Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2012 12:49:08 PM EDT
My GF and I have been looking at yearly rentals in Key West. Has anyone lived there for any amount of time? What are your thoughts? Costs about 50% more than ATL...
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#1]
too many gheys. and key west is kind of a hole.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
too many gheys. and key west is kind of a hole.

What if they are bi?
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
This native has been to Key West once. I will never return, that ought to tell you something.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont care about gays man... I live in Atlanta plus ill have my girl to protect me. I just wanna be able to go fishing and eat great food for about a year.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I like it there. What will you do for a living?

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This native has been to Key West once. I will never return, that ought to tell you something.

+1.  Tourist trap.

Consider this:  hurricanes, and one road off the key.  What could go wrong?!?

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#7]
It was and "interesting" place to visit once.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I went about 6 months ago and it was seemed pretty awesome. My company lets me do most of my work on the phone and PC. (sales)
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#9]
What happens in key west stays in key west. Ask me how I know
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Not for me, My sister has a really nice crib in Marathon....even then I wouldnt do it.  Everyone in the keys seems fucked up to me.  Except for the fishing guides.  The isolation gets to them, my sister is a fricking weirdo now after living there for 14 years.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's pretty far to travel just to go on the Down Low don't you think?
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.amazon.com/Nickel-Dimed-Not-Getting-America/dp/0805063897

Liberal writer blows the lid off of America's dirty little secret:  Having no education or skills leads to crappy jobs and low standards of living.  Some of the stories come from her working and living in Key West.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it would have been a cool place to live about 60 years ago.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty far to travel just to go on the Down Low don't you think?

Nah its what I brought home
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My GF and I have been looking at yearly rentals in Key West. Has anyone lived there for any amount of time? What are your thoughts? Costs about 50% more than ATL...

I rent in Key West from New Years to early Feb.  Great weather, great restaurants, great coffee, good fishing, we rent on the water at Truman Annex but now we are looking to buy.  Yes it is more expensive but I love it.  Never been there any other time of year so can't speak to that.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Live on on of the other keys, not Key West.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I rent in Key West from New Years to early Feb.  Great weather, great restaurants, great coffee, good fishing, we rent on the water at Truman Annex but now we are looking to buy.  Yes it is more expensive but I love it.  Never been there any other time of year so can't speak to that.

See thats what I am talking about. I noticed tons of food places and bars that looked like they would take months to work through. I love fishing and it looks to have lots of places to go.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#18]
If you drop anything, don't bend over and pick it up!

Grew up in South Florida and spent some time in the Keys diving and fishing.  You'll meet lots of characters, hustlers, gays and even some normal folks.

The consumption of alcohol seems to be way above average of course,  but if you like fishing, diving, boating and partying, it is a great place to spend some time.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I used to go there every week to work.

I'd live there in a heartbeat but diving and fishing are my favorite passtimes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See thats what I am talking about. I noticed tons of food places and bars that looked like they would take months to work through. I love fishing and it looks to have lots of places to go.

As long as you got the coin you won't regret it
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#21]
My sister honeymooned in the Keys and stayed in Key Largo.  She said it was EXTREMELY tourist-trappy.  I'd like to visit to see what it's like, plus I like Hemingway, but not sure if I'd want to live there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Diving and fishing are great pastimes. Ok so I am getting the feeling that KW definitely isnt for everyone but if you like food, fishing, the water, etc. it may be a good place to live for a little while.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Since you like diving and depending on your $ and risk tolerance you can incest in the Mel Fisher and dive the Atocha as an investor like my wife does.  Kind of a cool little thing my wife likes to do and a nifty little way of writing off part of the trip.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I Live in key west currently, I would say don't do it.. It's a nice place to Visit, but not to live.. I live about a block off of Duval st and It gets pretty old..
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Diving and fishing are great pastimes. Ok so I am getting the feeling that KW definitely isnt for everyone but if you like food, fishing, the water, etc. it may be a good place to live for a little while.

You have to work so much to afford your rent you won't get time to do any of it..
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#26]
what do you not like about it????
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I wish I could retire and become a dive master out of Key West.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Same here. If you want great food and things to do there are many other places in FL that are much more impressive. I had a hell of a good time years ago on Sanibel and Captiva Islands, FWIW. Unless you are going to live on a boat and fish all the time Key West sucks. When I was there it was like being stuck with a bunch of tourists and drunk carnies. There are many better choices in FL.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
what do you not like about it????

Homeless people, Losers, scooters, tourists, Drunks, crazy weird people, traffic, one way in, one way out, nowhere to shop for stuff except shitty local places or online, You pretty much have to drive to Miami for everything you want(healthcare, or any real service)... If you want to do it, look for places to rent in stock island or maybe big coppitt, it's cheaper than in-town.. Your going to have an Issue find places to rent becasue more and more people move down here..If you do want to live in key west, expect to pay, I'm stuck in a lease with about 9 months left on it that I pay 2200 a month For two bed one bath house(And thats a great deal for down here), I had a roommate, But he bailed after a month..  Your prolly going to have to park on the street and My jeep has been hit by four scooters so far since I move downtown.. I've lived here for maybe 6 years but i've always lived near the airport away from tourists.. Today I had to work in marathon which is maybe 50 miles from key west, Got done at noon and took me 5 hours to get home becasue traffic.. On the other hand, some people love this place.. There's an arartment building on the island that has Apartments avalible, "Ocean walk apartments", give them a call, would get your foot in key west..
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. If you want great food and things to do there are many other places in FL that are much more impressive. I had a hell of a good time years ago on Sanibel and Captiva Islands, FWIW. Unless you are going to live on a boat and fish all the time Key West sucks. When I was there it was like being stuck with a bunch of tourists and drunk carnies. There are many better choices in FL.

A-Rob tell me more..
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I wish I could retire and become a dive master out of Key West.

I have my dive masters, I interned at a dive shop to get it, I made about 13$ an hour after I got it, you'd have to have pretty beefy savings to afford here..
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Key West is fun. And they give discounts everywhere if you are a local.  Yes there are lots of gays but you get over it. Weather is great and fishing is better.

They are almost on island time if you know what that means.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#33]
So living away from the main drag on key west may be a good idea. I am just thinking about the year round 83' temps and all the fishing I could want.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

So living away from the main drag on key west may be a good idea. I am just thinking about the year round 83' temps and all the fishing I could want.

Don't forget that it does rain a lot there! I have plans in the back of my head to retire

in the keys. Not key west though.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd love to live down there.  Tag.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Living in the keys isn't for everyone.  The people can be...
different.

However, since I live at the beach (Destin area) and I lived over 30 yrs in Atlanta, I'd say go for it.  Once you're there for a month or so, the novelty wears off and it's just like living anywhere else, you just have better stuff to do on weekends.  The fishing is off the fucking hook there.(no pun intended)
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Islamorada area a lot better to live in..
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
different.

However, since I live at the beach (Destin area) and I lived over 30 yrs in Atlanta, I'd say go for it.  Once you're there for a month or so, the novelty wears off and it's just like living anywhere else, you just have better stuff to do on weekends.  The fishing is off the fucking hook there.(no pun intended)

See I feel like I can put up with weirdos. Thats what I am looking for is awesome stuff to do on the weekends or after work during the week. Right now I am just thinking about living there for a year or something like that.

I dont really see any way to raise a family there. Do they have schools for kids?? I didnt see any.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
different.

How is living in Destin/Pcola?
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#40]
There are schools all over.

What would you do for a living? That is a big question. Most jobs down there

are service jobs and don't pay well.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Move to Costa Rica.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#42]
summer in south Florida is miserable heat wise

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A-Rob tell me more..

I'd suggest taking a long weekend and driving down the Gulf Coast after Googling some choice spots to check out. Or on the Atlantic side you have cheap places to live, like St. Augustine, which is more my speed. It's not =exotic, but rent is cheap compared to big places and it has a laid back atmosphere and some good eating. Like I said, Captiva was years ago but it had excellent beaches and didn't have the same level of bullshit as the Keys. I have friends that spend a lot of time on the water out of Clearwater, and they love it, because they have so many options. The thing is, you can live relatively cheaply on the Gulf, for example, and you are within an hour's drive  of many other interesting areas. In Key West, an hour will get you on a bridge. You also have the option to get inland quickly when the weather goes sideways.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Friend of ours just moved up to Ft Lauderdale from Key West.1bedroom apt was over a thousand a month!Marathon or Big Pine should be cheaper and is only 35 minutes from Key West.Would be a great place to live if you can swing it!
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I dont care about gays man... I live in Atlanta plus ill have my girl to protect me. I just wanna be able to go fishing and eat great food for about a year.

You can do that in most of Florida, at much lower costs. Key West has three problems.

First is noise. Key West is a party town. That's the economy.

Second is hurricanes. There's only one way out. The highest point in Key West is 18' above sea level. If there is a serious storm surge, you'll be underwater.

Third, the lack of ranges and gun stores in the Keys is noteworthy. I think you'd have to go to Key Largo to shoot. That's 100 miles each way.

ETA - current temp (7:00 pm) at Key West is 84 and 71% humidity. It can get pretty uncomfortable in south Florida in the summer. I don't have a huge problem with it, but it's not 83 degrees all year long.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I would just run my company from there instead of Atlanta. I still have some operations stuff to figure out but it seems doable.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can do that in most of Florida, at much lower costs. Key West has three problems.

First is noise. Key West is a party town. That's the economy.

Second is hurricanes. There's only one way out. The highest point in Key West is 18' above sea level. If there is a serious storm surge, you'll be underwater.

Third, the lack of ranges and gun stores in the Keys is noteworthy. I think you'd have to go to Key Largo to shoot. That's 100 miles each way.

What?!?! no place to shoot.... humm that actually bothers me more than having to leave several times per year for hurricanes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I can honestly say that I wouldn't live anywhere else than here in the Panhandle.  Our fishing is ridiculously good.  (only about 25 miles from Destin to 600' of water).  We have enough "real" places to shop/services etc.

I'm less than 2 hrs from Tallahassee and Mobile, 5 from ATL for medical services.  We actually has some great physicians here.  The nice thing about being in the middle of 3 large Military installations is that we do have access to more of the big city amenities.

My kids attend an A+ school.  Niceville HS over in Okaloosa county is at the tops in FL every year educationally and athletically.

Since our housing market sucks, real estate is cheap.  

Groceries, etc are a little pricy (esp during the summer) but I just remind myself that I'll pay a little more for milk since I can walk to the beach in under 5 minutes.

Every time I go to Atlanta to visit family I thank God for where I live when I see the smog layer.

Eta: OP, if ya make it down here shoot me a msg.  If the WX is nice I'll take ya fishing.  That'll sell ya!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I Live in key west currently, I would say don't do it.. It's a nice place to Visit, but not to live.. I live about a block off of Duval st and It gets pretty old..

I did too in 99' and '00 I was doing the jetski rental thing on Front street at Ocean Key resort...will never do that again. It gets old and hot real quick. Duval crawl was never for me or those type of people.

The place is a sewer and there's nothing like a Rooster crowing @ 6:00 a.m. to wake you up in the morning.Crazy place...
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

A year would be about what I could do on Key West itself.We have had friends live in KW,Stock Island,Marathon,and Key Largo.If you love to fish,dive,boat or sail its paradise.Between Marathon and Marquesas there is some of the best saltwater fishing around.Doesnt matter if you have a skiff or a Rybovitch there is great fishing to be had!Big Pine you can walk in the water and get Stone crabs and lobsters without going more than 5 ft deep!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top