Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2005 2:46:47 PM EDT
espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/s/h_fea_elk_NM_Harber_05.html

... Taped by Safari Club International scorer James Torivio Jr., the 7½-year-old bull weighed an estimated 1,100 pounds and boasts an SCI score of 411 4/8 inches as a typical and 425 2/8 inches as a non-typical. ...

... "I took my binoculars and I looked at him and I could see in just an instant looking at him that it was a monster bull," Harber said. As the quartering giant closed ranks to within 38 yards, Harber drew and held for nearly a minute waiting for a shot opportunity. When that opportunity finally came, Harber was able to thread his arrow through one lung and liver. ...

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#1]
38 yds is a pretty good bow shot.  He had a pretty damn big target though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
He is crouching about 4-6 feet from the elk to make him look smaller.

The I think photography technique is called "forced perspective" in order to make the elk look bigger.

Don't get me wrong, that is a big elk, but a lot of hunters use this technique to make their trophy's look bigger.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#3]
To put it in perspective, a long arrow for a tall shooter is about 30-32 inches.  That guy doesn't look huge to me and the average arrow length is about 28 inches.

Nice bull.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The I think photography technique is called "forced perspective" in order to make the elk look bigger.

Don't get me wrong, that is a big elk, but a lot of hunters use this technique to make their trophy's look bigger.

And I hate it too! Get your ass right up there for a proper persective/scale. That is a very nice sized animal and rack. There is absolutely no need to stand back trying to make it look bigger.

I'd say he's 6' - 8' back from the animal.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice bull......my neck is starting to swell up! Damn, I miss elk hunting living here in KY. I've just GOTTA move back to ID/MT....
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I hate it too! Get your ass right up there for a proper persective/scale. That is a very nice sized animal and rack. There is absolutely no need to stand back trying to make it look bigger.

I'd say he's 6' - 8' back from the animal.

Look how long his bow is compared to his body size...what a jackass....
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#7]
i hate it when people shoot the little ones.  he should have let it grow up and get bigger.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Elk is a mighty fine tasting animal
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't know you could take a bull Elk with a bow
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I didn't know you could take a bull Elk with a bow

I believe a few people have taken the big 7 in Africa with a bow.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#11]
i love that.....or when the head is right on the camera and the guy is crouched 12 feet behind its ass so it looks huge....nice bull but the biggest thing in that picture is that clowns ego.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top