Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 4:31:38 PM EDT
They built this damn thing just off the corner of my property (about 400 meters from my house) and the lights are out for the 2nd nite in a row now. I called 911 last nite and tonite but get basically nothing from them except they have contacted the people they're supposed to call (cingular).

IF a low flying plane were to hit this thing, it possibly could hit my house or one of my neighbors houses with disasterous results.

Who should I contact - FAA, some state agency or who??????
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Go kick the door in on the small building, they will be there shortly.

While your at it, take pics. I always wanted to know what they looked like in there.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Right
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Tape a flashlight ot the top of it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Somewhere on the gate  or fence should be owner contact info.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you close to an airport, because if not and someone hits that flying around at night they got what they deserved.  Charts for both visual and instrument flight provide for minimum altitudes based on known obstructions.  They provide the minimum clearance prescribed by the Federal Aviation Regulations.  All you gotta do is stay at or above that altitude and as a pilot there is no need to worry.

With that said, its always nice to know about such things.  Probably the FAA is a good place to start since they would be issuing the Notice to Airman about an unlighted tower.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Is a cell phone tower high enough that somebody WOULD hit it?  I've never seen a 500 ft cell tower.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

While your at it, take pics. I always wanted to know what they looked like in there.

60-69 degrees. Racks of equipment blinking and clicking. And a whole lot of fan noise. You're not missing much.

Towers are usually co-owned. Contact the FAA, they'll chew out the proper people.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Most of those tower sites have a monitor system that will send in an alarm when the beacon lights
are out .  When the company that I worked for had a problem with the beacon lights , we were
supposed to contact the airport tower and report it to them .  Try calling the control tower of the closest airport  or the local FAA office .
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

60-69 degrees. Racks of equipment blinking and clicking. And a whole lot of fan noise. You're not missing much.

Towers are usually co-owned. Contact the FAA, they'll chew out the proper people.

I'd love to show off some pics of a couple of our COs..  but unfortunately its a big no-no...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Somewhere on the gate  or fence should be owner contact info.

+1 FCC regulation. FAA too?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Over 200 ft call FAA I believe...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Shellmans Bluff (Near Savannah, GA) has a 1400 foot tower. It has lights, and backup lights.
I've changed them several times. Here I am at about 60 feet...long way still to go.
The Civil Air patrol and the Navy uses this one, no commercial use that I know of.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd guess the automated system already notified the owner that the lights failed.  They call the FAA and they do their thing.  The strobes were out on a 700 TV tower around here for almost a year until they got it fixed.

The local AM radio stations will have that number as it's the one they have to call if they lose their tower or beacon lights on their antennas. FM stations typically don't have/need the huge towers.
Paul, don't you mean the other way around?  The FM's I've worked had the antenna at the max AMSL the FCC would allow.  AMs were down by the river with a fractional wavelength stick.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#15]
FAA. They will put it out in a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) that the tower is unlit until it gets fixed.

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top