Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2002 7:56:03 PM EDT
[b]MPs demand tough action on guns[/b]

[url=http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=510348&in_review_text_id=473638]This London[/url]
March 1, 2002
by Pierre Williams

A delegation of MPs from London's most violent boroughs is to demand immediate and effective government action to stem the capital's spiralling gun crime.

Following a late-night Commons meeting last night called by Hackney MP Diane Abbott, she and the eight other MPs from Hackney, Brent and Lambeth plan to go to the Home Office to tackle what she described as a "lawless, valueless gun culture".

The MPs want increased sentences for anyone caught with a gun - possibly with a set minimum period. They want a ban on imitation firearms and more police on the streets.

Ms Abbott told the Commons: "I know what fear this whole issue of gun crime is genuinely breathing into the hearts of Londoners. They're frightened of waking up to find a corpse outside their house, frightened of being caught up in a gunfight. What kind of community are we? What kind of people are we becoming when young men hold their lives so cheap and risk death?"

Simon Hughes, Lib-Dem MP for North Southwark and Bermondsey, who also attended the meeting, said: "We will be meeting with Home Office ministers to see what further action can be taken as soon as possible. The Met set up Operation Trident but it has not dealt with all the issues. We need police, immigration, politicians and Customs and Excise to unite in stopping this situation where young people are using firearms as a fashion accessory."

He said he was particularly keen on the idea of a minimum sentences. But he stressed the need to reduce the flood of weapons from overseas.

Home Office Minister Bob Ainsworth said the Government was "determined to counter" firearms in the capital.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Utterly incredible.  The tighter they sqeeze legal firearms ownership, the higher the crime rate soars.  Yet they can't figure out that the solution is to let go and allow free citizens to keep and use firearms for their protection, and watch the crime rate hit the floor.

Some people, ones like these, are terminally stupid.  If they all ended up on the backs of milk cartons, it would be a wonderful day for British people.

I hope that there are pro-gun people in Britain who are as vocal in their opposition to gun control as these assholes are in their support for gun control, or better yet, are more vocal.

Eventually, I see that the gun restrictions in Britain will have to be loosened up, as a test. Crime will fall, and the truth will FINALLY have its day in the sun.  

Hope and pray so, brothers.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:19:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:56:40 AM EDT
[#3]
There’s the difference between England and the USA- the people are subjects over there, where as we are citizens. Major differences in what their government can do vs. with what ours can do (in theory).
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:10:46 AM EDT
[#4]
If they want to curb crime in London, give everybody a gun!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:47:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Must be folks driving across state lines, bringing guns from states with "easy laws".
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:47:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

immediate and effective government action to  
View Quote

Well, that's just an oxymoron.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:49:55 AM EDT
[#7]
"Well, we took the front tires off this car, but it's still going slowly. Let's take the back tires off and see if that speeds it up."
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:59:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[b]MPs demand tough action on guns[/b]

[url=http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=510348&in_review_text_id=473638]This London[/url]
March 1, 2002
by Pierre Williams

A delegation of MPs from London's most violent boroughs is to demand immediate and effective government action to stem the capital's spiralling gun crime.

Following a late-night Commons meeting last night called by Hackney MP Diane Abbott, she and the eight other MPs from Hackney, Brent and Lambeth plan to go to the Home Office to tackle what she described as a "lawless, valueless gun culture".

The MPs want increased sentences for anyone caught with a gun - possibly with a set minimum period. They want a ban on imitation firearms and more police on the streets.

Ms Abbott told the Commons: "I know what fear this whole issue of gun crime is genuinely breathing into the hearts of Londoners. They're frightened of waking up to find a corpse outside their house, frightened of being caught up in a gunfight. What kind of community are we? What kind of people are we becoming when young men hold their lives so cheap and risk death?"

Simon Hughes, Lib-Dem MP for North Southwark and Bermondsey, who also attended the meeting, said: "We will be meeting with Home Office ministers to see what further action can be taken as soon as possible. The Met set up Operation Trident but it has not dealt with all the issues. We need police, immigration, politicians and Customs and Excise to unite in stopping this situation where young people are using firearms as a fashion accessory."

He said he was particularly keen on the idea of a minimum sentences. But he stressed the need to reduce the flood of weapons from overseas.

Home Office Minister Bob Ainsworth said the Government was "determined to counter" firearms in the capital.
View Quote

Those MP in UK are a bunch of morons!

They reduced shotguns in 1920: more crime
They banned handguns 1990: more crime
They forbidden semiauto 1993 (if I remember): more crime...

Two options: Or those MPs are hired by the mafia to keep away guns from law-abiding citiziens, or just their brain is really working upside down.

Can anyone tell me if it is true that firearms were issued also to "bobbies" in London?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:02:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:04:26 AM EDT
[#10]
From the same site:

[url]http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/lifestyle/londonlife/top_review.html?in_review_id=509803&in_review_text_id=473066[/url]

Summing up, there are more guns in London, all illegal, and more gun crimes than before.

Politicians, media and citiziens in UK just don't want to see the evidence...
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:15:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 5:42:11 AM EDT
[#12]
According to a recent report I heard, you are six times more likely to be a victim of violent crime in London than New York City.

How much more can you restrict guns there anyway?
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They just don't get it.
View Quote

Oh, they DO get it. They understand perfectly well what is happening -- as do Feinswine, Chuckie and the rest over here.

Problem is, they cannot, will not admit they're wrong. They're counting on the sheep to be stupid enough to believe them... it's all part of the plan.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#14]
But he stressed the need to reduce the flood of weapons from overseas.
View Quote

1 guess as to WHERE they mean the "flood of weapons"  is coming from.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#15]
BBC New March 5th 2006

With an ever rising tied of violence in the streets of Britan, now with the worst crime of the western world, the Parlament has passed a sweeping 'violence culture' ban. Now anyone in possesion of any books, magazines, or movies that depict fire arms, paintball guns, crossbows, air guns, or toy guns will be guilty of a felony with a minimum sentence of 10 years. Sgt. Shortfellow, a police officer in London aplauded the new law saying, "We really don't want a gun culture like they have in America, I mean really, did you know that anyone there over the age of 21 can buy a fully automatic, this law will keep us from becoming the 'wild west'!"

In related news today marks the second anversary of the US passing it's fire arms rights act, wich did away with it's before stringent laws on machine guns and assault weapons.

In other news the crew of American space ship Conestoga is now only 4 days away from the first human landing on mars, we in Britan would like to wish gods speed to the crew of valient american pioneers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me if it is true that firearms were issued also to "bobbies" in London?
View Quote

Not including SO19, there are about 2000 Authorised Firearms Officers with Glock 17s

SO19 gets HK MP5A3/A5 and HK G36K, both are fired in semi-auto only (i know that the MP5 is, but my info was printed before they got issued the G36K). Don't know about other firearms that SO19 gets to use.

SO19 is the British version of SWAT.

It's a matter of pride that most of the British police are not issued a firearm.

Hell, there are some politicians that want our police to go the same way as the brits, and we only have .38 wheel guns in Vic. NSW and some other states have G17s (just like the one that was stolen from a Federal Police briefcase with some other stuff that had some important security links to CHOGM)
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell, there are some politicians that want our police to go the same way as the brits, and we only have .38 wheel guns in Vic. NSW and some other states have G17s (just like the one that was stolen from a Federal Police briefcase with some other stuff that had some important security links to CHOGM)
View Quote

Here in California, west coast of USA, we are very close to being able to buy revovlers only ourselves. There are a sundry of laws before the Calif. legislature relating to firearm regulation such as only the register owner can fire the gun to chamber indicators, etc. Oh yeah they are going to ban 50-cal guns too; yep that is ban, and not grandfather the the ones already in possession.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They reduced shotguns in 1920: more crime
They banned handguns 1990: more crime
They forbidden semiauto 1993 (if I remember): more crime...

Thanks
View Quote

Not quite accurate Paolo.  The Firearms Act of 1920 required registration of all handguns and rifles and restricted them only to people who could prove they had "good reason" for them. Shotguns and air guns were exempted, as they were perceived to have only "sporting" purposes.

In 1937 the laws were further tightened. Following the example of and amplifying on our 1934 Gun Control Act, the British outlawed fully-automatic weapons and short-barreled shotguns.

The Criminal Justice Act of 1967 (later consolidated into the Firearms Act of 1968) required owners to register their formerly innocuous shotguns, and gave the police the power to refuse registration if they felt that possession of a shotgun by the registrant would "endanger public safety".

The law shoved through Parliament and enacted in 1988 banned all semi-automatic rifles and all pump-action rifles as well.

The Firearms Act of 1997 banned all handguns over .22 caliber. All handguns were subsequently prohibited after February 1998.

As to the armed Bobbies question, in one particular area of London the Bobbies on patrol were armed.  The area is North Nottingham and it occurred in November of 2000.  As far as I know, they still are.

In a related subject, Scotland Yards "Flying Squads" of armed-response police were recently up-gunned from their H&K MP5 9mm submachine guns to H&K G36 5.56mm assault rifles.  Seems the gangsters have taken to wearing body armor, and the 9mm just ain't cuttin' it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

My uncle had a girlfriend who was from England and her daughter was a bobby over there. She was surprised to see what I had on my duty belt when I worked at the hospital, ASP/OC and handcuffs she told me that all they could carry was a wooden baton no vest no cuffs and firearms where way out of the question for them to carry or have.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks like the idiots are getting what they deserved.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Down here in Barbados, I meet quite a few Brits who say that crime hasn't increased, it's all media lies, etc, blah, blah.  These people really are brainwashed sheep.  Some of them say that seeing a gun scares them.  What a bunch of little girls, including the men.  I have shown them several stories online from different sources and they still say the US is more violent, the facts be damned.  It's all about stereotyping and us Americans are just a bunch of damn gun nuts eager to kill someone.  I showed this British guy last night a picture of my collection of Garands, AR's, and pistols and I thought he was going to cry.  "oohhh, those scare me.  I'm gonna cry.  You must be crazy.  Waahhhh, waahhhh".  Pussies!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh, [b]they do get it, folks[/b].  The British gun control advocates, and the politicians all understand that what they are advocating will not affect crime at all.

In this month's American Rifleman, this is illustrated perfectly.  The leader woman (of course, its no different over there) of the Gun Control Network is quoted:  "We know that the gun ban would not affect crime; because this is a totally seperate issue.  Out goal was to make sure that it is totally illegal for a citizen to be trained how to use a handgun."

They know what they are doing; they aren't stupid.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#23]
So what exactly CAN you own in England nowadays?
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

This is what kills me.  Crime has climbed ever since they banned guns, so now their solution is to ban imitation guns?  [b]WHAT?![/b]  What is that going to do?  This is so stupid its comical.

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pointed sticks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Would be enlightening if their history classes described how they were crying for guns for citizens during WW II because theirs had been confiscated.  Ads were run here and many guns shipped to England for citizen defense against German invasion.

There was also a lot of variation on the laws for the Lords and Ladies vs. the Commoners.

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Cor blimey, mate!  A bunch of bleedin' wankers!

It's not at all surprising, those idiot MPs think just like most of our own congresscritters.  

1.  Pass law.  No results, or opposite results.

2.  Pass more laws.  Same.

3.  Pass even more laws.

4.  Etc. etc.

Remember, to these idiots the solution is *always* more laws, more restrictions, less freedom.  Hammer doesn't work?  Use a bigger hammer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Ever tried to hold sand in your hand? The tighter you squeeze, the more it slips through your fingers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#29]
The Brits have truly become a nation of cowards.  Check out this recent article written by a 14-yr old about robbery:
http://[url]www.guardian.co.uk/mobile/article/0,2763,658712,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bolt-action rifles (no pump or semi-autos).
Single or double-barreled shotguns (no pump or semi-autos).

All guns have to be kept unloaded and locked up in a safe, and the police can inspect their storage at any time.  In other words, no legal use for self-defense.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#31]
The Brits have truly become a nation of cowards. Check out this recent article written by a 14-yr old about robbery:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/mobile/article/0,2763,658712,00.html
View Quote

Cripes.  "Always make loud smacking sounds when you kiss your robber's ass, it makes a more pleasurable experience for him.  Invite him to sodomize you while he jacks your phone and if he lets you keep any of your money, buy him tea afterwards."

Hell, it's your DUTY to resist scums.  I just don't get these "never resist" people.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Bolt-action rifles (no pump or semi-autos).
Single or double-barreled shotguns (no pump or semi-autos).

All guns have to be kept unloaded and locked up in a safe, and the police can inspect their storage at any time.  In other words, no legal use for self-defense.
View Quote

You mean the Brits are allowed to have "sniper" rifles??? Banish the thought. They'll eventually get around to considering shotguns as destructive devices (unless you're rich).

Sounds like the 14 year old is well versed in submissive techniques. Let's see... His choices are:

1. Get off the streets by going straight home
2. Fighting back if/when confronted
3. Hanging around the streets as a volunteer victim while advocating complete submission

So Britain, as a nation, has embraced the 3rd option? I wonder if they have and gun boards we can visit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I never realized the once mighty British Empire had degenerated into a bunch of whipped pussies who are incapable of even THINKING of fighting back when attacked.

Somehow, I had never REALLY thought that the movie 'A Clockwork Orange' would end up being a fairly accurate documentary!

The parallels between what's in the movie and what's apparently really happening in Britain are quite striking.    

If you don't know what I'm talking about, get out and see that movie.  I'm sure Blockbuster has it.

The only thing missing is gangs that call themselves 'droogs' instead of 'rudes' or whatever.

Oh...and there's no real Korova Milk Bar in Britain as far as I know, but they DO subsidize heroin use, which is not too far off the mark, I suppose.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The Brits have truly become a nation of cowards.  Check out this recent article written by a 14-yr old about robbery:
http://[url]www.guardian.co.uk/mobile/article/0,2763,658712,00.html[/url]
View Quote

Jeezus that's disgusting....

Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#35]
England is going to have to implement the Imaginary Gun Law (IGL).  If you imagine a gun in your head, your head will be cut off and the imaginary gun will be melted down to make more bicycles so the bobbys can catch more Imaginary Gun Law (IGL) offenders.  Don't even think about pointing your finger and going bang! bang!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top