Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 2:03:38 PM EDT
I'm not sure of all the details as this is not my machine. (Running Windows Vista)

From what I'm told, this person was able to get into the router's IP (192.168.....) and change the network key.  (She claims it was compromised.) Now, she has no idea what to change in her computer's OS (Windows Vista) to allow her laptop to talk to her router again.

Is this a manual setting change?  Or will a prompt appear asking for the new network key?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:51:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'm not sure of all the details as this is not my machine. (Running Windows Vista)

From what I'm told, this person was able to get into the router's IP (192.168.....) and change the network key.  (She claims it was compromised.) Now, she has no idea what to change in her computer's OS (Windows Vista) to allow her laptop to talk to her router again.

Is this a manual setting change?  Or will a prompt appear asking for the new network key?

Thanks...

Depends on the OS.

I think Vista will prompt for "password" and call it that no matter what it is, when she tries to connect.  Find the wireless network connection icon near the clock and then find the network name from the list of wireless networks that pops up, then usually double click on it. (and the prompt will come up)

Note though, anybody that goes in and screws around with a router like that then forgets what to do next probably shouldn't be doing any of this stuff at all, nor are they qualified to judge if something was "compromised" or not.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advice.  She's up and running again!!

She's 13 and "knows exactly what to do" when it comes to her laptop.    EXCEPT....  Well, you know the rest.  It's those times where Papa comes in handy.    During her down time, I actually saw her READ!!!  Which was refreshing.  But...  I'm sure, once again, she'll be glued to the interwebs when she gets home from school this afternoon.  Kids these days, eh?  

Thanks again!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top