Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2002 1:14:59 AM EDT
She is probably all in favor of gun control and would use the profits to further such legislation.

-----
ABC Primetime Thursday:

Dianne Sawyer interviews Lisa Beamer, the widow of Todd Beamer, the hero on flight 93 who coined the phrase "Let's Roll", just seconds before standing up to the hijackers of the flight, forcing them to crash instead of harming more people.

Lisa Beamer makes the statement that she is working to copyright the phrase "let's roll", so that others can not profit from it.

[b]Mrs. Beamer also comments "There are certain groups out there that we don't want associated with it, like MILITIAS........".[/b]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 1:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
How can you copyright a phrase that has been used way before her husband used it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 3:59:49 AM EDT
[#2]
she's a LIBERAL........!!!

whaddya expect ???
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:02:14 AM EDT
[#3]
She has a right to here opinion.  And maybe here opinion has been formed by many of those in the militia movement, you know the ones that always make the news, that most of you wouldn't want associate with either.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:01:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest that if anyone coined "Let's roll" it was President Bush.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:14:40 AM EDT
[#5]
She lives in NJ, but I'm not convinced she's a liberal for the simple fact she's having her book published by a Christian publishing company. Furthermore, she has links to Christian organizations on her foundation web page. This doesn't mean she isn't liberal, simply that in my experience people with strong beliefs in that regard tend to be conservative. Anyway, I could be wrong, but perhaps she's simply misinformed? Furthermore, she quotes Thomas Paine: "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country, but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman..." That doesn't sound very liberal to me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:23:58 AM EDT
[#6]
From what I've seen of the lawyers on TV on this subject she is going to have a very hard time copyrighting this phrase for the simple fact that it is so common.  As for whether or not she's a liberal, I would'nt be surprised if it was confirmed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Just remember, it was her husband who's the hero in this family!

And the only reason Tod Beamer used that phrase on Septemeber 11, is because he had heard it somewhere before.

I mean, it's a pretty common phrase in the Hun household when going to and from the malls!

Eric The(ICallItThe'MallCrawl'IsThatCoryrightable?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:57:30 AM EDT
[#8]
[b]Let's roll[/b] was in existence way before Sept. 11...  good luck to her!

And yes, it was her husband who was the hero, not her.  She wasn't there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Keep an eye on how this woman and [url=http://www.beamerfoundation.org/mission.php][b]her organization[/b][/url] is used by the media.  She may end up becoming (yikes!) another Sarah Brady (liberal wife of a brave husband caught in a tragedy) or like those parents of Columbine students who started pressing Congress for more gun control.

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#10]
You guys are awful quick to accuse. My guess is she's a relatively decent-minded person caught up in something a fair bit beyond her head. She probably just thinks of "militias" in common media-spawned terms -- after all, even most pro second amendment folks, aren't activists who devote significant amounts of time to the issue. Give the girl a chance.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You guys are awful quick to accuse. My guess is she's a relatively decent-minded person caught up in something a fair bit beyond her head. She probably just thinks of "militias" in common media-spawned terms -- after all, even most pro second amendment folks, aren't activists who devote significant amounts of time to the issue. Give the girl a chance.
View Quote

I have nothing against her and I agree with you that she's probably a sheep in a wolf pack with all the media attention.

I just think the media slimeballs will USE her if they smell any whiff liberalism from her.

Her organization is clearly Christian-based and not a threat in any sense.  Let's be sure the media don't change that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm w/ one of the poster's... How can you copyright something like that ?

I thought the motto of one of the Army's Armor divisons was "Let's Roll" and they were around long before...
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#14]
To qualify for copyright protection, the property would have to be [b]an original work of authorship fixed in a tangible medium of expression[/b].  That means, something slightly more original than a phone book but that is also fixed; which means for example: on tape, in a book/manuscript, photograph, or even on a computer hard drive or memory.  A catch phrase, simply uttered aloud is not capable of  copyright protection.  Even had the phrase been part of a work fixed in a tangible medium, it likely fails the originality test.  Many people have used the phrase and it likely would be considered to be in the public domain.  The phrase could be used as part of a larger work that in of itself is capable of protection but even then such a short part of that work, already of dubious originality, would not be capable of protection itself.

Here's an interesting twist though.  If a recording device had picked up her husband saying "Let's Roll", then the owner of that tape would be afforded copyright protection for the content on THAT tape.  Not the words themselves, but the content captured on the tape.  In other words, that person would have the ability to use, make, sell, license etc. the tape and its contents for his own purposes to the exclusion of others!  That's cool.  

As a phrase, it could come to be so associated with a [i]product or service[/i] that it is capable of signaling its origin, but that protection  would fall under common law trademark rights or under the general unfair competition provisions of the Lanham Act (Federal Trademark Law).  Since this is just a catchy phrase not used to signal the origin of a product or service, no dice here either.  

This is just another example of the general public not really understanding protection of intellectual property rights and spouting off about protecting something that cannot be protected.

Edited to wire my non-spelling head together with my ass.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I want on the copyright gravy train. I heard FOX use the term "Shmenron" referencing Enron the other day and I made up that stupid word. I created "Shmenron" to reflect my belief that blaming Enron corruption on the GOP was as much nonsense as is the word "Shmenron".

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=86178

Since I invented the word here it is only fair that Goatboy is in for a percentage to be negotiated later. I suggest that NRA and GOA can rent "Shmenron" at discount rates but CNN, CBS, NBC, and ABC must pay a premium with a minimum paid in advance!
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Food for thought:

Wouldn't [b]Neil Young[/b] now have the copyright to "[url=http://www.repriserec.com/neilyoung/neil.html][b]Let's Roll[/b][/url]" since it's the title to his song now?

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#17]
THIS MAKES ME SICK.I'VE FLOWN ALL OVER THE WORLD AND DAM MY SOUL TO HELL BEFORE ANYONE MAKES ME COWER IN THE BACK OF THE PLANE AND BE FORCED TO MAKE A SAYING LIKE LETS ROLL.THE WORD IS AHH TACK!!!!! CRUSH SOME HEADS FROM THE FIRST INSTANT AND WOULD FIGHT ANYONE IN A TWO FOOT PATHWAY.NOT TO TAKE AWAY FROM THEIR COURAGE BUT HE DIDN"T ACT ALONE AND IT TOOK A GROUP DECISSION TO ACT.I HAVE CONTEMPLATED THAT EVER SINCE I HAVE BEEN FLYING.I CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT YOU MUST ACT INSTANTLY BEFORE THEY GET THEIR PLAN IN PLAY.EVEN AT THE COST OF YOUR OWN LIFE.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
She lives in NJ, but I'm not convinced she's a liberal for the simple fact she's having her book published by a Christian publishing company. Furthermore, she has links to Christian organizations on her foundation web page. This doesn't mean she isn't liberal, simply that in my experience people with strong beliefs in that regard tend to be conservative. Anyway, I could be wrong, but perhaps she's simply misinformed? Furthermore, she quotes Thomas Paine: "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country, but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman..." That doesn't sound very liberal to me.
View Quote

Huh?? Do you have any idea how many "christians" voted for Bill & Hillary Clinton? TWICE? Any idea how many "christians" have supported and voted for anti-gun (read anti-Constitution) candidates? "By their FRUIT ye shall know them"........BTW, the "sunshine patriots" are those who streamed out of the woodwork because of 9/11!! Where the hell are they (and Lisa Beamer) when their own govt is shooting and bbqing it's own citizens??
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Food for thought:

Wouldn't [b]Neil Young[/b] now have the copyright to "[url=http://www.repriserec.com/neilyoung/neil.html][b]Let's Roll[/b][/url]" since it's the title to his song now?

View Quote

No.  Titles to works get no copyright protection.  That's why you can have any number of songs, books, movies (although the film industry usually voluntarily agrees not to release a film with the same title within the same six months) or any other work with the same title.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh?? Do you have any idea how many "christians" voted for Bill & Hillary Clinton? TWICE? Any idea how many "christians" have supported and voted for anti-gun (read anti-Constitution) candidates? "By their FRUIT ye shall know them"........BTW, the "sunshine patriots" are those who streamed out of the woodwork because of 9/11!! Where the hell are they (and Lisa Beamer) when their own govt is shooting and bbqing it's own citizens??
View Quote

As stated above, in [b]my experiece[/b] people with strong religious beliefs tend to be conservative. Perhaps your experience is different. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 5:05:10 AM EDT
[#22]

I swear...  these people that think they coined certain phrases are funny to me...

I know someone who honestly thinks he coined the phrase "F*cking F*ck" [rolleyes]

realist out
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020224/capt.1014511907.attacks_lets_roll_fad102.jpg[/img]
The U.S. Air Force is honoring the victims of Sept. 11 with a new aircraft logo bearing Todd Beamer's phrase "Lets Roll", as seen Saturday, Feb. 23, 2001. Four F-15s at the 33rd Fighter Wing at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. now bear the logo near the cockpit. (AP Photo/U.S. Air Force)

Let's roll out the saccarin sweet jingoism that's meant to appeal to the great non-thinkers of this country.
View Quote

Seems to me, they are honoring the REAL heroes of 9/11, NOT the "victims"....
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#25]
She sounds like my sh*t-for-brains soon-to-be ex-wife.

She told me that I could cheat on her, mentally and emotionally abuse her, even smack her around and she could forgive me for it.

The only thing that she would divorce me over is if I went and joined a "militia"... that would be the unforgivable sin (her words).

I laughed at her, and told her that we should just go ahead and split up now, since we obviously have different value systems. She moved out shortly afterward. Probably didn't help that I called her a fu<|
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#26]
The f'cking news media is a whore! Those folks are trying to confuse the general public about pro-gun Americans, the militias, and terrorists, they are not the same. The liberal anti-gun news media has no shame at all. They are trying to further their agenda of no privately owned firearms, except of course for police and military.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I swear...  these people that think they coined certain phrases are funny to me...

I know someone who honestly thinks he coined the phrase "F*cking F*ck" [rolleyes]

realist out
View Quote

Heyyyyy. I represent that remark! "Shmenron":
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=86178[/url]

HeeHaw, malaprops and live url links!
All kidding aside I dug through the ar15.com help and now can make the url links live. OOOHOO

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:58:54 AM EDT
[#28]
i saw her lawyer on the O'Reilly show. he acknowledged that the phrase was in general use before 9/11 but they want to stop profiteering. "lets roll" emblazoned across an american flag at a street corner news stand is pretty blatent. and as far as the militia comment. well we've all been to gunshows and i for one wouldnt want ot be associated with the camo-clad, mis-matched insignia, "kill em all let god sort em" t-shirt wearing crowd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top