Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2018 11:55:26 PM EDT
I've never used one but they're about to become optional where I'm at. What's the general opinion from you guys that use them?

How do you use a plate carrier with them?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm confused. Why aren't you putting the stuff you'd want on your LBV ON the plate carrier?
edit: I guess that you're referring to the external soft body armor carriers, not plate carriers.
I've transitioned none of my daily equipment to the external soft armor carrier.
I expect to don the hard plate carrier as time permits in a serious event.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I wore a Point Blank Maverick MOLLE outer vest for a while.  It had my soft armor in it and had pockets for rifle plates.  I had my Taser, radio, and cuffs on it.  My pistol and pistol mags stayed on my belt.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm confused. Why aren't you putting the stuff you'd want on your LBV ON the plate carrier?
edit: I guess that you're referring to the external soft body armor carriers, not plate carriers.
I've transitioned none of my daily equipment to the external soft armor carrier.
I expect to don the hard plate carrier as time permits in a serious event.
View Quote
I have no idea what the vest is. I just started with a new agency, and they told me we would be fitted for "load bearing vests" as patrol vests. The Officer I talked to wasn't sure if the make or model, so I don't really know what to expect. I guess when I heard them say "load bearing vests" I kind of assumed it would look like the old static Blackhawk vests that everyone used to have, except that these would obviously also hold soft armor.

I really, really don't want to wear rifle plates around 100% of the time, lol.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wore a Point Blank Maverick MOLLE outer vest for a while.  It had my soft armor in it and had pockets for rifle plates.  I had my Taser, radio, and cuffs on it.  My pistol and pistol mags stayed on my belt.
View Quote
Where on the vest did you put your stuff?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen a couple different types in use, some were:

Just a mesh LBV that had mollie strips all over it, which the officer wore over his normal uniform and vest.

An external vest carrier (more like a tactical carrier) that had pouches on mollie strips, and had plate pockets on the front and rear.

And I saw one cool set up that looked like a uniform shirt type of carrier, but had some pouches sewn into the lower half for mags, and such.

Given the choice I would go with the second option and have the plates handy for bad situations.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:06:43 AM EDT
[#6]
JG Uniform in Chicago does ours. It has four rows of molle along the lower half and two shirt type pockets. I run my mic cord inside the vest. They are awesome and allow you to carry stuff like touriquets easier. My gun and baton are the only things on my belt.

They are expensive and I scotchguard mine to keep it cleaner and protect from uv rays (fading).
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]

It is awesomely good. It has pockets front and back for rifle plates, but you probably would have to let the sides out after putting them in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top