Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 1:31:34 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 1:46:57 AM EST
Just a 200 mile round trip to a music festival. The wind resistance against my backpack pulled the backpack's straps so tight it cut off my bcirculation into my arms. Couldn't more than 55 mph. The trip back was a downpour. All my clothes were soaked down to the skin. Pretty miserable trip overall. But it was a great festival.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 1:54:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2003 1:55:23 AM EST by Aimless]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:03:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By Aimless: Waterpoof riding suit [url]http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store[/url] The Harley guys won't wear 'em
View Quote
Well, if you own a Harley, you dont do it for pragmatic or rational reasons. You buy Harleys for an image. Makes sense that you wouldn't want to wear something that keeps you warm dry and comfortable when it doesn't help with that image.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:12:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2003 4:13:24 AM EST by 80FL]
Well Raven:
Well, if you own a Harley, you don't do it for pragmatic or rational reasons. You buy Harleys for an image. Makes sense that you wouldn't want to wear something that keeps you warm dry and comfortable when it doesn't help with that image.
View Quote
I guess my first post for the new year will contain the words: BLOW ME! [:D] Seriously, you are correct in the majority of cases; however, having spent way too many years on a Harley, I must take exception. When I ride, I have no interest in going out for any less than 300-500 miles. Often it's on a 10-14 day drip encompassing 5000 to 6000 miles. It's really only of recent years that the yuppies have invaded the Harley scene and been more interested in posing to the local toys for tots run instead of putting the miles on. To answer the original question, the most miles in one consecutive trip was about 8000 miles, due to time constraints. Aimless, what is the name of the book that you received for Christmas? Living in NH, I actually do alot of riding in the Adirondaks. I spend mucho time in Northern California, so the North West and Northern Rockies also get their pavement worn down.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:24:16 AM EST
My longest was probably somewhere between 3 and 4000 miles on a loop through CO, NM, AZ and UT. From NY, a great trip is to go through Nova Scotia. Take the overnight ferry from Portland Maine and head up to the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton. Awesome riding, but you'll need at least a week to do it. Tourmaster stuff is a lot less than Aerostich and IMHO works just as well...
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:27:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2003 4:31:05 AM EST by Aimless]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:33:14 AM EST
1000 miles in the winter of 1971. I was demented. I was riding a Honday 750K with a fairing. I had my sleeping bag, a small suitcase and was wearing one of the first-ever full helmets, a Bell "Star". I left Norfolk, VA on March 30 in between snowstorms and headed west. I only got as far as Newport News before I froze up so bad I couldn't feel my feet or hands. I gave up and got a room for the night. Next day was clear and I headed out again. Arrived in Memphis the next evening. I-40 is one long...straight road on a bike with nothing but your thoughts. It was before the Interstates were completed in western VA and eastern TN and I had to follow Hwy 60 west to Bristol then take 11W through the hills of Tennessee until I hit Knoxville. Fancied myself as some sort of Easy Rider or something. I remember getting stuck behind a couple of trucks pulling someone's double-wide through those hills. That was a long leg. By the second day, I know why motor officers used the big, wide sprung seats and large flat foot rests that you found mostly on Harleys then. I've often thought of getting another scooter...but my missus says that at my age, I'll just kill myself and to take out LOTS more insurance if I do decide to start riding again. [stick] I guess she's right. My reflexes suck...I can't see to well any more...and my judgement is still crappy. I do remember one especially painful time in the ER as they scrubbed the gravel out of my hide. [BD]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:38:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:50:05 AM EST
Emoto: The Nova Scotia trip is great! My last scoot to NS was via the "Wild Cat". The Wildcat leaves out of Bar Harbor, ME, and is a very fast ride to Yarmouth NS. You do have to have an iron gut on the 'cat. We travelled in fairly rough seas and the restrooms were, shall we say, pungent with others breakfast [:X*].
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:57:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:59:50 AM EST
Originally Posted By Aimless: Age and experience are worth far more on a motorcycle than the reflexes and lack of judgment that are often the gift of youth.
View Quote
That's what I tried to tell the wife. She just turned on the sarcasm with..."Don't you remember the LAST time you went down...and how much fun THAT was?" True story: When I laid my last scooter down early one morning on the way to work in 1984 (wet street...too fast around a curve), I was only about three miles from home. I limped back home with only minor damage to the bike and some road rash on me. I knocked on the door and my ten year old son opened it and FREAKED [shock] when he saw me. I tried to calm him down but his howls brought Miz LWilde to the door just as I stepped into the house. The second she saw me, her first reaction when she realized I wasn't critical was to yell at me to, "Get the hell back outside and [B]QUIT BLEEDING ON MY FLOOR!"[/B] [stick] Womenz...[whacko]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:18:54 AM EST
Once rode a TT-500 1-cylinder 2-cycle dirt bike from Boulder to Aspen Colorado. Upon arrival, I could no longer feel my butt. Talk about severe vibration.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:30:41 AM EST
Well, not me, but my late father, upon retirement, bought a Kawasaki Concours (now mine), and proceeded to go from PA to CA and back......IN 13 DAYS!! Quite a trip....I hope to repeat it myself one day....but I'll take a little longer...
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:17:01 AM EST
Uh we used to talk about distance in days not miles. Like it's a week's ride from New Orleans to San Fran. That's if your motor didn't break and you had the geetus to make the run without having to stop somewhere and do some warehouse for cash. When you live on the road it's all a non-stop journey. 100%er TEXAS
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:22:37 AM EST
10 years of followin the sun.{yeah when I was a kid, Then came Bronson was my idol.}
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:24:19 AM EST
I did a 900 mile trip from Northern Utah down to Moab and the Grand Canyon and back. Very enjoyable. The best part was cruising through Monument Valley at 90 MPH on my BMW R100RT. What an awesome and scenic ride. Now that I am in upstate NY, I am looking forward to a trip through the adirondacks or even trying the Nova Scotia trip mentioned in previous posts.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:40:50 AM EST
Originally Posted By Gollum: 10 years of followin the sun.{yeah when I was a kid, Then came Bronson was my idol.}
View Quote
Then Came Bronson... Then Came Bronson... yeah that made an impression on me at a young age too, and after all these years I've ever quite got it out of my system either. Of course it was based on Kerouac's "On The Road", but I was too young to understand till I was too far down the road to make a difference. Wouldn't have changed a thing anyway. Never want to see a rerun... want to always remember it like I saw it the first time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:57:55 AM EST
About 4 miles to the store.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:13:54 AM EST
1985, 2700 miles on a GpZ550 in 14 days, all in the state of California. Carried a Colt Officers Model the entire trip.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:19:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By 80FL: Emoto: The Nova Scotia trip is great!
View Quote
It is, isn't it? I've gone about 5 times on a bike over the years. Mostly camp out. But I always like to eat dinner at "The Harbor" in Cheticamp. Not fancy, but damn good, and the crabs are caught at the foot of that very cliff.
My last scoot to NS was via the "Wild Cat". The Wildcat leaves out of Bar Harbor, ME, and is a very fast ride to Yarmouth NS. You do have to have an iron gut on the 'cat. We travelled in fairly rough seas and the restrooms were, shall we say, pungent with others breakfast [:X*].
View Quote
I haven't been on the cat, but to my way of thinking, it burns much of a day that could be spent riding. I like to roll into Portland, grab dinner at a brew pub, then get on the ferry (it leaves at 8pm). Party on the boat for a while, go to sleep, and wake up in Yarmouth. [b]Aimless: Emoto-We vacationed in Nova Scotia this past summer. There were some mountainous roads along cliffs on the coast where I was wishing for a Kawasaki. It was almost a fresh boxer shorts experience in a rental Crown Vic![/b] They're great on a bike! So is the dirt road out to Meat cove.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:51:04 PM EST
Me -about 1000mi on a Z1b Kawasaki ,I know,chump mileage. I once met up with a DI who comuted 4 or 5 round trips a month between the family farm in southern Vt and some base in North Carolina. Sounded crazy but I saw his BMW (600cc?) with 275,000 mi. He claimed 30 or 40 sealed beams, shocks every 40 or 50 thou,but claimed he never had the engine apart!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:55:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2003 2:57:53 PM EST by ar10er]
From Amarillo, Tx. to Las Wages, Nv. on a Yamaha 400. Got alot of thumbs up from guys on much bigger bikes. It was a round trip, and boy did my ass hurt when it was over.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 3:28:17 PM EST
well, my '47 harley knucklehead hardtail didn't have a speedo...but 6 days on the road. in '96, i tried riding my superglide back from daytona beach to n.e. ohio...non-stop. i was doing great untill 5-10 miles north of charlotte, n.c.. the sumbitch blew-up big time...hole in the top of the rear piston. btw, the guys at the charlotte h.d. dealership (metrolina) were the best!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 3:45:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2003 3:46:49 PM EST by 2_of_5]
St. Pete Florida to my sister's in Albany Georgia. . . on a Suzuki Katana 600. Three Hundred Seventy Five Miles Each Friggin Way. Through clouds of bugs near Tallahassee... Up one day, back the next. The last 30 miles down US 19 in Clearwater/St. Pete - I swear pieces of my ass were falling off. I was praying for red lights so I could stand up momentarily. [>(][>(][>(][>(]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:21:46 PM EST
I just got started with my bike... It's an 82 Suzuki GS450, I got it for $120 (including hauling it home, as it didn't run at the time of purchase), and it's been kind of a project since... Right now, it runs, but doesn't exactly run well (carb or air filter issues probably... I'll find out soon enough)... Longest trip so far was Milwaukee to Kenosha, to pick up a hard drive...
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:36:27 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:47:43 PM EST
Memphis to Houston to Memphis....ON A CROTCH ROCKET!!!!!!!!! I must have been crazy. Everything that could go wrong did... 1. Outside Little Rock my brand new bike has a bolt vibrate out. This bolt held the shifter in place so I had to rig an allen key in order to shift into a dealer and pay 20 bucks for a Kawa bolt. 2. About an hour south of Texarkana a tropical storm hits and of course no raingear. Rains all the way…The rearend breaks loose several times but I got no where to go but on... 3. Arrived in Houston in one piece everything was numb though. 4. Went to Galveston-lost about a grand in cash. 5. Going back home to Memphis had a cold front come in and the weather dipped in the 30's I only got a letterman jacket. Pulled over to buy some of those brown work gloves for like 10 bucks at some gas station. 6. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere I hit a piece of a 18-wheeler tire..Splits my shoe in half. I couldn’t feel my foot for the rest of the trip. 7. Trip thru Arkansas is easy (115mph the whole way) slowing down on the big bridge that takes you into Memphis police officer pulls me over (doing 110MPH..Hey I said I was slowing down!!!)Twice the speed limit gets you a trip to jail in TN. but the cop was cool and gave me like 20 over the speed limit. Anyway make it home to bed and sleep for like two days...Man I love bikes!!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:15:08 PM EST
Made several trips from Camp Lejune, NC to hometown of Beaumont Texas. I don't know how many miles I've put on in a round trip, maybe 2400 miles or so on each time. I used to ride a 1974 Yamaha TX750A which was a dream bike to run and race for the seven years I rode it. Sorry to say I sold it and wish I still had that one.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:18:59 PM EST
I drove my friends 650 V-Star around a parking lot once... That was my first time on a bike... and I didn't even drop it[8D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:36:18 PM EST
What kind of a Kawasaki crotch rocket? Ninja 250? ZX12RR?
Originally Posted By Tonys68l36: Memphis to Houston to Memphis....ON A CROTCH ROCKET!!!!!!!!!
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:52:21 PM EST
I have a BMW R1150RT and it's made for touring. My wife and I rode to Northern California along the Pacific Coast Highway. We stopped at all the beautiful towns along the way and stayed at the Madonna Inn, which is the funkyist hotel in the world. The urinal in the men's room is world famous! Anyhow, it was the best vacation we've ever taken and look forward to our next outing. Riding solo I have ridden, in a single day, from Phoenix to Safford, then up Highway 666 http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/us666.htm (now I think it's labeled 123) to Alpine, then to Show Low, Payson and back to Phoenix...about 700 miles from 1,000 to 9,500 and back to 1,000 altitude. May not sound like much in one day, but the section of old 666 is considered one of the most twisty roads ever built in the U.S. and one of the best motorcycle rides. But...the word is slow. A few years ago my buddy and I were riding 666 and he lost the front wheel on a cattle guard (placed in the middle of a corner) and hit the mountain on the inside of the corner. Broke his leg and we had to duct tape him on the bike and have him ride it to Alpine, AZ where we encountered a phone and could get him to a hospital in Springerville.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:03:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2003 8:05:29 PM EST by thistle]
Did a little over 700 miles in a day this summer. Does'nt sound like much but I got caught in the edge of hurricane Isadore(?) and spent 8 1/2 hours of the trip in the rain. Still had a great trip though. Me and a few friends are thinking about doing one of the Ironbutt rides this summer, I'm thinking it'll be a blast.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:00:24 PM EST
Rode from Cleveland to lake Geneva WI (about 500 miles) in two days. I cheated though, I spent the night in Elkhart Indiana. Before you laugh, I did it on a Sportster 1200. This next summer I will trailer my FXST along with my pals FXR for the 100TH anniversary celebration in Milwaukee. That Chicago bypass is a killer on a bike!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:02:04 PM EST
I rode bikes from 1971 until late 1996 when athritis got rid of the "fun factor". When my son moved to Lumberton,NC (from Baltimore)the winter of 1990 I made it a point to visit as much as possible. Several times I rode my bike ('86 HD Wide Glide)down to visit. The most memorable ride besides BIKE WEEK '95 to Myrtle Beach,SC was when my son who was 10 yrs old at the time rode from N.C. to Baltimore with me the summer of '91. We hit two heavy thunderstorms on the way to Maryland (about 400 mile ride total). Although we both got a good soaking he NEVER whined or complained!I was really surprised too. After a busy two week visit it was time for me to take him back home to N.C. I asked him if he felt ready to "ride" home on the bike,and you know what he said? Right out of the blue he says NO!! It took a couple minutes to get over my surprise before he admitted HIS BUTT WAS SORE, after which we both had a good laugh! Sure was a good time though!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:37:25 PM EST
I went about 500 miles on a crotch rocket, and let me tell you I was sore for days. I will never do that again. Nope, trailer for the long trips, and ride when I get there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:42:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2003 11:43:25 PM EST by prk]
California to Central Midwest on a small Honda that was underpowered for such a trip even after I'd installed a racing cam & heavier valve springs. No real traveling accessories, so I lost some of my clothes out of a cardboard box that came apart. MapBlast says 2340 miles, but I thought it was less than that. E.T. was 3 & 3/4 days. After restless sleep in the back of a gas station operator's truck at my first stop, Wendover, I sprung for motel rooms the 2nd & 3rd times. Nothing like a warm shower. Other than baaad headwinds coming from the East in Nebraska (couldn't get above 60), I was very lucky with the weather. About 3/4 of the way, vibration took its toll on the bike, and I started having to wire a few things together. Also, there was that little incident about fatigue, distraction, and two signposts almost spaced enough to squeeze between on a curbed traffic island. Can't believe I stayed up. Any way, the point is, don't wear your ass out to the zombie point. Inertia can be a bitch. If I were making this trip again, I'd invest in a bigger bike with proper accessories, mo betta gear, and limit myself to around 500 miles a day.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:40:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By venom_inc: I went about 500 miles on a crotch rocket, and let me tell you I was sore for days. I will never do that again. Nope, trailer for the long trips, and ride when I get there.
View Quote
Heh. I used to tour on a GSXR1100. Got over 54,000 miles on that bike now. GenMar handlebar risers and a Zero Gravity tall windshield helped quite a bit. Hard saddlebags rounded out the package. Eventually, one of my brain cells functioned and I picked up a used BMW R1100RS, which is much more comfortable. Did you know you can take all back roads from Massachussetts to West Virginia? [:D]
Top Top