Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 1:24:12 PM EDT
The FA fire control group and selector switch have been removed, but it si the real deal. The operator of the range said that it is on loan from the CMP, but that it stays there full time. Does anyone know about how this works? I want the CMP to loan an M14 to me too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
If they are charging rent for that I am betting that is violating the CMP's policy for loaning out M14s.  The gun is on free loan from the CMP and they are making money on it?

I have a friend in my service rifle club that has one.  There are strict rules on who they lend out to, etc...If you are a member of a CMP affiliated club you can apply to get one on loan for a two year loan period I believe.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#2]
That could be some serious trouble for the CO State Rifle & Pistol Assn.. The DCM/CMP signs out M14 NMs to State Associations for marksmanship purposes. I don't think they would be too keen on one being used as a commercial venture. I wonder if CO SR&P even knows it's being used that way.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That could be some serious trouble for the CO State Rifle & Pistol Assn.. The DCM/CMP signs out M14 NMs to State Associations for marksmanship purposes. I don't think they would be too keen on one being used as a commercial venture. I wonder if CO SR&P even knows it's being used that way.

A big +1 on that.

As the former M14 custodian for my state association, these rifles are to be loaned out by the state association *or* a CMP affiliated club. Loaning them out for commercial gain is not what this program is all about. Some clubs do charge a minimal fee to members when they do loan them out, but this is not the same as a *business* doing it for profit.

That is wrong.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll bet the CSSA highpower director will be interested in this.

Tell your story to Tony Fabian at the CSSA.

SRM
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#5]
So you guys think they should be reported? I would hate to see them closed down; it is the only public range nearby.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So you guys think they should be reported? I would hate to see them closed down; it is the only public range nearby.

Whether they would get closed down or not is anyone's guess. But, CMP M14's are for marksmanship training not renting out for commercial gain.

IMHO what *I* think is going on is that either the owner or someone who works there has gotten one on loan through their state association and is "renting" it out at the range. This is not right and opens the CMP and the state association to some liability issues as well. It also deprives someone else who WILL use it in match shooting from being able to shoot it.

At the very least the state association should be notified and probably the CMP as well. All that has to happen to muck it up for everyone else is for crap like this to make the evening news that someone had access to it that was not supposed to, etc., etc.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The M14 is loaned from the US Army to the CMP who in turn loans it out to the CSSA, all of this with Congressional oversight.. The CMP doesn't need to be notified. The Army doesn't need to be notified. The CSSA authorized representitives need to go to that range with CMP paperwork in hand and "reclaim" the rifle. The whole situation is a shitstorm waiting to happen (theft, injury, etc.).

SRM gave you the contact name above. I recommend calling him.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me know if you need alternate means of reaching Tony (CSSA President).

SRM
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Any update?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Let me know if you need alternate means of reaching Tony (CSSA President).

SRM

I sent an e-mail through the CSSA website almost 3 weeks ago. I have not heard back from them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I sent an e-mail through the CSSA website almost 3 weeks ago. I have not heard back from them.

Don't expect to. When I was membership chairman for my state CMP association I had to try and deal with them on a member matter. I sent them an e-mail about 2 1/2 years ago and am still awaiting a response.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top