Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/4/2014 6:38:24 PM EST
I have an old laptop that I'm trying to find a use for.

It has Win2K on it but I was thinking of installing a version of Linux.

Here are the specs for the laptop.

Basic specs are:

800 Mhz CPU

384 Megs of RAM.

I have tried running linux on it before a long time ago and had problems getting the Belkin PMCIA Wireless card to work.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:39:54 PM EST
Debian
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:40:33 PM EST
Burn a live distro and try it out. If it works, fo to a full install.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:47:11 PM EST
I've got a really old Toshiba Satellite I run Unity on and VB Window's 7. I use it every now and then for the hell of it.

Old Intel Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz × 2 with video ran by an Intel 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2 using 2 gigs of RAM. At times it struggles but on Unity, it's pretty smooth. You may be pushing it with that laptop of yours...
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:56:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2014 6:58:28 PM EST by 9mmmac]
The live distro cd can be a bit laggy, but it is very useful for getting a good idea of how things look and what is hidden where. For an old laptop, I would suggest puppy Linux, a very lightweight distro. If you want to dump some money in the hardware, upgrade the drive (if you can) to a 5400 or 7200 rpm unit and maybe add a faster class of memory. Also bump up to a half gig, maybe a full gig of memory. Probably won't ever use it all, but it is cheap.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:00:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:03:38 PM EST
Lubuntu has worked well on my netbooks. If you want a little more functionality, try Xubuntu.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:07:13 PM EST
I've been putting xubuntu on older machines with good results lately
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:07:56 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 9mmmac:
The live distro cd can be a bit laggy, but it is very useful for getting a good idea of how things look and what is hidden where. For an old laptop, I would suggest puppy Linux, a very lightweight distro. If you want to dump some money in the hardware, upgrade the drive (if you can) to a 5400 or 7200 rpm unit and maybe add a faster class of memory. Also bump up to a half gig, maybe a full gig of memory. Probably won't ever use it all, but it is cheap.
View Quote

I have an old Toshiba with a 300 Mhz Pentium II and 196 megs of memory that ran circa-2010 Puppy Linux fairly well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:11:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By johnnieblue:

I have an old Toshiba with a 300 Mhz Pentium II and 196 megs of memory that ran circa-2010 Puppy Linux fairly well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By johnnieblue:
Originally Posted By 9mmmac:

Holy crap! That's an old machine! I bet it played Oregon Trail really we'll though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:12:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By cavedog:
Lubuntu has worked well on my netbooks. If you want a little more functionality, try Xubuntu.
View Quote

I agree. It's been a while since I've messed with the *nix scene, but I do have a thumbdrive loaded with Ubuntu's netbook image for my netbook. I really need to sit down and do a proper dual boot on that device.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:22:29 PM EST
I've had good luck with Ubuntu. Also, several others have suggested light versions of it. I haven't used Lunbuntu or Xunbuntu but that could be a good bet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:23:42 PM EST
Wary Puppy is tailored for older hardware.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:25:08 PM EST
Been wanting to do this to an old XP machine that I have in the garage.

Just for surfing the interwebs, cataloging build pictures of projects and such. Pretty light duty stuff.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:36:30 PM EST
Another vote for Puppy, itwas designed for out-of-date equipment.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:39:49 PM EST
I wiped an old laptop and threw Linux Mint onto it. It runs surprisingly fast, considering the laptop is maybe 7-8 years old, and was slow as hell before the swap.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:40:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By bigkahunasix:
Another vote for Puppy, itwas designed for out-of-date equipment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:56:38 PM EST
I use Ubuntu, I would never go back to windows.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:57:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:
I wiped an old laptop and threw Linux Mint onto it. It runs surprisingly fast, considering the laptop is maybe 7-8 years old, and was slow as hell before the swap.
View Quote
Really shows you how bloated Windows is/can be....
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:59:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By MudBug:
I have an old laptop that I'm trying to find a use for.

Any ideas?
View Quote

Just kidding -- Recycle it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:04:54 PM EST
distrowatch.com

I'd put one called AntiX on there, its Debian tailored for older systems.

Esp if you are going to make it a 'server' type system, AntiX has a console only setup thats fast, and you can use a remote login to maintain it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:10:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By ponykilr:
I use Ubuntu, I would never go back to windows.
View Quote
this

i went w/ it after widoz crashed. used a usb version to get what I could from the hd, then loaded unbuntu.

probably 3-4 times faster to load, and all the programs work better.

fuck windoz

06 vizio
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:12:07 PM EST
LXLE is the flavor you are seeking.

I have been running it in some VMs on a desktop and it is very nice. Hell, I have an old POS laptop with Winders 7 and running it in VMware on top of 7. Still works well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:15:15 PM EST
I have a net book with XP on it. I installed Ubuntu and that works like a charm. I did a duel install so I can still get to my kindle. Kindle does not work with Ubuntu that I know of
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:23:31 PM EST
Originally Posted By cwm1150:
I have a net book with XP on it. I installed Ubuntu and that works like a charm. I did a duel install so I can still get to my kindle. Kindle does not work with Ubuntu that I know of
View Quote

Tried Calibre or Kindle in Wine?

I am working on my next build now, my first OS install is going to be a hypervisor.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:29:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By Undefined:
Debian
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:40:32 PM EST
That's what I did with an old Dell B130 laptop I have.
I installed Ubuntu 12.4 (it wont run 14).
Yeah, it works but it's still slow as hell.
Actually I re-installed XP with none of the crap stuff and dual booted XP/Ubuntu and it's really a toss up.
I usually end up booting XP because it works better in its stripped down mode.
Top Top