Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2004 11:26:10 AM EDT

Holy crap that's a lot of bees!

I was doing a foot patrol around the aircraft hangar I work at, and found this swarming mass on the fence separating our helipad from the airstrip.

When I did my next patrol later in the morning, all but a dozen or so were gone, and I believe they may have just been out pollinating, and would return by sundown.  Not sure about that, but I will know tomorrow morning when I go in.

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The queen might have been on the move. They'll follow her like that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn!  Looks like an invasion.  You should have called in an airstrike.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#3]
So you didn't go poke it with a stick?

"Holy crap" is right.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw bees do the same thing on a cooling water pipe at my old work. Freaked me out to say the least!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Honeybees or Yellow Jackets?

If the latter, KILL EM ALL!

I hate those things.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#7]
One large can of WD-40 and a lighter will take care of that. WWWHHHHHOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm surprise TheBeeKeeper1 hasn't responded yet...
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#9]
It is part of the new airport security initiative put in place by the Department of Homeland Security.  Try to scale the fence, and the killer bees attack!    
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn!!!

by the way that airfield looks kind of familier
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#12]
For those African bees, aren't they suppose to hit them from two directions with flamethrowers.  Fry 'em - for the children.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Paging the BeeKeeper1

Danny
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Damn!!!

by the way that airfield looks kind of familier

It is Cecil Field in Jacksonville, FL.  I am a National Guardsmen under orders guarding an Apache hangar.
In the next building over are Coast Guard and Customs pilots & aircraft.

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Cecil?

Has the RNLAF completed their recent training deployment with their F-16's  to Cecil?

I saw lots of their flights during their test deployment to the Melbourne airport last summer.

CJ

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Follow them!   l love honney!

Tj
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Honeybees or Yellow Jackets?

If the latter, KILL EM ALL!

I hate those things.

MAN! That third grade was a BITCH Wasnt it!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Tannerite with video!

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#19]
It was such a good idea to BRAC NAS Cecil Field.
www.ghostbase.org/cecil/
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah we get beez making nest inside cable boxes ALL the time, actually its Wasps, and they get pissed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It was such a good idea to BRAC NAS Cecil Field.
www.ghostbase.org/cecil/

There is actually quite a bit going on at 'Cecil Commerce Center' now.  LOTS of construction, detours, landscaping, etc.  Contractors are moving in to abandoned hangars, as well as other gov't agencies like Customs and the National Guard.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
thats what theyd when they  "swarm"

What happens is this the brood hatches another queen and then the hive splits, somw time with a new queen, sometimes with the old one. They will lite on a post, tree, bush, what ever. The queen sets down first then the workers settle with her  till the worker bees find a suitable home (usually within a day or two), then the swarm will move to the new habitat

This is why beekeepers put a queen seperator between the hive and the supers to keep the queen from over populating the supers with larva (honey storage) and can keep control of the queen population in a hive.  Most keepers will replace their queens every couple of years to keep the orig. one at her peak strength as she will normally kill off the new queen when hatched

With the influx of african bees keepers are now in the practice of replacing the queen every year to keep the strain fresh

And for what it is worth thats not a lot of bees, a good size swarm as "swarms" go but about average

btw keeping bees is a hobby of mine, Ive had up to 20 seperate hives at one time, and put up a LOT of honey  

Nice Hobby.  I wanted to start my own sideline beekeeping, unfortunately I live in the the burbs and the town's zone officer shot me down due to liabilities. Yeah Right, Honey bees KILL. Mankind cannot live without them.No Bees, No Food. Anyway, Avenger could have called a bee keeper or just shake the bees into a box with a sting or two. They're pretty docile at this point.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
One large can of WD-40 and a lighter will take care of that. WWWHHHHHOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Just for the record, the bees don't burn nearly fast enough while doing this.  Your big "WHHOOOSSH" will be followed by "RUN AWAYYY!!! RUN AWAAAYYY!"
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just for the record, the bees don't burn nearly fast enough while doing this.  Your big "WHHOOOSSH" will be followed by "RUN AWAYYY!!! RUN AWAAAYYY!"

I perfer starting fluid.  For small groups carb cleaner no flame.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#25]
TBK1 is obviously on this side of the river working on his cabin, or else he'd be here already hitting you bee-killers with a large, rotting trout.

Bees are beneficial.  Just leave the little bitches alone (99.995% of the ones in that pic are female)
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Do you normally carry a camera with you on foot patrol? Just asking...
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Didn't I see somewhere that the .gov was trying to use bee's to sniff out things like mines and the sorts??
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Since the "killer bees" came through Texas a few years ago we've seen all sorts of local beekeeping operations close up.  We used to let people keep bees at the ranch in south Texas, but they had to close up shop.  Last year we had honeybees build a hive in the stacked stone wall in the yard, and I called around to beekeepers who refused to touch it - they don't even relocate hives anymore.  They actually said that it was best for us just to exterminate.

We did, and a couple of months later, the hornets moved in.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Just so everyone knows, killing honey bees (without them being declared a "nuisance" by a licensed beekeeper) is, I'm told, a federal offense.

Is that the case in areas quarantined for Africanized bees as well?

I looked for the law and all I can find is references that using broad-spectrum pesticides which may kill colonies of bees is against the law.  But I'm probably looking in the wrong place.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:02:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Do you normally carry a camera with you on foot patrol? Just asking...

No I don't.  I saw them on my first patrol early in the morning, and got the camera out of my car for the second patrol a little while later, after the sun had come up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top