Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2001 7:18:27 AM EDT
I cannot believe all the negative talk and crapola flying around the boards. Those poor guys and gals who have to wait a few seconds. Hey wake up and smell the trees in the forest. All you new type gun people slow down and enjoy life a bit. So what that you cannot get somewhere in a second or less. Is this really what Our Industry is all about. Do you also run through Gun Shows at the same pace. The grave yards are full of people who wanted to enjoy life and just forgot how to. Be grateful and thankful that your feet hit the floor everyday.

We have real problems facing our Industry and Future-We have the anti's climbing up our assholes everyday, we have the UN this week wanting to take all our Guns away, we have Gun Companies that are more anti than pro, and we have parents and establishments that aren't allowing the kids of this generation an opportunity to learn about guns - and Your concerned about your HIGH POWER MACHINES- Don't you see anything wrong with that picture?
Bob Lippman
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 7:22:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm with ol' Bob here.

here's a novel thought -

In that "infinitely long" 10 seconds one whiner mentioned he had to wait for the page to load...

Why don't you start writing a thoughtful, logical, positive LETTER TO THE EDITOR, and do something to preserve our firearms rights????

Nah, whining is easier and more fun....

[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 7/5/2001 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey wake up and smell the trees in the forest.
View Quote

My new favorite quote!!!

Link Posted: 7/5/2001 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I disagree, a web site should be designed for all browsers, and should not cause a hang-up while downloading data.  This is a problem that can be fixed, and something GB wants feedback over.

Is this right, I tried the ad and it's a bad lin k?
[url]http://www.lippman-enterprises.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree.  It is almost as bad as people who whine about people whinning.  [;)]

Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some people can't help being tied to a modem or WebTV to browse, and those are the guys I want to help more than the ones who simply choose an outdated Netscape browser because they hate Microsoft! Over 85% of the surfing world uses IE, so they are the priority. Netscape comes next as its a stand alone browser, the UNIX choice, and the AOL default. BUT having to fend off issues with obscure browsers is not the best use of my time and thus one of the last things I plan on dealing with!

-- GB
View Quote

[img]http://www.nerp.net/~jgeiser/images/winamp.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Bob, Im talking about minutes for a page to load not 10 extra seconds. If it was only a few extra seconds I wouldn't complain but I don't buy a nice computer and get DSL so I can sit here and look at a blank screen for half the time Im on the computer. There is definately some type of problem with the new upgrade that apparently doesn't affect everybody. How would you like it if you had a car that would only go 15 miles an hour? Would you just take it like it was and take life slow or would you tell someone that you are having a problem and try and get the situation fixed?

Why are you complaining anyways? If you don't want to look at messages from people having problems with the new upgrade to the site then why are you reading them?

Michael
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't believe someone is whining about someone else's whining.  That really ticks me off.  I'm going to start a thread about it.  

[/b]DISCLAIMER:[/b]  The above is intended for entertainment purposes only.  Any resemblance to whiners, living or dead, is coincidental.

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Now you're whining anout somebody whining about the original whinning.  

So what does that make me?

Norm
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#10]
How do you spell wining anyway?
Whining
whinning
wining
wineing
quining
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Point taken.  I started one of the threads and have mod'ed the language to tone it down.  Sorry if I sounded harsh, Goatboy.

I didn't mean to slam the hard working folks that bring us this board, but I did want to point out that this is so slow now I will sharply curtail my visits here, and I'm sure others will as well.

I never go to GlockTalk anymore, because their board is apparantly graphical, and just scrolling down a page is so quirky and jerky I can't take it.

If I can't get some speed back, it won't be worth getting a membership here.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I do want feedback and I will help where and when I can to make the site as friendly to browsers as possible.

At times things are limited due to the way browsers act and how they render information. There is an eventual tradeoff on your behalf. Do you go with the better browser even though you hate the industry giant? Or do you go with the lesser known or lesser quality browser and deal with a bit of slowness?

Some people can't help being tied to a modem or WebTV to browse, and those are the guys I want to help more than the ones who simply choose an outdated Netscape browser because they hate Microsoft! Over 85% of the surfing world uses IE, so they are the priority. Netscape comes next as its a stand alone browser, the UNIX choice, and the AOL default. BUT having to fend off issues with obscure browsers is not the best use of my time and thus one of the last things I plan on dealing with!

-- GB
View Quote

Personally, being a geek that works with a lot of internet connectivity issues, I believe that this site is doing a rather good job of rendering its pages.

Before going off and believing the issues are with the website that you are accessing, ensure that you have a clean connection to the site (no proxies, firewalls or even the 'net acceleration' programs).  In my experience, all of these items can cause issues with a website.  Additionally, for those people who use personal dialup/DSL or even cable modems, quite a number of providers do run transparent caching proxies that can cause increased latency with some websites.

Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, I'm not a computer geek.  I know a few things, but it's all self taught.  I do my best to keep my system up to speed.  Clearing caches, optimizing settings, defrags, memory upgrades, etc...

A few things I do know:

1.  AR15.com was fast.  Now it's not.  This corresponds with the latest "upgrade"

2.  all the other boards I frequent were fast, and still are (exceptions include GlockTalk and Maryland AR15 Shooters site (MSN), where I'm a co-manager, both are slow)

3.  if I noticed a big slow down, I'll bet others did also

4.  if a board is slow and cumbersome, traffic will fall off
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#14]
hell, im on a tweaked 33.6 dial-up, through AOL noless, i didnt notice a slow down at all. Must be all of your systems.... [:D]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Lippman Enterprises:
I cannot believe all the negative talk and crapola flying around the boards. Those poor guys and gals who have to wait a few seconds. Hey wake up and smell the trees in the forest. All you new type gun people slow down and enjoy life a bit. So what that you cannot get somewhere in a second or less. Is this really what Our Industry is all about. Do you also run through Gun Shows at the same pace. The grave yards are full of people who wanted to enjoy life and just forgot how to. Be grateful and thankful that your feet hit the floor everyday.

We have real problems facing our Industry and Future-We have the anti's climbing up our assholes everyday, we have the UN this week wanting to take all our Guns away, we have Gun Companies that are more anti than pro, and we have parents and establishments that aren't allowing the kids of this generation an opportunity to learn about guns - and Your concerned about your HIGH POWER MACHINES- Don't you see anything wrong with that picture?
Bob Lippman
View Quote

Well i could whine but my wife points this out to me why should i whine about gun bans its going to happen and there's not a one thing i could do about it what so ever so were heading for a down fall what can you do about it nothing! nothing at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top