Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2005 10:00:19 PM EDT
As of June 30 my local range [Springfield Sportsmans Conservation Club] lost it's lease.  
The owner decided not to renew us, and just told us now.  So, I no longer have a shooting range close to me.  I am sooo bummed out right now...  

Soooo, no more Monthly 3Gun matches, and I now find myself with a TON of target stands and such that I need to find a way to store..  I may end up selling most of the target stands and such - but don't get frisky and lock my thread for being in the wrong place, I am not offering anything for sale yet.  None of it would be worth shipping anyway.  I am so bummed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#1]
why did he throw in the towel?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Good time to look into organizing the members and chipping in $1000 each or whatever to buy a new, and forever untouchable, piece of land to shoot on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Feh. All three of my nice local-regional outdoor ranges got damaged by the major rainstorms in SoCal this winter. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot a long-gun since January. The two-lane asphalt road to my nearest range is STILL washed out, isn't expected to be back in service until September - and it was a steadily-travelled bypass road.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, sorry to hear that. My local outdoor range Fish Canyon that is 15minutes from my house in the San Gabriel Valley(10 miles east of Los Angeles) is also closing but I don't know exactly when. I think the range owners have 18 months to find another venue, but I think they are just going to close the range and forget it. The range has been there for something like 50 years, but houses grew up around it and claim they didn't know about the range etc. That was all the anti-gun city of Azusa needed to revoke it's conditional use permit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, sorry to hear that. My local outdoor range Fish Canyon that is 15minutes from my house in the San Gabriel Valley(10 miles east of Los Angeles) is also closing but I don't know exactly when. I think the range owners have 18 months to find another venue, but I think they are just going to close the range and forget it. The range has been there for something like 50 years, but houses grew up around it and claim they didn't know about the range etc. That was all the anti-gun city of Azusa needed to revoke it's conditional use permit.

Shooting Ranges
Airports
Traintracks
Dragstrips
Cattle Ranches etc...

Don't you love that SHIT...!

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Feh. All three of my nice local-regional outdoor ranges got damaged by the major rainstorms in SoCal this winter. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot a long-gun since January. The two-lane asphalt road to my nearest range is STILL washed out, isn't expected to be back in service until September - and it was a steadily-travelled bypass road.

Rayra,

Come to one of our matches in Castaic.  We have a beautiful range.  We haven't completely finished our recovery but we are up and running.  It is important for a club to have events and for people to have a place to participate.

We are hosting a 600 yard match on June 5th.  A full course (200/300/600 yards) high power match on July 10th.

We are planning a CMP Garand match.

Check the web site for our next M1 clinic and 100 yard National Match event (3rd Sunday of June?)

Burbank Rifle & Revolver Club
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#7]
If there's enough interest it won't be long before someone opens another.  Save your target stands.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:24:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
why did he throw in the towel?

Well *she* [the owner] is like a bazillion years old and living in Kalifornia, and her thirtysomething, single Grand daughter lives on the other half of the property.  I strongly suspect it was the granddaughter that convinced her not to renew because she dosen't like guns, but that is merely my personal suspicion, not backed up by any facts.

Quoted:
If there's enough interest it won't be long before someone opens another. Save your target stands.

The problem is the where, not the interest.  Springfield has lost 3 local ranges in the last few years, and gained no new ones.   It seems Chicagoitis has taken hold here.  Shooting seems to be dying as a sport around here, I am the only one of my group that is even in my 30's..  and there are no 20somethings..   Most of the group is 40+.   There are other ranges, but this one was mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top