Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2003 7:24:49 PM EDT
Anyone ever have to prepare youirself or a loved one for long term health care? Stuff like an older relative, spouse, brother, sister, parent having to finally hang up the car keys, and possibly look into moving into an Assisted Care Living Facility or getting in home help?  Preparing for the end stages type stuff if they have cancer, Alzhiemer's, or just stuff related to the infirmaties of age over 75-80.

What would you do? Who would you talk to? What if you lived over 500 miles away? Would you move to be closer? How would you feel?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been in this situation twice.  My husband died of cancer; the last time he was in the hospital I was given the choice of putting him in a nursing home or taking care of him at home.  His wish was to die at home so that is what he got.  This was extremely difficult on so many levels.

My father was put into a nursing home after my mother could no longer care for him at home, even with assistance.  This was what was best for him.  However, he died two days after he was put there.

So I guess what you do depends on it depends on the situation.  I can tell you from experience that none of the decisions are easy to make.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top