Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/15/2010 7:01:55 PM EDT
I have a Linksys G router. I reformatted and put windows 7 on my PC, from Vista. Now I can't get wireless. I was able to reset, and got instructions from here:

http://www.tech-faq.com/linksys-router-password.html

I went to the IP link and my settings came up. I reset my password, but I can't connect to the internet. It says to push the button on the router on the front, then click a button on the page to sync them. They never connected.

Where do I go from here?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:06:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 7:07:46 PM EDT by ZekeMenuar]
If your computer is a laptop, check for a button on the front that turns on the laptop's internal network adapter.

If you did a fresh install, do you need to get drivers for the Ethernet and/or wireless card?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:06:04 PM EDT
I've never had the push button crap work. Failed miserably on my wi-fi printer and every other device I've tried to connect.

Sounds like you'll have to go into the wireless settings for the computer itself and manually setup the network: ssid, security passphrases, etc.

I assume you meant that you can hit the admin link for router and see all of that stuff? Is the wireless icon (just to the right of the button in the image you posted) on?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:14:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JaxShooter:
I've never had the push button crap work. Failed miserably on my wi-fi printer and every other device I've tried to connect.

Sounds like you'll have to go into the wireless settings for the computer itself and manually setup the network: ssid, security passphrases, etc.

I assume you meant that you can hit the admin link for router and see all of that stuff? Is the wireless icon (just to the right of the button in the image you posted) on?

Yes, the light is on.

Do you mean computer or router when you are talking about manually setting it up?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:14:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ZekeMenuar:
If your computer is a laptop, check for a button on the front that turns on the laptop's internal network adapter.

If you did a fresh install, do you need to get drivers for the Ethernet and/or wireless card?

It's been on
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:23:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 7:24:08 PM EDT by JaxShooter]
Originally Posted By JonnyVain:
Yes, the light is on.

Do you mean computer or router when you are talking about manually setting it up?

Let's make sure I understand what "I went to the IP link and my settings came up." means. Am I correct that you went to 192.168.1.1 or 0.1 and pulled up your router's settings? If so, did you do this over the wireless connection or a wire?

If you did it over a wireless connection then it sounds like your router is doling out an IP via DHCP (you can always check by running ipconfig /all at a command prompt and seeing what IP address appears.) If your connectivity to the router is working then you may have a firewall issue blocking outbound traffic. If you flashed the router I would think this is abnormal as they tend to be open by default requiring you to specifically close ports, direct traffic, etc.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:29:12 PM EDT
If the above doesn't work, just buy an apple airport express ($99), plug it in and answer 2 or 3 questions on the set up screen.
It actually takes longer to get the thing out of the packaging than it does to set it up.

$99 of easy. Worth every penny.

Probably doesn't help much, but if you give up on your linksys like I did, it's an easy solution.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:31:12 PM EDT
Look under the control panel for your hardware and make sure the drivers for your adapter are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:32:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BuckeyeDoc:
Probably doesn't help much, but if you give up on your linksys like I did, it's an easy solution.

I actually gave up on running multi-function devices. I use a router and hang a wireless access point off it. I had too much trouble with the do-it-all boxes. Not a lick of trouble since splitting things up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:36:31 PM EDT

Yes, the light is on.

Let's make sure I understand what "I went to the IP link and my settings came up." means. Am I correct that you went to 192.168.1.1 or 0.1 and pulled up your router's settings? If so, did you do this over the wireless connection or a wire? Wire. I connected my cable to one of the ethernet ports on the router. The router is connected to the modem or whatever.

If you did it over a wireless connection then it sounds like your router is doling out an IP via DHCP (you can always check by running ipconfig /all at a command prompt and seeing what IP address appears.) If your connectivity to the router is working then you may have a firewall issue blocking outbound traffic. If you flashed the router I would think this is abnormal as they tend to be open by default requiring you to specifically close ports, direct traffic, etc. DHCP is not enabled.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:41:02 PM EDT
Windows says my drivers are up to date.
Originally Posted By 6172crew:
Look under the control panel for your hardware and make sure the drivers for your adapter are good to go.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:49:01 AM EDT

Yes, the light is on.

Let's make sure I understand what "I went to the IP link and my settings came up." means. Am I correct that you went to 192.168.1.1 or 0.1 and pulled up your router's settings? If so, did you do this over the wireless connection or a wire? Wire. I connected my cable to one of the ethernet ports on the router. The router is connected to the modem or whatever.

If you did it over a wireless connection then it sounds like your router is doling out an IP via DHCP (you can always check by running ipconfig /all at a command prompt and seeing what IP address appears.) If your connectivity to the router is working then you may have a firewall issue blocking outbound traffic. If you flashed the router I would think this is abnormal as they tend to be open by default requiring you to specifically close ports, direct traffic, etc. DHCP is not enabled.

Ok. Sounds like you either need to enable DHCP so the router can give your laptop a valid IP or you need to manually configure the IP settings on the laptop yourself.
Top Top