Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2015 3:11:22 PM EDT
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/local-neighborhood-high-alert-after-home-invasions/njqzX/
She says last week, her neighbors were robbed, and the suspects turned off her neighbor's power, just to get them outside of the home.

“There was a confrontation with guns, we actually have bullet holes in the back of our home siding and then two days later, that Saturday, we heard on the message board that two homes had been broken into,” she said.
View Quote

Police are still looking for the 4 men who committed last night's home invasion. In the meantime, neighbors remain on edge. They say they pay more than $200 a month in home association fees, and that it should be enough for them to be able to feel safe.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Feelings vs. Facts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#2]
She says last week, her neighbors were robbed, and the suspects turned off her neighbor's power, just to get them outside of the home.

“There was a confrontation with guns, we actually have bullet holes in the back of our home siding and then two days later, that Saturday, we heard on the message board that two homes had been broken into,” she said.
View Quote

Why would losing power lead one to go outside? What, are you going to go and fix the grid yourself?

Police are still looking for the 4 men who committed last night's home invasion. In the meantime, neighbors remain on edge. They say they pay more than $200 a month in home association fees, and that it should be enough for them to be able to feel safe.
View Quote

That's some funny shit right there. Yeah, your HOA is going to keep you safe from armed criminals. Do you live in George Zimmerman's neighborhood?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
When you live a quarter mile from the Fulton County Food Stamp office, don't expect a trouble-free neighborhood.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Snip....
Why would losing power lead one to go outside? What, are you going to go and fix the grid yourself?

Some older homes have the service panels located on the outside of the home.  Might even be part of the meter box.  So, you pop a fuse...go outside to check the panel.  Even some rewired houses with breakers will leave the panel outside since it's cheaper than rewiring the entire house to move it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's some funny shit right there. Yeah, your HOA is going to keep you safe from armed criminals. Do you live in George Zimmerman's neighborhood?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was just going to say send in the Zim-Zam.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Snip....

Some older homes have the service panels located on the outside of the home.  Might even be part of the meter box.  So, you pop a fuse...go outside to check the panel.  Even some rewired houses with breakers will leave the panel outside since it's cheaper than rewiring the entire house to move it outside
View Quote

I've spent most of my life living in houses that were built 80+ years ago and I've never seen that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I am amused that they think the HOA should protect them.  That is a whole new level of retardation... even more retarded than expecting the police to always be able to protect you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like some of the people from the "why don't you have night vision" thread need to have a look.

My main breaker is outside. After dark, I have an AR, or G21 with flashlight readily available. If my power goes out, and the neighbors doesn't, I'm walking outside at the high ready.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am amused that they think the HOA should protect them.  That is a whole new level of retardation... even more retarded than expecting the police to always be able to protect you.
View Quote

If I paid an HOA $200 a month (I would never do this) I would expect a fucking gated community, a bunch of street lights, and rent a cops. Especially after a series of break ins. HOA is just basically the lowest level of government, and it seems it makes more sense to want them to protect you than the city, county, State or Feds.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Snip....

Some older homes have the service panels located on the outside of the home.  Might even be part of the meter box.  So, you pop a fuse...go outside to check the panel.  Even some rewired houses with breakers will leave the panel outside since it's cheaper than rewiring the entire house to move it.
View Quote

"How could they cut the power?! They're animals!"
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When you live a quarter mile from the Fulton County Food Stamp office, don't expect a trouble-free neighborhood.
View Quote

I wouldn't have chosen that particular area to settle down in, myself.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've spent most of my life living in houses that were built 80+ years ago and I've never seen that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip....

Some older homes have the service panels located on the outside of the home.  Might even be part of the meter box.  So, you pop a fuse...go outside to check the panel.  Even some rewired houses with breakers will leave the panel outside since it's cheaper than rewiring the entire house to move it outside

In AZ, it is very common to have service panels on the exterior of the home. Even new houses.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip....

I can yank your electric meter in 5-10 seconds.

Even if you have an auto start generator, all I need to do is cut off the fuel to it before I pull the electric meter and it'll never fire up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Even if you have an auto start generator, all I need to do is cut off the fuel to it before I pull the electric meter and it'll never fire up.
View Quote

No shit, but when the power goes out - it's not like I immediately think, "oh, some asshole must have yanked my meter. It clearly wasn't some fault upstream in the grid because a pole got hit by a car or hit by lightning." In other words, why would my logical next step be to go outside?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/local-neighborhood-high-alert-after-home-invasions/njqzX/

View Quote

View Quote
View Quote

Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip....

How bizarre.  How does your electric company check your meter?  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How bizarre.  How does your electric company check your meter?  http://www.evertonelectric.net/breaker-panel-thumb.jpg
View Quote

Meter is outside. Panel is inside. Wizardry.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How bizarre.  How does your electric company check your meter?  http://www.evertonelectric.net/breaker-panel-thumb.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip....

The house I grew up in was built in the early 70's. It didn't have a panel over the meter like that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The house I grew up in was built in the early 70's. It didn't have a panel over the meter like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've lived in houses built from 1918 to 2007, in three different states, and have never seen that either. I didn't realize it was even possible to put the panel outside, just from a weather standpoint.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I always laugh at folks who live under HOA's. That year's worth of fees at $200 a month could buy a nice AR with an optic and some ammo. They would actually be pretty safe with that set-up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#21]
HOA =
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#22]
My HOA will protect me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If they're paying $200/month I'm guessing this is a gated community.  I'd expect that there would be some protection from roaming packs of thugs for that.  That said, will we learn in the end that the thugs are buddies with the gate guard or friends of a resident who moved into the community to set up a base of operations for such criminal activities?  I'm aware that is what happened in a couple of gated communities with multi-hundred dollar HOA fees that have turned into hives of criminal activity.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If I paid an HOA $200 a month (I would never do this) I would expect a fucking gated community, a bunch of street lights, and rent a cops. Especially after a series of break ins. HOA is just basically the lowest level of government, and it seems it makes more sense to want them to protect you than the city, county, State or Feds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fourth paragraph: "...has lived in the gated southwest Atlanta community..."

I suspect the gated feature is the source of the frustration with the HOA, which is responsible for maintaining the gate, and resident access.  Perhaps the gate is broken, or they never change the access code.

I don't know what good rent-a-cops would do in this instance.  They likely wouldn't be aware of the home invasion until after the perps have left the community.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

. In the meantime, neighbors remain on edge. They say they pay more than $200 a month in home association fees, and that it should be enough for them to be able to feel safe.
View Quote
View Quote

So what services or promises were made to them in exchange for that monthly payment?

I'd be curious to hear more about that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen a house with the breakers outside.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Disregard, gate is located further inside development.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I suspect the gated feature is the source of the frustration with the HOA, which is responsible for maintaining the gate, and resident access.  Perhaps the gate is broken, or they never change the access code.

I don't know what good rent-a-cops would do in this instance.  They likely wouldn't be aware of the home invasion until after the perps have left the community.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#1 The gate sucks.
#2 The rent a cops suck if they have them.

Time to change the gate code, and get new security. I wouldn't be surprised if security was in on it.

Edit time to add a gate. Lol the gated community with outrageous fees, and no gate.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My HOA will protect me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No shit, but when the power goes out - it's not like I immediately think, "oh, some asshole must have yanked my meter. It clearly wasn't some fault upstream in the grid because a pole got hit by a car or hit by lightning." In other words, why would my logical next step be to go outside?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To see if it's just your house that lost power or the whole neighborhood.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#32]
More than $200 a month in fees to live in this?

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A shining example of douches expecting others to provide their safety.
View Quote

Or maybe people just pissed that they pay $200 a month in BS worthless taxes. If I had a worthless HOA, I'd sing that song at every opportunity.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip....

Ours was built in 2003 and our box is outside.  Padlocked. Our breakers pop all the time.  I never thought about bad guys.  Will have to have a plan for that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

More than $200 a month in fees to live in this?

http://i.imgur.com/HBPJdpA.png
View Quote
no its so you dont live next to this

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Aspiring Electrical Inspector.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Lived most of my life on the East Coast (Maryland, Connecticut, and briefly in Alabama), and worked on houses in four more states, and I never saw an outside breaker box.

Until I moved here. They're pretty common, but I don't know why.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Snip....

View Quote

Building codes require the meter and main breaker to be accessible from the outside of the house. If there is a fire, the fire department or power company needs access to the meter and main breaker to kill the power to the house.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Time to change the gate code, and get new security. I wouldn't be surprised if security was in on it.  
View Quote

Hitting this place over and over? Someone in the neighborhood is in on it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Southwest Atlanta. Robberies.

No way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If they're paying $200/month I'm guessing this is a gated community.  I'd expect that there would be some protection from roaming packs of thugs for that.  That said, will we learn in the end that the thugs are buddies with the gate guard or friends of a resident who moved into the community to set up a base of operations for such criminal activities?  I'm aware that is what happened in a couple of gated communities with multi-hundred dollar HOA fees that have turned into hives of criminal activity.
View Quote

$200/month HOA fee doesn't even get you a pool in some parts of my state. And those gates don't do much.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they not have windows?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  That's not my first reaction.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Southwest Atlanta. Robberies.

No way.
View Quote

I, for one, am baffled.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Putting the stupidity of believing that somehow paying a HOA fee gives you security ,  Atlanta , Ga is a very dangerous city.  For blacks and whites alike .

The S/W  area has been dicey for years.

and just damn forget downtown around the capital.

gd
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My HOA will protect me.

This cannot be ridiculed and repeated enough.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#47]
All of the gates I have seen get rammed and damaged every other week. Eventually the HOA stops repairing them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that's how you would handle it.  I can tell you from experience that when a neighborhood loses power, if you look outside (or apparently heaven forbid, walk outside), you'll probably see 20% or more of the neighbors doing the exact same thing.  It's not exactly a rare or uncommon reaction to losing power.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To see if your neighbor's lights are on, and to talk to them and make sure they're okay.

It's what I did. I got to know my neighbors a bit better by putting down my Hot Pockets leaving the basement.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mentality: It has to be SOMEONE'S responsibility to make us safe!

As long as it's not ours.....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top