Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/13/2010 4:26:04 AM EDT
Woke up to this article this morning. This is the high school my son will likely go to when he is old enough

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/102750119.html

School tests hair for drug use

Central starts costlier policy
  • By REBEKAH ALLEN
  • Advocate staff writer
  • Published: Sep 13, 2010

CENTRAL — Beginning this school year, students attending Central Middle and Central High schools who wish to participate in extracurricular activities or drive to school will have to prove they’re drug-free via a hair sample, school system officials said.

So far about 260 students have been tested with more to come, Central Community Schools Superintendent Michael Faulk said.

Faulk said the drug test will affect about 450 students at the high school and 150 at the middle school. The initial results have not come back, he said.

The anti-drug policy will be discussed before the School Board at 6 p.m. tonight at Kristenwood Catering and Reception, 14025 Greenwell Springs Road.

This is the first year the school system is using hair in the drug test, Faulk said. In previous years, select students have been subjected to urine tests, a more commonly used method among schools, he said.

"Driving and extracurricular activities are privileges that a child chooses to do,” Faulk said. "The drug testing is designed to see if they are using drugs away from the school while representing our school in an activity. It’s also designed to give students the opportunity to resist the temptation because of the consequences.”

The hair test detects drug use, but not alcohol, for 90 days, whereas a urine test can only detect use for 30 days, school officials said. The school system is using Workforce Med Center to collect the samples, school officials said.

Central Athletic Director Sid Edwards said students began getting tested on the sixth day of school, which means drug use that occurred over the summer break could be used against students.

But some students aren’t happy about being monitored for actions that took place while school was out.

"It’s really none of their business what we did over the summer,” said Loren Gullett, 17, a Central High senior who plays softball. Gullett said she hasn’t been tested.

Eleventh-grader Heather Bozeman, 16, said some students being tested were getting noticeable "chunks” of hair removed from their heads. "It’s an invasion of privacy,” she said.

Kaylee Dinot, 14, a ninth-grade volleyball player, said three samples of hair were removed from her head, but it wasn’t noticeable. But "there was this other girl who had a bald spot,” she said.

Paige Roberts, 15, a ninth-grade volleyball player, said she agrees with the policy. "Especially at our age, people need to be tested,” she said.

School officials contend that the anti-drug policy is a matter of safety.

"We’re not trying to micromanage anyone’s lives, but when you’re dealing with drug use it doesn’t matter if they did it in July or if they did it in October,” Edwards said. "We’re not trying to police them or punish them. We’re trying to help them.”

Students who test positive will be suspended from whatever activity they participate in for 10 days or until they show a negative test, according to the district’s anti-drug policy.

Their parents or guardians will be notified, the policy says, and the students will be forced to attend in-house drug counseling.

Edwards said the infraction will not appear on a student’s record, but the student may be monitored more closely for drug use in the future. However, he said, if a student is caught under the influence of a drug or has possession of a drug on campus, then he or she could be expelled.

Faulk said the hair sample test costs about $42 per student, compared to $4 per student for the urine test.

"It is expensive,” Central School Board President Sharon Browning said. "But if we save one child, it’s worth the expense.”

Marjorie Esman, state director for the ACLU, said schools have no business monitoring what students do in their off time.

"If a kid does something on Friday night after school, and then they’re fine by Monday morning, it has nothing to do with their life at school,” Esman said.

Esman also questioned whether the test could pick up traces of drugs, such as marijuana smoke, that were secondhand.

But Workforce Med Center Manager Mike Townsend said only the inside of the hair is tested, and outside influences would not taint the sample.

Browning said she expects that most parents will be supportive of the measure.

"You cannot tell me there’s a parent who would not want to know,” she said. "No parent in his right mind would say we shouldn’t do this.”

Edwards said he doesn’t think Central’s students have a drug problem, per se, but he does acknowledge a national drug problem pervading schools.

"We want to be a leader and have a vision to protect our kids from drug use,” Edwards said. "This is long overdue for any school system.”

So ARFCOM... Keeping in mind that this is a public high school... Good idea? Big Brother going too far? Discuss....

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:33:55 AM EDT
With parental permission
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:35:07 AM EDT
"It is expensive,” Central School Board President Sharon Browning said. "But if we save one child, it’s worth the expense.”

I bet she never said this about carry permits.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:35:47 AM EDT
Old news.

I was taking mandatory drug tests in Middleschool in 2001-2002

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:36:39 AM EDT

i don't think you can really classify driving as an "extracirricular activity" in which students are "representing their school".

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:37:14 AM EDT
Participating in extracurricular activities or driving to school aren't rights, they are privileges. Usually the kids have to also keep a minimum GPA for these as well. I don't have a problem with it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:38:42 AM EDT
Submit. Learn it early.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:41:09 AM EDT
IBACLU
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:41:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BR870:
So ARFCOM... Keeping in mind that this is a public high school... Good idea? Big Brother going too far? Discuss....

I think its a silly waste of money.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:42:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bubbles:
Participating in extracurricular activities or driving to school aren't rights, they are privileges. Usually the kids have to also keep a minimum GPA for these as well. I don't have a problem with it.

Ya but, driving to school?
I mean if I person is old enough to drive, they are old enough to drive...how is the school involved w/ that

I don't see the logic in that one.

We always got stoned across the street from our high school; just to be safe...not being school property and all

Speed
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:44:14 AM EDT
Should do the teachers first...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:44:45 AM EDT
I don't understand how anyone thinks this is a good idea.

You want your kids drug tested? Head on over to CVS.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:48:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By surveyor3:
I don't understand how anyone thinks this is a good idea.

You want your kids drug tested? Head on over to CVS.
Agreed... Its too early for me to articulate why, but I feel this is too Big Brother for me...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:51:40 AM EDT
It's your own fault if you send your kids off to the government school.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:52:00 AM EDT
It's best to teach kids at a young age to submit to random drug tests and searches at a young age. This way they do not question authority and behave like good subjects when they are older.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:54:38 AM EDT
The worst part in my mind is that it is not even testing for drug use during school. A hair sample is going to show what the students were doing over the summer for the most part...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:58:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By arowneragain:
It's your own fault if you send your kids off to the government school.

Other than this, we have a very good school system. Our community is recently independent from the big city system nearby. At one time we were latched on to EBR, and dragged down with them, but now it is one of the very best in the state.

One of the primary reasons, if not THE primary reason, for Central seperating was to have a separate school system. Our community is otherwise very proud and supportive of the Central School system...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:59:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
It's best to teach kids at a young age to submit to random drug tests and searches at a young age. This way they do not question authority and behave like good subjects when they are older.

Yep.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:04:47 AM EDT
GOOD
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:07:52 AM EDT

Those are my thoughts as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:10:00 AM EDT
Fuck that noise, and fuck big brother.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:10:36 AM EDT
They'd catch more people if they tested all the teachers and administrators at that school. I wouldn't be surprised if 60+% of them were alcoholics or were on hard drugs or psychiatric meds.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:10:46 AM EDT
Personally, I think it is a terrible idea.

If you want to test for something, have voluntary, free tests for HIV.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:11:22 AM EDT
yet the motherfuckers still won't randomly drug test people on welfare.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:11:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 5:12:33 AM EDT by Bubbles]
Originally Posted By speedracer422:
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

Ya but, driving to school?
I mean if I person is old enough to drive, they are old enough to drive...how is the school involved w/ that

I don't see the logic in that one.

My HS had a limited number of parking spots in the student lot, so permits were only issued to seniors who maintained a minimum GPA.

Originally Posted By seven-six-two:

When that bill was introduced in the WV legislature last year, some liberal cunt claimed that doing so was racist.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:12:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Avandir:
Old news.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:13:02 AM EDT
Let's see..we'll drug test kids who want to play sports or drive to school, but won't test people on welfare.

Makes sense to me!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:16:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 5:21:09 AM EDT by BR870]

ahem

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/byinst.asp?sessionid=10RS&billid=HB617

FWIW, that bill was shot down but atleast in Louisiana were trying to get it passed
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:16:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VACaver:
Let's see..we'll drug test kids who want to play sports or drive to school, but won't test people on welfare.

Makes sense to me!

see post above
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:18:15 AM EDT
I can understand the drug test for extra curricular activity participation to an extent but it's the limiting driving thing that schools are wanting to do that bugs me. I've heard of driving being taken away due to poor academic performance and dropping out equates to loosing your license also. WTF you pass the tests, pay the fees you get your license the school system needs to stay out of weather or not anyone can drive.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:19:19 AM EDT
Why does this seem like a violation of the 4th amendment?

I'd also say they should test all of the teachers and administrators too. Goose, gander, and all that...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:21:59 AM EDT
I had to do it when I played high school sports. They only tested athletes for drugs because we are the "role models" of the high school. Total BS. I could name 50 kids off the top of my head that didn't play sports or give two shits about who did let alone looked up to them that were druggies.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:22:03 AM EDT

This!!

WTF is wrong with people ? I think the whole fucking world is going fucking nuts!...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:25:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Avandir:
Old news.

Does yo mama know you postin here?

Seriously though. I would not want my child to have his person searched chemically without probable cause in order to avoid being punished.

If my kid needs a drug test, I'LL administer it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:35:10 AM EDT
They probably aren't testing every kid that drives to school, just the ones that park on campus. When my HS was doing the drug testing, everyone who played sports, participated in any extra curricular activities or bought a campus parking permit had to sign a consent to testing along with the parent wavier. Didn't agree to it then you didn't get to do any of the stuff listed previously.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:56:23 AM EDT
Parental permission first? If not, I smell a HUGE lawsuit for a Fourth Amendment violation...

Bastards.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:02:45 AM EDT

This.

Yet the article seems to indicate it's perfectly fine to binge on some Budweiser and Jack Daniels.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:03:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AR-180:
Personally, I think it is a terrible idea.

If you want to test for something, have voluntary, free tests for HIV.

Hell, make testing available for all STDs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:05:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RightwingNutjob:
I can understand the drug test for extra curricular activity participation to an extent but it's the limiting driving thing that schools are wanting to do that bugs me. I've heard of driving being taken away due to poor academic performance and dropping out equates to loosing your license also. WTF you pass the tests, pay the fees you get your license the school system needs to stay out of weather or not anyone can drive.

I suspect that's a money issue. All them busses and all them drivers don't come cheap!
If those busses aren't kept occupied to a certain percentage they'd probably have to downsize.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:19:00 AM EDT
"You cannot tell me there’s a parent who would not want to know,” she said. "No parent in his right mind would say we shouldn’t do this.”

Ok, so I am not in my right mind then
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:19:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By gonzo_beyondo:

This.

Yet the article seems to indicate it's perfectly fine to binge on some Budweiser and Jack Daniels.

No shit. When I was in high school, towards the middle of senior year they started putting cameras in the hallways, but for most of high school, there were no metal detectors, cameras, no 42 cops patrolling campus, none of that shit. There were 2 SROs and a few hall monitors. And I said the same thing about the cameras waaaay back then-it just makes it easier to turn up the control incrementally. Next up will be RFID badges with readers throughout campus-that way, they can monitor students' movements to make sure they don't go where they shouldn't.

Sorry kids, but the people who are certain that they know what's best for you are going to take all the sharp edges out of your world. You'll arrive at adulthood with the expectation that "They" won't ever let anything bad happen to you, nor will they let you make any mistakes. And then the world will eat you alive.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:20:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 6:20:56 AM EDT by Gravity_Tester]
Double tap. Someone hair test my PC-it's obviously on drugs!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:23:33 AM EDT
I like paying more taxes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:23:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MedPig:
Parental permission first? If not, I smell a HUGE lawsuit for a Fourth Amendment violation...

Bastards.

This issue has already been up to SCOTUS twice, and the majority said "OK to drug test students involved in extracurricular activities."

In the second case, Ginsburg has a bitingly sarcastic dissent in which she really takes the majority to task over whether the kids who want to get involved in extracurricular activities are really the at-risk group.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:26:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By strat81:
Why does this seem like a violation of the 4th amendment?

My thinking exactly. You know, unreasonable search and seizure.

You know, the Constitution, that old document that's supposed to be the law of the land. The thing that we as a government need to get back to.

Chalk up another reason why any kid of mine will go to private or parochial school.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:29:33 AM EDT
I never realized this happened until my FIL told me they did it all the time at the HS he works at. They test many of their athletes ( I dunno if it is all of them or what).
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:30:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 17Z:
Should do the teachers first...

i dont think they have the option of riding the school bus :)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:32:27 AM EDT
I'm not really sure how to feel about this.

Our schools continue to develop into prison like environments in some cases. I know, until you are 18 you have "no rights" but when kids are used to being without rights they don't seem to understand when they have them and what they are.

I guess education could fix that but again, other than parents, who is doing any educating?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:44:58 AM EDT
Fuck that. I would bet that is illegal drug testing hair samples of high school kids. It is specifically looking for PAST drug use over a 120 day or longer period, not real time drug use. What is the justification? There is non. They can NOT claim t's safety since they aren't looking for stoned students. While I don't condone the use of drugs, the school / town has no right to test if students did drugs over the summer when they were not in school. This is tyranny.

If I was a student there I would shave my head and tell them to fuck off. and I have never done drugs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:50:21 AM EDT
"Mr. & Mrs. xxxxxx, I'm Deputy Jbt from the Jbtville Police Dept. We are here today because little Johnny tested positive for reefer at school. Since he was in your custody during the usage time frame, I'm gonna go ahead and need you to put your hands behind your back. You're under arrest for child endangerment, drug possession, etc......."
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:50:58 AM EDT
I would sue the school for not having a custody chain, not splitting the sample into 2 samples and sending each sample to 2 independent labs for testing.

Without a custody chain, the result is not legal. And yes, labs have been shown to make mistakes on names, samples, and false results.

I would have my son drive to school and park off school property and walk the rest of the way with a shaved head.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top