with Type-6s and pump and roll?

Never liked Whites *gasp!*

Were those the Danner Wildland Tactical FF boots?

If so I have been eyeballing the new version with smooth leather instead of the suede.
View Quote
Mostly working off either a Dozer or engine. The Danners look nice however the closest store to me is roughly 100 miles away. I do however have a Red wing store near me but i am unfamiliar with their products.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 8:42:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TexasSkywarn:

Mostly working off either a Dozer or engine. The Danners look nice however the closest store to me is roughly 100 miles away. I do however have a Red wing store near me but i am unfamiliar with their products.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure Red Wing doesn't make anything that is NFPA 1977 certified for wildland firefighting. One boot I will say to 100% stay away from in the Thorogood EMS/Wildland boot, way too big and clunky for the intended use.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:32:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RRTX:
I'm pretty sure Red Wing doesn't make anything that is NFPA 1977 certified for wildland firefighting. One boot I will say to 100% stay away from in the Thorogood EMS/Wildland boot, way too big and clunky for the intended use.
View Quote
Yeah i have my original pair of Thorogood structural boots from the academy. Oversized uncomfortable POS. Against all recommendations i bought my own pair of Haix fire heroes just for the academy. Best $200 i have ever spent. I also use them now for the VFD as my main bunker boots. The thorogood's are strictly a mud boot now. I will admit that i am fanboy of Haix. Other than weight and cost i don't see what's wrong with getting a new pair of R1's for Wildland duty.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:01:25 PM EDT
I like a lace up because I think you get more ankle support. Out here on the west coast we almost always go with the logger boot. The taller heel helps dig in going down hill. I got White Hathorns and never looked back. Never had a problem with laces, I just double knotted them.
Top Top