Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2020 3:49:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought this for my gun safe.  You can probably find a smaller kit, but keeping the motion sensor...

Amazon Product
  • NO.1 Best-Selling LED lighting kit on Amazon: 12\u2019\u2019 LED light bars + motion sensor + UL-Listed A/C Power adapter + extra 12\u2019\u2019 extension cables + (15) screws

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The problem with all the electronic units is that they require a large ratio to switch on.

If they would add an actual mechanical switch to the sensor switch they would work far better.

The various "motion sensor' lights will not turn on when daylight is present.

I want my under cabinets lights to come on even when the room is lit by daylight.

Every one I have tried will not operates in a simple on/off mode .
I will gladly tolerate having to actually touch a mechanical switch to turn on the light.
Put a switch in the circuit.

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
What's wrong with a mechanical switch? There are switches that turn the lights off when a door is shut and turn on the lights when the door is opened. "Normally Closed" switch.

I have seen a glass door cabinet that used a touch dimmer switch on one of the hinges(any metal surface such as a hinge or pull). I don't think this is the right switch for the job, but it was cool to see.

I guess they have normally closed mag switches for low voltage lights.

Are you looking for a battery operated all in one unit? Do you mind wiring up some strip lighting?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-3-in-Motion-Activated-LED-White-Puck-Light-3-Pack-H-17M-3PK/305663408
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:16:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't mind wiring in a magnetic switch if the motion won't work.
View Quote

Came here to post this.

Cheap motion stuff is kinda hit or miss in my experience.  
I'd advise integrating the light into the electrics of the fridge vs. some battery-powered stick-on contraption.  And if you're going that far, the mag switch is a clean and elegant solution.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I used these as under cabinet lighting and they work great, rechargeable so no wiring involved. Mounts via a magnet and has a motion sensor.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used these as under cabinet lighting and they work great, rechargeable so no wiring involved. Mounts via a magnet and has a motion sensor.

www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q7H4P4B
View Quote

Will not operate during the day when the ambient light is significant.
I probably should tear one apart and figure out how to interconnect them with  a  single wire.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a rechargeable that had a day or night mode.  It looked like a sweet piece of hardware and put out excellent light.   Damn thing would turn off and then right back on each time.  I sent it back and used some of my tape LEDs and a mag switch (for a closet).  It is what I should have done in the first place.

Read the reviews.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I epulw rig a push button so that when the door is opened the light comes on.
That is how refrigerators operated forever.
A few now use magnets and reed switches now.

You could hide a reed switch in the edge of the door
framing and put a magnet in the door.
When the magnet is near the reed switch the contacts are held open.
When the magnet moves away, the contacts close.
They are usually sealed in a small glass tube with a tiny amount o
mercury to make them reliable longer term.
The mercury wets the mating surfaces of the reed switch elements.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top