Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2010 7:58:48 AM EDT
I'm in a tight spot. I've done this before while replacing the sill and rim joist. But this time I've got no room to get a bottle jack in between pier and beam. I've poured several piers for the sill beams (6x6) to sit on (the old ones deteriorated), but I only have about 5-6" in between the pier and the beam that needs the lifting.

In the past I had a couple of feet to do it with a 20 ton jack. This time I need another trick. I have to do this 5 times to get something solid under the beams (5 piers).
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Man, some pics would really help. I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are saying.

ETA: After rereading what you said, could you dig a hole next to the pier deep enough to get your jack in there?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I could. I'd have to have some way to keep the jack from sinking instead of lifting the house, so it might take another pier that gets covered back up later.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I may be missing something here, but why would your pier be above the frost line?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#4]
It's not.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree. Time to dig and pour a secondary pier hole deep enough to get your first bottle jack operational under the main beam. Then you can use the height gained by the first jack to use existing piers and more jacks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top