Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2001 12:00:02 PM EDT
I was just wondering what is the expected lifespan of an AR-15's lower receiver. It seems that the upper receiver takes the brunt of the forces when you fire a bullet.

I'm asking becuase I have an old 1979 Colt AR15 sporter 1 that I fired 800 rounds thru it. I want to buy a Bushmaster Carbine upper and a collapsible stock for it and use that as my main shooter. Other than for metal fatigue of the actual receiver itself, I can always get replacement parts for the lower receiver as needed (trigger, etc).  

If this is true, then I have no qualms about shooting the hell out of it, but if I am wrong, then I may make a postban bushmaster my main shooter.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/20/2001 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Kin,

That old lower may be unsafe.  Better send it to me for proper treatment before someone gets hurt.[;)][;)]

FatMan
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as your no bashing baby seals over thier heads with it, the lower should outlast even your stay on this planet.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC Bushmaster has test fired every upper they have ever built on two lowers.  Several hundred thousand rounds put through each.  They had a few parts break, but the actual recievers are still functioning.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd say 3 years, tops  ... in the PRK.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:10:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess that the 100,000 rounds would be for a military service M16. A civilian one should last longer since we only have semi-auto (less stress on the pins than full auto?)and I doubt that we will be reanodizing it.

Link Posted: 6/21/2001 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Kin, even if you do manage to wear out that lower receiver, when it becomes unservicable and beyond repair Colt will build you a new one and transfer the serial number from you old one to it for a modest fee.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Kin,

That old lower may be unsafe.  Better send it to me for proper treatment before someone gets hurt.[;)][;)]

FatMan
View Quote

Hey,find your own corner,I work this one!!!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Boomer,

Thanks for the info. I never knew that Colt would do that. Do you know of an actual instance where Colt did this for someone?

I guess that as long as Colt stays in business, I can shoot all I want without worry.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Off the top of my head, I can think of at least two members of these forums, Stokes and Ratatat, for whom Colt has replaced irrepairably damaged pre-ban lower receivers with new, current production versions and transfered serial numbers.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top