Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 7:55:05 PM EDT

Always wanted a Fender Sunburst Strat with maple neck... Only for the last 25 years!!!

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Real men play Telecasters.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Where's the whammy bar????
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I once saw someone playing a Telecaster through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier full-stack.  I thought I was in an alternate dimension or somthing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I think that this animation is entirely appropriate:
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought it was a firearm...  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Real men use their fingers....

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Ummm........ Er.........

Just how hard is it to learn to play one of those?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice looking guitar Frige.

Guess that bumping up your service call fees worked out well.

Any spiders in the body?  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad to hear an ARFCOMMER got the toy of his dreams, even though I don't know a damned thing about what  am looking at!

One of our guys out here hurt a finger pretty bad. He asked the doctor if he'd be able to play the guitar after it healed.

"Sure. No problem." said the Medico.

"Hey, that's great," said Tom. "I don't play now."

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Oh there is a funny story that goes with it. I realized about 2 hours after I got home that I was missing the bar... called the dealer and he said "OH SHIT!!! SORRY!! want me to bring it to you? "

I thought that was cool. Im gonna go pick it up tomorrow

Traded in my kramer Ferrington acoustic bass for it. I havedly EVER played that thing... I was gorgeous but was a guitar stand queen and dust collector.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Y'er gonna damage y'er eardrums
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh there is a funny story that goes with it. I realized about 2 hours after I got home that I was missing the bar... called the dealer and he said "OH SHIT!!! SORRY!! want me to bring it to you? "

Traded in my kramer Ferrington acoustic bass for it. I havedly EVER played that thing... I was gorgeous but was a guitar stand queen and dust collector.

I need a dust collector. There is sawdust everywhere in my garage. Is Delta (not Quantas) a good way to go?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Really?

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Nice looking guitar Frige.

Guess that bumping up your service call fees worked out well.

Any spiders in the body?  

Those havent even kicked in yet! and NO>>>> NO FUCKING SPIDERS!!! I HATE spiders....
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I need a dust collector. There is sawdust everywhere in my garage. Is Delta (not Quantas) a good way to go?

The answer to that is in the TEAM FORUM... pony up for a membership and you will have your answer bro!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#20]
On a traditional fulcrum trem bridge, the proper nomenclature for the bar is "the knock it out of tune bar".

Nice axe, enjoy it. I have tons of strats and teles, although most of mine are homemade I still have a couple originals.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Hecho in Mexico ah?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Ahh, those bridges don't hold tune very well when you get on the whammy!  I never used mine on my strat.   Had a Floyd Rose on a Wasburn N-2 once.  Talk about a bitch to set up, but it was great for getting some dives and some nice vibrato.  

Frige, is it a USA strat, or mexican?

I have a black/blonde mexican strat... rewired with three off/on switches for the p/us, moved the volume to the bottom knob, and the center knob is a master tone.  Removed the top knob altogether.  It gets in the way of my pick hand.    The switches also let me get pickup combinations that weren't possible with the 5 position switch, although dropping down to the bridge only isn't as easy as a flick of the finger anymore!  

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

www.electroharmonix.co.jp/radial/img/ericjohnson_pic_280w.jpg

ha, that's interesting... I knew Eric Johnson's goddaughter in highschool.  Her dad (Max Crace) is EJ's official photographer, though he used to play drums with EJ.  His ex wife Gay Crace is on one of EJ's album covers.

Too bad the girl was a beeyotch.  I haven't heard from her or seen her in years.  Not that I care.   Just an interesting thing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Very nice Frige
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh, those bridges don't hold tune very well when you get on the whammy!  I never used mine on my strat.   Had a Floyd Rose on a Wasburn N-2 once.  Talk about a bitch to set up, but it was great for getting some dives and some nice vibrato.  

I have a black/blonde mexican strat... rewired with three off/on switches for the p/us, moved the volume to the bottom knob, and the center knob is a master tone.  Removed the top knob altogether.  It gets in the way of my pick hand.    The switches also let me get pickup combinations that weren't possible with the 5 position switch, although dropping down to the bridge only isn't as easy as a flick of the finger anymore!  

MIM. The MIA's were like 900.00!!! and I dont have that kind of cash... When I can play like Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson , Stevie Ray Vaughn and Kenny Wayne Sheppard to the "T" I will reward myself with a nice MIA Strat.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Very nice Frige

Why thank you ma'am!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MIM. The MIA's were like 900.00!!! and I dont have that kind of cash... When I can play like Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson , Stevie Ray Vaughn and Kenny Wayne Sheppard to the "T" I will reward myself with a nice MIA Strat.

Get a used one for 4-500 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too late....besides, there isn't a whole hell of a lot of difference in quality betwen the MIM and MIA base line strats now. AFAIC, the entry level US Fenders are not boutique instruments. Slopped together just like they do overseas, pretty much. I've seen some with undressed frets, sloppy woodwork on the necks, finish blems....things that should not be on a $1000+ guitar.

Fender is the Bose of the musical instrument world. They're a huge conglomerate, their line is mostly running on reputation, not on quality. That is unless you spend way too much on one, and in that case you could have bought two guitars of better make for the same coin. Godin & Carvin make better instruments that cost half what the top end Fenders do.

Now, on their cheap stuff and imported lines, you get a pretty decent guitar for not much $$. In cheap guitars, the quality has gone up alot in recent years.....it really has. I have a $200 DeArmond that's Korean made, but is a wonderful instrument....really great quality and sound. It plays as well as my Les Paul that would cost $2,000 to buy new.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:42:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too late....besides, there isn't a whole hell of a lot of difference in quality betwen the MIM and MIA base line strats now. AFAIC, the entry level US Fenders are not boutique instruments. Slopped together just like they do overseas, pretty much. I've seen some with undressed frets, sloppy woodwork on the necks, finish blems....things that should not be on a $1000+ guitar.

Fender is the Bose of the musical instrument world. They're a huge conglomerate, their line is mostly running on reputation, not on quality. That is unless you spend way too much on one, and in that case you could have bought two guitars of better make for the same coin. Godin & Carvin make better instruments that cost half what the top end Fenders do.

Now, on their cheap stuff and imported lines, you get a pretty decent guitar for not much $$. In cheap guitars, the quality has gone up alot in recent years.....it really has. I have a $200 DeArmond that's Korean made, but is a wonderful instrument....really great quality and sound. It plays as well as my Les Paul that would cost $2,000 to buy new.

ofcourse they are slopped together.  Handmade guitars are uber expensive.  What you get with a American guitar is better pickups, hardware (tuners, bridge), wood and electronics.  Basically everything.  Its about one or two steps up in almost every part.  Its a parts upgrade with about the same care taken in assembly.

I prefer the upgrades.  And if you play daily you will certainly enjoy the hardware upgrades even if you don't like the pickups and wood etc.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:22:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
pyzeppelin.free.fr/photos/page/jim68_telecaster.jpg

We're not worthy!
We're not worthy!

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:30:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice

I should post the pic of you with a guitar when you were younger
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Nice

I should post the pic of you with a guitar when you were younger

I thought I burned all those!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

tell that to Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Maybe it got lost in the 80's?  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#35]

.......this thread needs more cowbell......
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice!

Add a set of Duncan Antiquity II's and your all set.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Nice!

What do you like about them?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice!

To my ears, they are the best set of vintage sounding strat pickups that I've ever owned. They are seem to be geared towards classic rock though, definitely not high output pickups. The neck pickup really nails the Hendrix type tones, and the notch positions are great. The bridge/middle position screams 'Sultans of Swing.'  The biggest complaint most people have with them over at the Duncan forum, is that the bridge pup alone is too bright. I always disconnect my middle tone and wire it to the bridge pup anyway, so that I can roll off some of the highs.

All this pickup/tone stuff is so subjective. They work for me, YMMV
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ofcourse they are slopped together.  Handmade guitars are uber expensive.  What you get with a American guitar is better pickups, hardware (tuners, bridge), wood and electronics.  Basically everything.  Its about one or two steps up in almost every part.  Its a parts upgrade with about the same care taken in assembly.

I prefer the upgrades.  And if you play daily you will certainly enjoy the hardware upgrades even if you don't like the pickups and wood etc.

True enough, but you can buy a MIM strat, ditch the entire guts, and buy a Carvin pickguard loaded with decent electronics that drops right in, and you'll STILL be cheaper than the USA strat.

$10 worth of shielding and an hour of your time and it'll be quiet too.

And, fwiw, stock fender PU/electronics are still bottom-of-the-barrel components if you wanna be honest. It's not like they use premium switches or pickups...it's bread and butter crap.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn, that's sweet!

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#41]
What caliber is it?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice!

To my ears, they are the best set of vintage sounding strat pickups that I've ever owned. They are seem to be geared towards classic rock though, definitely not high output pickups. The neck pickup really nails the Hendrix type tones, and the notch positions are great. The bridge/middle position screams 'Sultans of Swing.'  The biggest complaint most people have with them over at the Duncan forum, is that the bridge pup alone is too bright. I always disconnect my middle tone and wire it to the bridge pup anyway, so that I can roll off some of the highs.

All this pickup/tone stuff is so subjective. They work for me, YMMV

Thanks!!! One of the tunes I wanna learn is Sultans of Swing... I am working on "Layla" right now...
I have the basics down and now have to 'dress' it up so it sound like it. But the whole Sultans song will be fun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:53:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True enough, but you can buy a MIM strat, ditch the entire guts, and buy a Carvin pickguard loaded with decent electronics that drops right in, and you'll STILL be cheaper than the USA strat.

$10 worth of shielding and an hour of your time and it'll be quiet too.

And, fwiw, stock fender PU/electronics are still bottom-of-the-barrel components if you wanna be honest. It's not like they use premium switches or pickups...it's bread and butter crap.

You will still have a particle board guitar. with a MIM bridge and tuners. And american strat pickups are not bottom of the barel.  AlNiCo magnets and a nice universal sound.  They are not tuned to a certain sound is all.

MIM strats are fine.  I think the best deal in their price range.  For me a little more would get me a used Amerc Strat.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
You will still have a particle board guitar. with a MIM bridge and tuners. And american strat pickups are not bottom of the barel.  AlNiCo magnets and a nice universal sound.  They are not tuned to a certain sound is all.

MIM strats are fine.  I think the best deal in their price range.  For me a little more would get me a used Amerc Strat.

Particle Board? Ummmm No.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Very nice Frige

What she said.

I've got a blonde on blonde American Standard somewhere, I should dig it out and see if it still plays.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Very nice.

I was playing gigs with a 1967, pre-CBS Fender Precision bass - before I found out what they are worth.  <gag><choke>!!  I also have a BC Rich Warlock NJ Series that I bought in the 80's, when they were 'in' for the type of music we played.  It just doesn't fit in now, and I don't want to spend all night onstage looking like I should be a member of Poison.

I went looking for a replacement bass... ended up getting a Peavey 5-string BXP Millennium, with active pickups, off of Ebay for $139 - I have seen new instruments on the rack in music stores with more blems than this thing!  It is mint.  Quilted top, the works.  I tune it at home before I leave for the gig (check it before the first set) and don't have to touch it all night.  Made in Indonesia.

I looked all over the specs and obsessed over whether it would be a good buy before reality hit me in the face and I realized that for the most part, the cheapest modern components would be better than the old components used in the old vintage guitars (unless you're looking for THAT sound).  My new Peavey plays like it should have cost 10x that much.

My guitar player used to have several Les Pauls, costing into the thousands of $$'s.  He sold them off so that someone could enjoy them more than he was; he didn't play them all that much and he wasn't a collector.  He bought a made-in-China clone (also from ebay), and paid between $100-$200 for it, and he says you'd be hard-pressed to tell it from the real thing, in the way it sounds, feels, and plays.  It is now his main gigging axe.

Don't discount the foreign-made cheapies.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Very nice.

I was playing gigs with a 1967, pre-CBS Fender Precision bass -

1967 is a very nice very valuable bass

It is not pre-cbs TECHNICALLY.  Although it did take a while for CBS to mess stuff up they took over completely by 1965.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very nice.

It is not pre-cbs TECHNICALLY.  Although it did take a while for CBS to mess stuff up they took over completely by 1965.

I will have to check with my dad then... he said he bought it in the last year before they shipped production over to Japan.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Fender?  Come on now!  Real men play Les Pauls!  Just messin' with you.  You got a nice rig there, put it to good use.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very nice.

I will have to check with my dad then... he said he bought it in the last year before they shipped production over to Japan.

Production to Japan?  I think that came later than 67.  I believe the buyout was mid 64.  But like I said I have not researched it but most fender stuff did not begin to be affected by CBS till late 60's to early 70's. It takes a while to mess EVERYTHING up. So your bass is probably identical to a 64-65.  And like you said; quite valuble.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top