Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 9/9/2001 7:56:25 PM EST
Personally, I don't have the means to make one of these things. But, I am curious. Is there any way that this thing could be legal? Would it involve some kind of ATF paper with the $200 fee? Since it doesn't permanantly effect the rifle, is there some kind of legal grey zone? I figure since it makes the rifle full auto, not like one of those "Hellfire" devices which fires a round with every trigger pull, it must be like a DIAS (legaly speaking), but I just am not sure. Very curious about this. I like hearing what the experts say. [thinking] The Jackalope
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 8:32:53 PM EST
You can't legally make one for yourself (unless you're a class 2 manufacturer). There are quite a few (a thousand or more) registered lightning links out there from before the 1986 cutoff, and you can purchase one of those if your state allows it, and you've got the money. Figure about $2500 for the link, plus a transfer fee, plus the $200 transfer tax.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 8:38:24 PM EST
Ahhh...ok. I was under the impression that the LL was created AFTER 1986. That's why I was confused. I had never seen an advertisement for one in Shotgun News or similar, but there are a few DIAS ads per issue, so again it lead me to believe this was a newer item. Nonetheless, I am a user of firearms, not a maker. If I tried making one of those things it would probably look like some frankenstein device that would make my rifle blow up and kill me. Heh. Thanks for the quick reply! The Jackalope
Top Top