Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/27/2004 9:06:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 6:53:06 PM EST by BigDozer66]

9/27/2004 Police investigating double slaying
By GARY BASS, The Lufkin Daily News

DIBOLL — A man and woman were found shot to death in front of a Diboll self-storage business Sunday night, police said.

"We have two dead, one female and one male," said Diboll Police Detective Richard Thompson. "Right now, the incident is still under investigation, and we're not going to be able to release the names until we know that all the next of kin have been notified."

Thompson said a witness to the shooting had been staying at the Best Western motel in Diboll, across U.S. Highway 59 from A-1 Self Storage. That person called 911 at about 8:30 p.m., Thompson said.

Diboll Police Chief Kent Havard was unavailable for comment Sunday night, and Thompson declined to comment on what law enforcement officials think might have happened. Justice of the Peace Esther Crager Barger pronounced the two people dead at the scene.

White sheets covered the two bodies, which were found just inside the open front gates of the storage business. Numbered evidence markers littered the parking lot.

As law enforcement officers snapped photos and took measurements, family members and friends started arriving at the scene. As another person held her, one grief-stricken relative sobbed and screamed in Spanish. Small knots of family and friends gathered just outside the yellow crime scene tape, crying and holding each other as they looked toward the storage business.

At one point, Diboll Police officers borrowed a ladder from the fire department and climbed up on the roof of each of the business' two buildings, searching for evidence. Later, they also went through the green SUV parked between the two buildings.

Among the evidence found at the scene was an assault-style rifle. After ejecting a round from the weapon's chamber, police officers placed the weapon in an evidence bag, and it was later placed in the trunk of one of the officers' cars. Thompson said the rifle appeared to be an AR-15.

Shortly before the bodies were taken from the scene, a Catholic priest arrived on the scene to administer the last rites.

Gary Bass' e-mail address is gbass@coxnews.com.

I will try to find out more on it as it comes available.

This isn't the "Big City" like NY, Miami or LA so if the Police Detective says it looks like an AR15 then it more than likely is an AR15.

My wife, who works in Diboll, says the "talk of the town" is that it was a murder/suicide but I will verify this and let everyone know.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:07:53 AM EST

Sure hope it wasn't one of us...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:08:39 AM EST

Among the evidence found at the scene was an assault-style rifle. After ejecting a round from the weapon's chamber, police officers placed the weapon in an evidence bag, and it was later placed in the trunk of one of the officers' cars. Thompson said the rifle appeared to be an AR-15.

I'm gonna guess that's the new word for un-converted post-ban guns..
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:09:50 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:30:46 AM EST
I have checked the local TV news website and it has no updates either.

I will check again later and see if any more developments are available.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:34:54 AM EST
Damnit... why can't they use something else???

I mean.... this senseless violence needs to stop...

- BG
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:46:06 AM EST
And why was a weapon left behind because the Left wing did it and they want to take are guns away so bad they will kill someone just for that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:46:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
damn...more bad publicity!
a murder/suicide could be 'explained away' as fast as my bud with the aug (recent murder suicide in geneva, ohio with assault rifle)....let's hope so.

Not to hijack the thread, but did the second guy die from his wounds? I thought this was just a suicide.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:48:02 AM EST
More fuel for the liberals. Since they can only quote 5 or 6 "assault rifle" killings that anyone has heard of, we'd best hope that this stays in the local paper.

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
damn...more bad publicity!

a murder/suicide could be 'explained away' as fast as my bud with the aug (recent murder suicide in geneva, ohio with assault rifle)....let's hope so.

somebody used an aug in a murder/suicide? that's one expensive way to die.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:55:42 AM EST
I must be missing something. Specifically, there's no evidence the recovered AR-15 was used in this shooting. Heck, it could have been the victims' rifle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:07:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By M4-TUNA:
And why was a weapon left behind because the Left wing did it and they want to take are guns away so bad they will kill someone just for that.

I think the guy commited suicide with it and the rifle fell there close to him.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:09:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By danno-in-michigan:
I must be missing something. Specifically, there's no evidence the recovered AR-15 was used in this shooting. Heck, it could have been the victims' rifle.

They believe it was a murder/suicide and that the rifle in question was the one used.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:09:37 AM EST
I went to college with the reporter, I'll see what I can find out.

Kirk
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:36:59 PM EST
The "October Surprise" this election year will be fortuitous mass slayings using "assault weapons".

They will appear like clockwork, out of nowhere. And Bush will get the blame.

And if none happen, the media will trump some up. They want Bush out, any which way they can, and will twist/omit/overemphasize certain truths that fit their aims and de-emphasize/omit inconvenient ones that do not. They must fit their ends, i.e., higher ratings and a successful election of a Democratic candidate.

Gair-on-tee.

Newspaper publisher William Randolph Hearst said, "You supply the news, I'll supply the war". He wasn't kidding, and neither are these guys.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:37:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 3:39:03 PM EST by M4-TUNA]
Most have been hell shooting yourself with AR. He must haved used his big toe to pull the trigger OH WELLIt can be done without feet never mind
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:41:16 PM EST
The Lufkin newspaper is more leftist than Pravda was. Don't expect anything but anti-gun drible from it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:52:52 PM EST
No updates at 5 or 6 PM so I'll see at 10 PM!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:53:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By Mahatma8Rice:
The Lufkin newspaper is more leftist than Pravda was. Don't expect anything but anti-gun drible from it.

It is about as unbiased as Mich@el M00re!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:08:53 PM EST

09/27/04 - Diboll
Police are Calling it a Murder/Suicide

by Jessica Cervantez

Police in Diboll are calling it a murder/suicide. A man and his estranged wife are dead, after a shooting. This is only the second murder investigation in Diboll, in the past three years.

25-year-old Amanda Solis had been married to 29-year-old Aaron Sanches for 11 years. Family members say the couple was having marital problems. They'd been separated for two months and were going through a divorce.

No one saw Sunday night's tragedy coming. The situation turned deadly at A-1 Self Storage. Investigators believe Aaron Sanchez shot his estranged wife with an assault rifle before turning a gun on himself.

Diboll Police Chief Kent Havard said, "As far as what happened at the scene, what triggered the husband to commit the shooting, we're not clear, we've got two witnesses left that we need to talk to."

The couple's eight-year-old son saw everything happen.

Chief Havard said, "We just didn't feel that it was appropriate last night to talk to him. We just made sure the family removed him from the scene, I just did not think it was a good thing for him to be seeing all of this going on, he had seen enough."

No one knows for sure what exactly triggered the shooting.

Chief Havard said, "They had a hearing Thursday. We're in the process of getting those documents to see if there are some answers there."

Family members say Solis had a restraining order against her estranged husband. They believe she had gone to the storage to pick up some of her things and then left. Sanchez apparently called her back to pick up her son. That's when the shooting happened.

Police found four bullets at the scene. Autopsy results are expected soon.
Copyright KTRE 9 news.

The latest on the local TV station.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:20:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 6:21:20 PM EST by LRGunner]

From Article:
Police in Diboll are calling it a murder/suicide..........25-year-old Amanda Solis had been married to 29-year-old Aaron Sanches for 11 years......

Anyone else catch this? Gotta be a typo........

Either way, It's a sad situation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:28:34 PM EST

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:40:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 6:40:49 PM EST by MisterFloppy]

Originally Posted By BigDozer66:

09/27/04 - Diboll
Police are Calling it a Murder/Suicide

by Jessica Cervantez

Police in Diboll are calling it a murder/suicide. A man and his estranged wife are dead, after a shooting. This is only the second murder investigation in Diboll, in the past three years.

25-year-old Amanda Solis had been married to 29-year-old Aaron Sanches for 11 years. Family members say the couple was having marital problems. They'd been separated for two months and were going through a divorce.

No one saw Sunday night's tragedy coming. The situation turned deadly at A-1 Self Storage. Investigators believe Aaron Sanchez shot his estranged wife with an assault rifle before turning a gun on himself.

Diboll Police Chief Kent Havard said, "As far as what happened at the scene, what triggered the husband to commit the shooting, we're not clear, we've got two witnesses left that we need to talk to."

Chief Havard said, "We just didn't feel that it was appropriate last night to talk to him. We just made sure the family removed him from the scene, I just did not think it was a good thing for him to be seeing all of this going on, he had seen enough."

No one knows for sure what exactly triggered the shooting.

Chief Havard said, "They had a hearing Thursday. We're in the process of getting those documents to see if there are some answers there."

Family members say Solis had a restraining order against her estranged husband. They believe she had gone to the storage to pick up some of her things and then left. Sanchez apparently called her back to pick up her son. That's when the shooting happened.

Police found four bullets at the scene. Autopsy results are expected soon.
Copyright KTRE 9 news.

The latest on the local TV station.

BigDozer66

So it was an M16?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:43:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By Tras:

It is sickening how people don't think of the reprocussions of their actions outside themselves.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:50:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By LRGunner:

From Article:
Police in Diboll are calling it a murder/suicide..........25-year-old Amanda Solis had been married to 29-year-old Aaron Sanches for 11 years......

I see a bunch of 18-19 yo's marrying 14-15 yo's around here.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:51:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 6:53:00 PM EST by Valkyre]

Police found four bullets at the scene.

??
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:56:31 PM EST

No one saw Sunday night's tragedy coming. The situation turned deadly at A-1 Self Storage.

Family members say Solis had a restraining order against her estranged husband.

Well it looks like someone might have saw something coming.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:58:03 PM EST

This is the most tragic of situations!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:59:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By cnorton:

It is sickening how people don't think of the reprocussions of their actions outside themselves.

When you shoot some one you love and then kill your self, usually you aren't thinking.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:59:48 PM EST

From Article:

BigDozer66

I had my suspicions....

Nothing rocks a small community like a murder........my heart goes out to the child, as I can't even comprehend how this will alter his life...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:02:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By olyarms:

Originally Posted By cnorton:

When you shoot some one you love and then kill your self, usually you aren't thinking.

It amazes me when someone will say "How could anybody in their right mind do _________?"

Well you hit the nail on the head! They are not in their right mind and are not thinking.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:28:57 AM EST

From Article:

BigDozer66

Seriously?

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:38:02 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:05:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By FourStringSlinger:

From Article:

BigDozer66

Seriously?

Yes. The LDN paper prints the ages of people who have filed for marriage license's in the Sunday paper.
The closest in this weeks paper was a 23 yo 'man' was marrying a 16 yo 'woman'.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:14:59 PM EST
It has come to the attention of the local Police Dept. that the father had plans to kill the son also.

What in the hell is wrong with some people?

BigDozer66
Top Top