Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2017 6:45:36 PM EDT
Lockheed Martin Announces C-130J-SOF Super Hercules Dedicated to Supporting International Special Operations Forces

PARIS, June 20, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — At the Paris Air Show today, Lockheed Martin officials introduced the C-130J-SOF, the newest Super Hercules aircraft configured for international military special operations requirements.

The C-130J-SOF is the tenth production variant of the Super Hercules. This multi-mission aircraft is specifically intended to meet the unique demands associated with executing operations of strategic importance in support of international Special Operations Forces.

“The C-130J’s inherent versatility is capable of supporting missions across a broad spectrum of military operations and this is amplified once again with the C-130J-SOF,” said Orlando Carvalho, executive vice president of Lockheed Martin Aeronautics. “As our global partners face increasing and evolving threats that transcend borders, they want a proven solution. The C-130J-SOF, is in fact, the solution that will ensure security is preserved around the world.”

The C-130J-SOF provides the capability to execute Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance and psychological operations, airdrop resupply, personnel recovery, humanitarian relief, as well as infiltration, exfiltration, and re-supply of SOF personnel.

With added special mission equipment options, the C-130J-SOF may also be configured for armed overwatch that includes a 30mm gun and Hellfire missiles, helicopter/fighter/vertical-lift aerial refueling, and Forward Area Refueling Point operations.

“Our global partners said they need to support their SOF teams with a solution that is reliable, affordable, effective, and integrated. They must support their teams in the sky, on the sea, and on the ground,” said George Shultz, vice president and general manager, Air Mobility and Maritime Missions at Lockheed Martin. “International operators want a special missions Super Hercules that’s proven and a true force multiplier. Today, we offer that solution to the world in the form of the C-130J-SOF.”

The C-130J Super Hercules is the airlifter of choice for 17 nations, offering superior performance and capabilities, with the range and versatility for every theater of operations. To date, the global Super Hercules fleet has surpassed more than 1.5 million flight hours.

To learn more about the C-130J, visit www.lockheedmartin.com/c130

About Lockheed Martin
Headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland, Lockheed Martin is a global security and aerospace company that employs approximately 97,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration, and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products, and services.
SOURCE: Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company

Lockheed Martin reveals customizable C-130J for international special operators
http://www.defensenews.com/articles/lockheed-reveals-customizable-c-130j-for-international-special-operators

By: Valerie Insinna
Defense News

June 20, 2017

LE BOURGET, France — Lockheed Martin on Tuesday launched a new special operations version of its C-130J Super Hercules specifically meant for international users.

Frese was hesitant to compare the C-130J-SOF with U.S. Air Force Special Operations Command’s AC-130 and MC-130, citing customer sensitivities, but compared to a baseline C-130J, the special operations version has more powerful generators and comes equipped with several sensors and communications systems — like an electro-optical/infrared sensor, satellite communications, and wideband data link — that would not normally come already installed. The aircraft is also constructed with additional armoring and provisions for aerial refueling, he said.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Do these have the JATO rockets as well?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe these are based on the French requirement.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Not needed with the new props and engines. 

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/41996/c130j-235173.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/41996/c130j-235173.jpg
More boosters!  It's always required!!!  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's a C-130J.
No.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#6]
In the arena of the science of air warfare, drones would do it faster, cheaper, and better.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In the arena of the science of air warfare, drones would do it faster, cheaper, and better.
View Quote
  Except when they can't.

These are developed because the French have a requirement to support warfare of the type being fought by them in Africa now. There aren't any drones which can do everything that is needed to,say,move a group of commandos to Mali and aid them while they are there. They are wanting an aircraft  more versatile than USAF AC-130s.They are effectively needing a single plane to do the job of American gunships,Commando X C-130s.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Except when they can't.

These are developed because the French have a requirement to support warfare of the type being fought by them in Africa now. There aren't any drones which can do everything that is needed to,say,move a group of commandos to Mali and aid them while they are there. They are wanting an aircraft  more versatile than USAF AC-130s.They are effectively needing a single plane to do the job of American gunships,Commando X C-130s.
View Quote
drones are cheaper than pilots.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#9]
If they could make it kick JDAMs out the back, it could replace the French ASW platforms being used for bombing missions in Africa.  

Wonder how many JDAMs and similar you could put in a C-130...
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:15:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If they could make it kick JDAMs out the back, it could replace the French ASW platforms being used for bombing missions in Africa.  

View Quote
Around 42,000 lbs worth?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

No need to put them in the back.  We can hang wing pylons and drop bombs, have been doing it for years with AC-130W and the USMC's Harvest Hawk.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
drones are cheaper than pilots.
View Quote
So, a drone is going to take 20 or 30 SOF troops into combat?  I'd like to see that drone.  I'd also doubt you'd see Sp. Ops guys dumb enough to allow and trust a drone pilot sitting stateside sipping a Mountain Dew to take him into harms way.  I'd only trust someone whose ass is on the line to fly me into harms way.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So, a drone is going to take 20 or 30 SOF troops into combat?  I'd like to see that drone.  I'd also doubt you'd see Sp. Ops guys dumb enough to allow and trust a drone pilot sitting stateside sipping a Mountain Dew to take him into harms way.  I'd only trust someone whose ass is on the line to fly me into harms way.
View Quote
Drones make less mistakes than humans.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because we don't take or job seriously?  Or because we're not good at it?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you show us what drone is capable of carrying  a couple dozen commandos and their VPSes from France to Africa with the ability to refuel Caracals along the way? Not a hypothetical drone,something that exists right now which could do this.

There isn't one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I guess you didn't read the article?

It's a fancy C-130...  What kind of air warfare is a SOF-centric gussied up cargo plane taking part in?

Further more, what available UAV platform can complete this mission?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:26:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Around 42,000 lbs worth?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around 42,000 lbs worth?
Would probably have a lot of loiter time too, but only be useful in a permissive air environment.

-K
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can you show us what drone is capable of carrying  a couple dozen commandos and their VPSes from France to Africa with the ability to refuel Caracals along the way? Not a hypothetical drone,something that exists right now which could do this.

There isn't one.
View Quote
The term "drone" is a misnomer.  It implies autonomy. Our "drones" have no more autonomy than manned platforms.  They are just flown remotely.

But to answer your question, the platform doesn't exist because what makes unmanned combat aircraft effective, doesn't translate into a more effective troop transport.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like they would function equally well under water.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trolls make more posts here than anyone else also...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:20:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I guess you didn't read the article?

It's a fancy C-130...  What kind of air warfare is a SOF-centric gussied up cargo plane taking part in?

Further more, what available UAV platform can complete this mission?
View Quote
It can be built. It's all worth it if we get rid of the pilot mafia.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top