Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2015 11:39:58 AM EDT
I've got a very old Toshiba 445-series laptop. Pentium 133. Would it be worthwhile, or even possible, to put Linux on it?

I know nothing of Linux but thought it might be a interesting project.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be very doable, especially if you aren't interested in XWindows (GUI) but just the command line.  I wouldn't recommend compiling much on a 133mhz CPU (so stay away from Gentoo or LFS) but a small binary-disto would be a good fit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You could try "Puppy".  That's a pretty light distro.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#3]
How much ram you have will be a bigger issue than the processor speed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah..that's is what I think I've learned since last night.

The laptop is an old, 1997, Satellite 445. I think the RAM is maybe 1.5 GB. I might be off by a factor of 100.

I was able to get the Puppy(?) version of UNIX up one time but then nothing. As I left it last night the laptop would not go past memory check so I think I'm working against other issues.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd try DSL (damn small linux) instead of Puppy.  I have a Toshiba Tecra Pentium 166mhz sitting around but it has a bad cd drive, so I can't do any parallel testing with you.  I have read on the DSL wiki someone has got it working on  a Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDT (P1 133MHz, 64MB RAM, 6GB HDD)

ETA:  you might need to make a boot floppy, since some of the early bios at the time did not support CD or usb boot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The laptop is an old, 1997, Satellite 445. I think the RAM is maybe 1.5 GB. I might be off by a factor of 100.
View Quote

Circa Windows 95?  That would be a screamer with 16 MB of RAM.
ETA And to think that these days FireFox will gladly get up to 1.5 GB + memory use.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA And to think that these days FireFox will gladly get up to 1.5 GB + memory use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Tecra has Win98 and firefox running on it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, version 3?  4?  I think Win98 support dropped with v7 or 8.

It's up to 34 now :-)
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it's vintage.  I verified my cd drive no longer works, however I think I can use a pcmcia to CF adapter to copy DSL's startup folder to the hard drive, then create the boot floppy off of DSL's wiki to start the install process.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Memory is at 144MB.
Drive is 1.2GB.

I'll play more tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#11]

It finally booted all the way to Windows....98! I guess my brother must have installed it; I don't recall doing that.. I'm surprised the old beast works.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:28:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I could use that thing for some radio work...the prices people want for some of the mid 90's generation of laptops is insane these days.

I use the Arch install/live CD to boot a P3 Dell I have so I can transfer files between it and a USB thumb drive. Works well with my CF-28 Toughbook as well...but I haven't quite figured out how to get the screen to display properly on that one yet (funny, the Toughbook has a 32GB SSD in it) and is currently running just FreeDOS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top