Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2011 7:35:53 AM EDT
I am about to have the interior of my Jeep Wrangler stripped and sprayed with a spray on liner.  

From what I have read, Linex is harder and possibly more durable to tears, chunking, and punctures.  Rhino Liner is more susceptable to these things because it is softer.

I am leaning toward Rhino Liner becuase it's a Jeep interior, not a truck bed.  I won't be hauling engines, loads of rocks, etc. in it.  I don't see the softer consistency of Rhino Liner being a problem.

What's your recommendation and why?  If you vote "other" please tell me what and why.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Line-X with UV protection.  Rhino liner fades in the sun and looks like gray ass.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Line-X with UV protection.  Rhino liner fades in the sun and looks like gray ass.

I have read that it fades but a truck bed would be exposed to the elements much more than my Jeep's interior with the top on 99% of the time.  It seems like the softer, and thicker, consistency of Rhino Liner might cut down on road noise a bit more.  Even if it did slightly fade, the interior of my Jeep is gray anyway.  Does that make sense or am I off base?

ETA:  thanks for your reply.  I just want to ensure I make the right choice before I plop down how ever many hundred bucks this will cost.  Esitmates so far range from $450 to $1250
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Vortex Liner all the way.  Greatest liner possible.

Vortex Liner
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:13:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Vortex Liner all the way.  Greatest liner possible.

Vortex Liner

What is different about it compared to others?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:31:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I got the bed of a 2008 Titan Line-X'd for $400. If you get any estimates over $600, I'd tell 'em to get bent (assuming you are removing any carpet or other nonsense yourself).
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got the bed of a 2008 Titan Line-X'd for $400. If you get any estimates over $600, I'd tell 'em to get bent (assuming you are removing any carpet or other nonsense yourself).

Yeah, I'm thinking around $500.00 seems right.  Every price quote I have asked for included me completely stripping the interior to include seats, trim panels, seat belts, etc.  Once place still said $1200 to prep, mask, and spray.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd get something you can roll on yourself.  There are plenty of decent do it yourself lineings out there that are good. It's just a Jeep so it doesn't have to look perfect I'll bet.   Save yourself some cash, I know Jeeps can burn cash faster than fuel.

I haven't done one in a while so I'll let others chime in on which kits are good.

The reason I say this is because most of the techs spraying liners never made it past 3rd grade and are usually high on meth.  Seen plenty of jobs that weren't prepped and ended up with a huge loose bubble.    Overspray all over the truck etc, big splat on the rear window, etc. etc.  

At least try to find a reputable body shop that offers this, not one of those Window tint/ bug deflector/ spray liner companies on the corner of any run down street in Ocala FL.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#8]
The do it yourself stuff is far inferior to a properly applied spray on.

That said, I prefer lineX due to how it looks. I don't like the gooey rubber feel of rhino. Not to mention the fading.

Also, as with anything, prep is the most important thing. I'd highly recommend doing a large amount of the prep yourself. A lot of places consider running a scotchbrite pad two or three times over the panel to be "prepped". Not good enough. Even some of the masking since it's going to be a interior, I doubt you want all your underdash wiring or gauges covered in overspray. Mask all of that yourself.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The do it yourself stuff is far inferior to a properly applied spray on.

That said, I prefer lineX due to how it looks. I don't like the gooey rubber feel of rhino. Not to mention the fading.

Also, as with anything, prep is the most important thing. I'd highly recommend doing a large amount of the prep yourself. A lot of places consider running a scotchbrite pad two or three times over the panel to be "prepped". Not good enough. Even some of the masking since it's going to be a interior, I doubt you want all your underdash wiring or gauges covered in overspray. Mask all of that yourself.

I definitely plan on doing A LOT of prep myself.  I'm not completely against a DIY liner simply because the worse wear it will see is from shoes.  I still have some research to do.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd get something you can roll on yourself.  There are plenty of decent do it yourself lineings out there that are good. It's just a Jeep so it doesn't have to look perfect I'll bet.   Save yourself some cash, I know Jeeps can burn cash faster than fuel.

I haven't done one in a while so I'll let others chime in on which kits are good.

The reason I say this is because most of the techs spraying liners never made it past 3rd grade and are usually high on meth.  Seen plenty of jobs that weren't prepped and ended up with a huge loose bubble.    Overspray all over the truck etc, big splat on the rear window, etc. etc.  

At least try to find a reputable body shop that offers this, not one of those Window tint/ bug deflector/ spray liner companies on the corner of any run down street in Ocala FL.

I'm looking at DIY kits too.  No opposed to them just don't know which ones are GTG and which ones suck.  Raptor liner seems to be pretty popular on some of the Jeep forums.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Line-X has been good to me.

The interior (the entire interior) was $500.
The entire exterior was $1500.

They matched the color I wanted, Removed the hood, fenders and bed, and sprayed extra thick on the bottom. The area underneath was sprayed smooth, and washes right up.

It's held up very well, and I enjoy it. A good dealer is worth it (Line X of Richmond is fantastic).

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Toiyabe66, that's the best looking Ford Ranger I've ever seen!

I'll bet that's a ton of fun to drive.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Toiyabe66, that's the best looking Ford Ranger I've ever seen!

I'll bet that's a ton of fun to drive.

Thank you.
It's a little different now.
I've changed the grille, regeared it, added a tonneau cover, and gone with 33" tires.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I have had both.  From what I have heard, Rhino lining has recently made some changes towards being better but I have no first hand knowledge.

I thought that the texture and toughness of the linex was better but the rhino lining kept things from sliding around.  They both will fade in color unless you want linex xtra which will cost you your other leg.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I sprayed bed liners for a winter job a couple years back and we sprayed reflex liners. They were close to 100% polyurathane liners and retained their rubbery texture over their life. A lot of liners harden up and can chip away when something hard impacts them but the softer "rubbery" ones absorb the impact and dont damage as easily.

I would do you research before picking a local company to do your liner. How long have they been doing it? What brand do they spray? Who is spraying it? (always request the most experienced guy). Also as to see their operation, prep process and finished product.

A lot of fly by night businesses popped up when these liners became popular and they were turning out some really bad products. And unfortunately for the customer they are damn near stuck with it if they did the prep work correctly!

Things to look for in the finish product include, no drips, runs or pools of product. Nice even consistency all over the bed, no over spray on the vehicle, and how clean are their lines. Also how thick do they spray their liners? You dont want a super thick liner as it will just weigh your truck down and not provide you with any extra protection but you also dont want a thin liner. A trick that spray companies do is triple or quadruple spray the edges and then pull the wire tape a certain direction when demasking. This will give the optical illusion of the liner being thicker than it actually is.

Lastly as far as prep goes leave that to the professionals. You also have to have the truck completely masked off with a special tape before you start scuffing in order to have perfect lines so there really isnt much you can do there. Also they should have angle grinders with large scuff pads on them that will tear through the clear coat and into the paint which makes the scuffing process very quick. Plus that stuff is bad for your lungs and you dont want to inhale it....

Linex is a good brand to go with and will easily win your poll. If you have any questions feel free to post or IM me and I would be more than happy to answer them!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top