Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2003 8:25:28 AM EDT
And soccer moms are supposed to feel safer??

______
Troopers begin patrolling Logan with machine guns
By Associated Press, 6/12/2003 15:34
BOSTON (AP) An elite state police unit armed with submachine guns began patrolling Logan International Airport at full strength for the first time on Thursday in a move airport officials said would bring peace of mind to the traveling public.

Officials said the special Anti-Terrorism unit is the first permanent security force stationed at a U.S. airport to be armed with submachine guns.

''It's a deterrent and I think it's a comfort for the travelers,'' said Phil Orlandella, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Port Authority, which operates Logan.

National Guard soldiers deployed temporarily at Logan after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks toted the weapons. The two planes that destroyed the World Trade Center took off from Logan.

The guns are MP-5's with 30-round clips and a two-round burst capacity, meaning two shots are fired automatically with one push of the trigger. The guns, designed for accuracy indoors, have noise suppressor units to minimize alarm among travelers if they're used.

Members of the state police troop stationed at Logan received intensive training to become certified on the use of the MP-5's, including live-fire drills, night firing and special tactics.

The unit will conduct security sweeps, roadblocks, intelligence gathering and passenger behavior pattern recognition, a procedure developed by Israeli airport security forces to identify potentially dangerous passengers. It will also act as a rapid response team to terrorist incidents and other high-risk situations.

Since the Sept. 11 attacks, Logan has aggressively pursued security improvements, becoming the first in country to have an in-line baggage screen plan approved by the Transportation Security Administration and to use several forms of high-tech security technology.

[ Send this story to a friend | Most e-mailed articles | Easy-print version ]
________
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#1]
cops with autos...shiiiitttt!!

Seriously..its about time they got some fun toys to use on the job..good luck to them and may they do their JOB. Which isnt going to be improved by the Autos!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The guns are MP-5's with 30-round clips and a two-round burst capacity...
View Quote

Man, I bet it's a bitch to load a 30-round clip into a magazine.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Our tax dollars at work. I hope we did not spend too much on those 30rnd. "clips".
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#4]
My problem is using the subguns in crowded airport terminals.

CRC
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My problem is using the subguns in crowded airport terminals.

CRC
View Quote

don't worry....

The guns, designed for accuracy indoors, have noise suppressor units to minimize alarm among travelers if they're used.
View Quote

see they have already thought of that!

[lol]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...The guns... have noise suppressor units to minimize alarm among travelers if they're used....

View Quote

If Missouri ever allows suppressors, remind me to use that line to fill out my form 4 under the question where they ask why you want to possess one...
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#7]
So now the seeing eye dogs at airports have to contend with automatic fire??
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool, I'm almost tempted to go down there and check them out [:D]

Not only do they have neat toys but they're paid pretty damn good also.

[i]Post-Sept. 11 security boosts state police overtime
By Associated Press

BOSTON- Heightened security at Logan International Airport has almost doubled the cost of airport state police and other facilities, payroll records of the Massachusetts Port Authority show.[/i]

[b]Five officers at the airport-based Troop F earned at least $200,000 last year and almost dozen were paid more than $100,000 each in overtime.[/b][i] The highest paid trooper, Lt. Donald McSweeney,[/i][b] earned $251,000, with more than $160,000 in overtime pay[/b][i] more than Massport CEO Craig Coy, who was paid $250,000.[/i]

[url=http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/02152003/south_of/13151.htm] More.[/url]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#9]
My brother in law had his picture taken with 2 LE types in New York who were wearing semi-military type uniforms and carrying semi-auto weapons (not sure what type but the magazine was behind the trigger group).  Reminded me of pictures a friend showed me when he was in France in the 60's.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey, just like those "man on the street" photos you see in third-world countries--soldiers in the streets with heavy armament.

Cool.  

That's sarcasm a-holes.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Utility knives -vs- MP-5's.

Brilliant.

How about these guys just [i]PAY MORE ATTENTION[/i] instead?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cool, I'm almost tempted to go down there and check them out [:D]

Not only do they have neat toys but they're paid pretty damn good also.

[i]Post-Sept. 11 security boosts state police overtime
By Associated Press

BOSTON- Heightened security at Logan International Airport has almost doubled the cost of airport state police and other facilities, payroll records of the Massachusetts Port Authority show.[/i]

[b]Five officers at the airport-based [red]Troop F [/red]earned at least $200,000 last year and almost dozen were paid more than $100,000 each in overtime.[/b][i] The highest paid trooper, Lt. Donald McSweeney,[/i][b] earned $251,000, with more than $160,000 in overtime pay[/b][i] more than Massport CEO Craig Coy, who was paid $250,000.[/i]

[url=http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/02152003/south_of/13151.htm] More.[/url]
View Quote

F-Troop has come a long way.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Does Logan have El-Al service?

You know, they are carrying the WRONG weapon if the next armed Arab cabbie to shoot up the El Al check in counter decides to wear body armor.

Hope they are as good as they say they are and can get consistant head shots. And that they have good optics on those MP-5's. That is what it will take.

Suppressed Colt Commandos would have been a better choice.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So now the seeing eye dogs at airports have to contend with automatic fire??
View Quote

[LOL]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I think they could spend all that OT $ on some baggage screeners that they just didn't drag out of the drive thru of McD's. After all WTF good is an MP5 at the airport when you have a asshole on the plane trying to light his shoe on fire.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

...or FN P90's.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

...or FN P90's.
View Quote

No, the P90 doesn't have good effects AFTER it goes through the armor. It would take lots and lots of rounds to stop a determined religious fanatic. The more powerful 5.56mm, and its better available bullets would still be the best combination.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

...or FN P90's.
View Quote

No, the P90 doesn't have good effects AFTER it goes through the armor. It would take lots and lots of rounds to stop a determined religious fanatic. The more powerful 5.56mm, and its better available bullets would still be the best combination.
View Quote

Point well taken.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Seeing eye and service  dogs dogs watch out.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Seeing eye and service  dogs dogs watch out.
View Quote

Two hours late on that quip.....check above.....

[lol]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
...The guns... have noise suppressor units to minimize alarm among travelers if they're used....
View Quote

[lol]

"Look honey. A policeman over there is firing his submachine gun. Isn't its quiet operation comforting?"

"Sure is honey. Do you wanna get a magazine before the flight?"

"Hey dad! Check out the blood splattering from that guy over there! Sure glad it's not too noisy!"

etc.....

[lol]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The guns are MP-5's with [red]30-round clips[/red] and a two-round burst capacity, meaning two shots are fired automatically with one [red]push of the trigger[/red]. The guns, designed for accuracy indoors, have [red]noise suppressor units to minimize alarm among travelers if they're used[/red].
View Quote

Yeah ... because the "bap bap bap" sound of bullet impacts against human flesh, followed by the spray of blood and possible brain matter as the person standing next to you is riddled with submachine gun fire is much less alarming when you can't actually hear the guns going off.
[rolleyes]

How the Hell do you push a trigger, anyway?  You'd have to be aiming the gun at yourself in order to do that ...
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How the hell do you push a trigger, anyway?  The elite security JBT's would have to be aiming the gun at themselves in order to do that ...
View Quote

Sounds like a good start......[;D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#25]
so who do these goons work for?
did anyone catch that part?
a "government agency"
WTF?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Man if there are going to be problems at Logan, those LE folks are going to hose the place down, and ask questions later. If an innocent gets in the way, you will be considered collateral damage, and that will be the end of that. All in the name of anti-terrorism.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#27]
how the fuck do i get a jbt job that pays $250,000 a year!?

holy shit!?

must be union work
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
a "government agency"
WTF?
View Quote

Considering the very first words in the article were
An elite state police unit
View Quote

I would assume they work for the Massachusets State Police. Dont you agree?

Man if there are going to be problems at Logan, those LE folks are going to hose the place down, and ask questions later. If an innocent gets in the way, you will be considered collateral damage, and that will be the end of that. All in the name of anti-terrorism
View Quote

Oh really? Based on what information do you make this assertion? Do you know these men? Have you insight into their training?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#29]
As a member of the flying public I'm going to ask myself if I am [b]filled with comfort[/b] in the knowledge that Massachusetts State Police are patrolling Logan International armed with suppressed MP5's.  

"Lets see that's a tough one, I'm going to have to say fuck no".

Of course you realize there will be other police agencies who will see this and do the same thing.  Meanwhile you'll still get your ass mugged in the parking garage.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
As a member of the flying public I'm going to ask myself if I am [b]filled with comfort[/b] in the knowledge that Massachusetts State Police are patrolling Logan International armed with suppressed MP5's.  

"Lets see that's a tough one, I'm going to have to say fuck no".
View Quote

I wouldn't normally do this, but it's 2 AM, I had a reeeal long day at work, and I just don't give rat's ass right now.

Of course you realize there will be other police agencies who will see this and do the same thing.  Meanwhile you'll still get your ass mugged in the parking garage.
View Quote

Not to mention, those "elite" troopers would never be dispatched to "serve and protect" you whilst you are getting the sh*t kicked out of you for your money and car. On top of that, your sorry ass would get thrown in jail if you tried to protect yourself with a concealed pistol without also having MA's Class A carry permit, which is very difficult to obtain.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I was at Logan a few mons after 9/11, and the terminal was patrolled by some black suited ninja dudes with MP-5s with a  sure-fire light.  No emblems on the guy, so I don't know where he was from.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:42:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Just ask yourself, can all of these LE people with their MP5s could have prevented the hijacking of the 2 planes back then? They are just making a lot of noise to impress the natives. The real seriously committed people are not going to be impressed, remember those original 9/11 hijackers were martyrs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#33]
What the hell, if they want to carry them, let them.

As to the "collateral damage" and "hose down" folks, I take it you have never shot an MP5 or been through a Basic Subgun Operator's Course? The MP5 is EXTREMELY accurate at close-in ranges, even on full auto, and these only have S-1-2 trigger groups, so it is not like someone could dump a whole mag with one trigger manipulation. It is simply a matter of training the operators, and very few LE agencies are going to issue something like an MP5 without even a basic Course, these days.

Besides, a long gun almost always beats a handgun in shootings. The longer sight radius and longer barrel makes for far greater inherent accuracy. If someone is going to be shooting at BGs, terrorists or other malcontents in a crowd, and is concerned about not hitting any innocents in the AO, then a long gun is a far better choice than a handgun.

I don't know if an MP5SD is the best choice (probably some stupid LE administrator who still thinks that .223 has more overpenetration than pistol rounds), but they are definitely better armed, and an MP5SD is a good, reliable and fairly sound weapon. Cleaning them sucks, but that is another issue.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
a "government agency"
WTF?
View Quote

Considering the very first words in the article were
An elite state police unit
View Quote

I would assume they work for the Massachusets State Police. Dont you agree?

Man if there are going to be problems at Logan, those LE folks are going to hose the place down, and ask questions later. If an innocent gets in the way, you will be considered collateral damage, and that will be the end of that. All in the name of anti-terrorism
View Quote

Oh really? Based on what information do you make this assertion? Do you know these men? Have you insight into their training?
View Quote

oh, im sorry. i missed the careful description of "1337 5t4t3 p01|c3"
like that could possibly be any more vague...
so who do they work for again?
who do they answer to?
the state?
WTF is that?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
a "government agency"
WTF?
View Quote

I believe they are state policemen. However, they are on assignment to Massport, which is the state agency that controls all "ports". That's only a guess, BTW, but a semi-edumacated one...
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just ask yourself, can all of these LE people with their MP5s could have prevented the hijacking of the 2 planes back then? They are just making a lot of noise to impress the natives. The real seriously committed people are not going to be impressed, remember those original 9/11 hijackers were martyrs.
View Quote

You are forgetting what happend at the El Al counter at LAX last fourth of July.

Airport ticket counters and security lines are favorit targets of terrorists for conventional firearm and hand grenade attacks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#37]
I feel better already.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top