Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/3/2006 3:16:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:19:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn I want one!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:19:42 AM EDT
[#2]
LIVERMORE - Larger and more powerful weapons will soon guard the plutonium stash at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

The lab on Thursday unveiled a new gun that can fire 3,000 rounds per minute. The Gatling gun, which has a cluster of barrels that rotate around an axis, is as effective as up to a dozen soldiers armed with rifles, lab officials said.

The goal is to protect the lab's plutonium, which is used for research into weapons components and warheads.

"Like a nuclear weapon, it (the gun) will serve us best by never being used but by deterring any attack," said David Schwoegler, a lab spokesman. "We want people to have some serious second thoughts before targeting Livermore."

The weapon, made by a manufacturer in Arizona, has been in development for more than a year, Schwoegler said. Lab officials wanted the gun because of a broad desire for heightened security, not any specific threat, he said.

Several of the weapons will ultimately be purchased and fixed in strategic locations or mounted onto vehicles, Schwoegler said. He would not be more specific, nor would he say exactly how many guns the lab will acquire.

Each gun will cost anywhere from $50,000 to $75,000, he said.

The lab has been criticized in the past for a lack of automatic weapons in its armory, Schwoegler said. Until now, officials have relied on single-fire shoulder weapons.

Lawrence Livermore got permission last year to double its plutonium storage from 1,540 pounds to 3,080 pounds. Plutonium is a radioactive material that can be deadly if exposed to humans.

The lab has not decided when to officially deploy the gun, Schwoegler said.

KICK ASS!!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:21:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe that those are made by the same Dillon that makes reloading equipment.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:22:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:23:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like they didnt get any ammo for it.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:53:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Damn I want one!

Anybody who doesn't want one is WRONG.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:54:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn I want one!

I dont want one.....
I want a bakers dozen...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:59:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
img208.imageshack.us/img208/4540/bilde1vo.jpg
img208.imageshack.us/img208/7411/rodfarva9jj.jpg

That seals it, the minigun MUST be mounted atop a vehicle with callsign 'Car Ramrod'

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:59:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn I want one!

I dont want one.....
I want a bakers dozen...

You must share, limit of one per customer.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:03:09 AM EDT
[#13]
what a bunch of wannabe poser mall ninjas.  standing around at a photo shoot like they are out on patrol!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:03:47 AM EDT
[#14]
The guy on the right looks like he is thinking "Someday, I will shoot that son of a bitch".

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:03:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder what the qualification course is like.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I wonder what the qualification course is like.

Mike

Depends on if you are shooting the Convoy Ambush Live Fire course or the Helo Gunnery course
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:12:19 AM EDT
[#17]
From the article:

"Several of the weapons will ultimately be purchased and fixed in strategic locations or mounted onto vehicles, Schwoegler said. He would not be more specific, nor would he say exactly how many guns the lab will acquire.

Each gun will cost anywhere from $50,000 to $75,000, he said."

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:21:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The guy on the right looks like he is thinking "Someday, I will shoot that son of a bitch".

That's exactly what I was thinking.

That dued has "I'm going to be blasting mf'ers with that thing some day. woo hoo!"
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:21:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Freakin' cool!

Good to see trigger fingers out to the side.

And yeah, you know those guys are drooling!

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:22:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:28:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Bomber
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:30:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn I want one!

i want one converted to .22. otherwise cant afford the ammo..
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:33:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
what a bunch of wannabe poser mall ninjas.  standing around at a photo shoot like they are out on patrol!

I'm thinking to myself....God, I want to be one of those mall ninjas. Yeah...the ones with the cool weapons.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:35:07 AM EDT
[#24]
cool and all, but what the hell could they need it for, even in bunkers, that they couldnt do with the 10 .50 cals they could get for that price...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:52:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
cool and all, but what the hell could they need it for, even in bunkers, that they couldnt do with the 10 .50 cals they could get for that price...

Fire suppression.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:54:56 AM EDT
[#26]
serious wood
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:55:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fire suppression.

.....and basically vaporizing the cabin of an oncoming vehicle (w/ a bomb).....if the guns were manned/locked and loaded when they need them.....

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:56:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fire suppression.

Nothing makes a group of bad guys duck like 3,000 rounds per minute of 7.62x51mm magik....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:56:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fire suppression.

.....and basically vaporizing the cabin of an oncoming vehicle (w/ a bomb).....if the guns were manned/locked and loaded when they need them.....

Exactly.

That weapon will seriously f*ck up any vehicle short of an APC that tries to roll up and steal nukes.

By the way, the guys in the picture there are most likely Wackenhutt employees.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:00:50 AM EDT
[#30]
MMMMMMMinigun! If you havent seen one of these run in person, you gotta. If you have, then you probably giggled like a demented 12 year old on finding a box of dynamite....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:05:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Where's jack bauer when you need him?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:10:21 AM EDT
[#32]

...single-fire shoulder weapons.

Where does the media think up this odd terminology?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:14:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Each gun will cost anywhere from $50,000 to $75,000

Quoted:

You're funny.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:21:06 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted: The guy on the right looks like he is thinking "Someday, I will shoot that son of a bitch".

Take a look at the picture again. I think the guards are feeling inadequate.

Can you get one of those with smoothbore barrels? It will saturate a larger target area.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:26:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Works for me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:31:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Curious - am assuming that this will be manually aimed - or are they putting in an anti missle system (CIWS)...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:32:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Curious - am assuming that this will be manually aimed - or are they putting in an anti missle system (CIWS)...

Spade Grip=Operator aimed
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:33:25 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
MMMMMMMinigun! If you havent seen one of these run in person, you gotta. If you have, then you probably giggled like a demented 12 year old on finding a box of dynamite....

The first time I saw a minigun in person, I got wood.

I am not kidding.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:33:49 AM EDT
[#39]
The article next weekend will publish exact response methods, team member names, a map of the complex, and gate codes.

Good god, let's let some would-be terrorist be surprised.  Instead they know that there's only one minigun to deal with.  Our only hope is the Lab only revealed one of many.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:34:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

They appear to be operator aimed weapons by the grips in the back.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:34:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

More likely they're there in case the media are actually terrorists, which wouldn't be a shocker.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn I want one!

Well.....

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:36:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The first time I saw a minigun in person, I got wood.

I am not kidding.

When you have 10-12 to perform maintenance on each day the "Fun" of them tends to wear off real quick.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
When you have 10-12 to perform maintenance on each day the "Fun" of them tends to wear off real quick.

Of course. Taking care of any piece of equipment is no fun.

I liken it to marriage: Really fun for a little while....Until you have to do the maintenence.

Still, buzzing off a few hundred rounds from one of them at a reactive target is enough to give any red-blooded male a full on war-gasm.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:40:01 AM EDT
[#46]
They will never be needed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:41:17 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I agree, more of a deterent thing (look at the publicity) and get some folks off their back about not being properly equipped.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:41:20 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted: They appear to be operator aimed weapons by the grips in the back.
Nerds gone wild! Die terrrorist scum!

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:43:30 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Maybe not...  but I volunteer to exercise them on a regular basis.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:45:28 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Probably not.

Terrorists could very well target nuclear weapons facilities, but those facilities are among the most secure places on earth. Attacking them would require a massive effort that the terrororists probably could never muster in the first place, not to mention the effort would most likely fail.

The terrorists would get more bang for their buck (pun intended) by approaching other softer targets.

Sort of the same principle you see in Iraq. Rarely do you see terrorists attacking a group of M1 tanks head on.....There is a reason for that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top