Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 10:01:50 PM EDT
I'll have a few days to spend in one or the other.

I've never been to either.

Which city would you pick? And why?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'll have a few days to spend in one or the other.

I've never been to either.

Which city would you pick? And why?
View Quote

London. Because the History. If you like NY liberals on roids you can do the Netherlands....but it's just not as exciting for me. London by a long shot. Especially if you've never been.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Never been a fan of London.  Love AMS.  Awesome food, stunning women and everyone (except for the muzzies) speaks english.

Great city.

TC
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never been a fan of London.  Love AMS.  Awesome food, stunning women and everyone (except for the muzzies) speaks english.

Great city.

TC
View Quote

In Amsterdam you will notice a LOT of middle eastern immigrants. There is a good bit in London as well but not as saturated. And most everyone in England speaks English ;)
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
London was boring.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
London was boring.
View Quote

If you don't care of seeing the Historical sights and would rather be in a brothel drinking then by all means Amsterdam is the place for you. I very much felt it was the other way around. Lots of young guys in red light district and lots of drinking. I can see the appeal as a young single guy but other than that it's culture is dead.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#6]
AMS.

London is a really boring/shitty.

ETA: London is much more expensive as well. (most overpriced city on earth IMO)

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In Amsterdam you will notice a LOT of middle eastern immigrants. There is a good bit in London as well but not as saturated. And most everyone in England speaks English ;)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great city.

TC

Well, I'm currently surrounded by middle eastern immigrants, and batshit crazy progressives, so it sounds just like home.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#8]
London

I've been to Amsterdam and was kind of bored after 3 days.  London has so much more history.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#9]
You can see a TON more and cover more  ground (relatively speaking) in Amsterdam in a few days than in London.  I was in England for a year and still missed half of what I wanted to see.  Go to Amsterdam, much more relaxed (no busy hustle/ bustle like London), great food, take a canal ride and then a rickshaw over to the Heineken Brewery, checkout the Frank House, definitely take a walk through the red light district for a jaw dropper, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you go to Lisbon by chance?

Most underrated city in europe
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I would choose Amsterdam, and not for the 'extras'. My other half would choose London, due to the amount of history. I felt as if Amsterdam wasn't as rushed. Somewhat hard to explain why I prefer Amsterdam over London. Some cities you just connect with.

A week, I would do London.

Two to Three days, Amsterdam.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Amsterdam. Easily can see major sights in two days and everyone speaks english. Its alot smaller than london so its easy to quickly traverse with a daily tram ticket.  See the Anne Frank house, Heinekin brewery tour, and vanGough museum. Then the next day you can get high and bang redlight district hookers or check out the Ww2 museum and a canal boat tour.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]
London because of the history.  Amsterdam seemed more walkable, though.  Both cities are pretty good with respect to English.

Of note: in Amsterdam, the chicks that meet you at the train station and ask if you want to stay on their houseboat, well, they're legit.  I've still got both my kidneys.  I think.  It's cheap lodging, and you're right there where everything is.  You and your kidneys.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Amsterdam.   Best of everything there.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

And they speak English (much better English than the folks in London)
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you don't care of seeing the Historical sights and would rather be in a brothel drinking then by all means Amsterdam is the place for you. I very much felt it was the other way around. Lots of young guys in red light district and lots of drinking. I can see the appeal as a young single guy but other than that it's culture is dead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
London was boring.

I was a young single guy with no desire to visit a brothel. I went to London to see Clapton perform at the Royal Albert Hall. That show, at that historic venue was awesome. The music stores were great too. The rest, including the night life, I found to be very boring, I was disappointed. Caught a flight to Ireland, which is always a great time!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#17]
If you have other choices, I highly, highly suggest Berlin. And if you can pull it off, stay at the Generator Hostel in East Berlin. Go to Pizza Dach while you're there. Your costs will be twenty cents on the dollar and you'll have far more fun there than either London or AMS.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I have been to both places and either one is a toss up.  They are what you make of them.  Do you have to stay in the city?  Get out of London, prices are cheaper and you can have more fun.
Get out of Amsterdam, grab a short train ride to Rotterdam.  Do a windmill tour, take a short ride to the North Sea, spend a night or two in a small seaside village in The Netherlands, its awesome.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.  Don't miss Club Vandersexxx.  Be sure to find a coupon for the free t-shirt.  

And remember, the safe word is Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was a young single guy with no desire to visit a brothel. I went to London to see Clapton perform at the Royal Albert Hall. That show, at that historic venue was awesome. The music stores were great too. The rest, including the night life, I found to be very boring, I was disappointed. Caught a flight to Ireland, which is always a great time!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
London was boring.

Nice.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Amsterdam, -not even a close competition.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would choose Amsterdam, and not for the 'extras'. My other half would choose London, due to the amount of history. I felt as if Amsterdam wasn't as rushed. Somewhat hard to explain why I prefer Amsterdam over London. Some cities you just connect with.

A week, I would do London.

Two to Three days, Amsterdam.
View Quote

Been to both i agree

Lots of good history sights in London but Amsterdam has its sights. I took a rental car to the country side it was very cool. Shit you can take a 2hr train from Central Station to Germany.

I liked AMS so much I went 2x. Its more laid back and cozy. Plenty of great art to see also. All the renaissance masters homes are museums.
Damrak at night when the boats return is a light show too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#23]
One is a virtual prison with a bunch of asshats and warm beer.  The other has women and drugs that can be purchased for recreation.

Seems an easy choice
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:34:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I vote for London.

1. RAF Museum at Hendon
2. Take the train to Dorset and visit the Bovington Tank Museum. It's a full day. The museum is about an hour hike from the train depot or you can catch a taxi. There is supposed to be bus service too.
3. The Imperial War Museum is hosting a World War I collection.
4. The British Museum is spectacular. I spent two full days there and couldn't take it all in.
5. Spend some time roaming around SOHO. No telling what you'll see there. Lots of great places to eat and shop. Tons of shows and musicals if that's your thing.
6. The Royal Artillery Museum is another history gem.
7. Go to the Borough Farmer's market for lunch. Whoever says British food sucks has never been to Borough. It's just south of the London Bridge.
8. Get an Oyster card at the airport and put £20 and take the trains/Underground to get around. There are ATM style machines at the airport. Just get a general card, don't worry about a specific fare unless you are taking a long haul train trip. Top it up as you go.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Given the limited time, I'd say London. The language is key in a short stay.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:28:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been to both cities, although I was much younger when I went to Amsterdam.  Once to Holland was enough for me despite having a good time.  I will never get tired of London, there is so much to see and do.  It depends what you want out of your trip.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:33:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Agreed.  Don't miss Club Vandersexxx.  Be sure to find a coupon for the free t-shirt.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't where I left my car.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:47:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:36:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great city.

TC

I would have said Amsterdam any day of the week a decade or more ago, but now...  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:36:47 AM EDT
[#30]
London is superior to Amsterdam in almost every conceivable way.

But either way you'll likely have a good time.

Having said that, if I were going to Europe tomorrow I'd rather go to Munich than either, because Bavaria is awesome.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top