Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2004 4:11:30 PM EDT
From  Could be BS but damn !!!:

Direct hit by Ivan could sink New Orleans

By BRETT MARTEL
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

NEW ORLEANS -- The worst-case scenario for New Orleans - a direct strike by a full-strength Hurricane Ivan - could submerge much of this historic city treetop-deep in a stew of sewage, industrial chemicals and fire ants, and the inundation could last for weeks, experts say.

If the storm were strong enough, Ivan could drive water over the tops of the levees that protect the city from the Mississippi River and vast Lake Pontchartrain. And with the city sitting in a saucer-shaped depression that dips as much as 9 feet below sea level, there would be nowhere for all that water to drain.

Good luck down there and stay safe - macro
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe this will get the Saints to play better football, I mean if they get hit they have to play somewhere else right?

CRC
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Maybe this will get the Saints to play better football, I mean if they get hit they have to play somewhere else right?

CRC

Well, the ball will float...maybe they could make it a modified water polo?

Seriously...I hope the best for anyone down there...easy to make jokes from here in PA....but if that storm hits full force, a lot of people are going to be in bad situation....I had an option to live near the shore once and this is exactly the kinda stuff that kept me from moving there.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Joking aside, I hope LA doesn't get it.

NO is below sea level.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#4]
It sounds like there could be some new ocean front property there soon.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I live about 35 miles from NO. I am planning on staying unless I think a direct hit will come.Tomorrow morning should tell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top