Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/17/2005 6:00:30 PM EDT
Where did that expression come from and what does it mean to do.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:05:07 PM EDT
Some say it may have come from way back when flintlocks were the primary firearms of the day. You'd lock back the hammer (which held the flint) before doing anything else in the load process.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:08:08 PM EDT
It's a state of mind.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:11:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
Some say it may have come from way back when flintlocks were the primary firearms of the day. You'd lock back the hammer (which held the flint) before doing anything else in the load process.

That sounds bass ackwards to me, in case the "hammer locking back mechanism" (for lack of a non-budwieser induced state) should fail. If the frizzen is forward there shouldn't be a problem.

Unless we're talking percussion rifles, which throws my statements right out the door.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:12:34 PM EDT
Lock = put safety on

Load = insert magazine

I thought this was a military firing range command
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:17:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mauser101:

Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:

That sounds bass ackwards to me, in case the "hammer locking back mechanism" (for lack of a non-budwieser induced state) should fail. If the frizzen is forward there shouldn't be a problem.

Unless we're talking percussion rifles, which throws my statements right out the door.

If the hammer falls due to failure, it still won't fire the gun, since the last step of the load involves putting powder in the flash pan, which seems impossible with the hammer forward.....
Top Top