Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/28/2004 5:27:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/28/2004 5:31:38 PM EST by DoubleFeed]
Well I was out riding the bike today (suzuki sv650s) and came up upon an intersection. It was was 2 lanes going each way, undivided. A typical city intersection, except the 2 lanes that I was going north in merged into one about 100 yards after the light. Me and the car in front of me were in the left lane and I was tempted to roll over to the right so that I could take off quick after the light turns green and get around this car. For some reason I decided to just relax and stay behind the car as we both approached the red light. After sitting for a minute, our light tuned green, the car in front of me took off, going about 5 feet then screeched to a halt. A (pardon my language) f'kin <racial slur removed -DF> came speeding through there, left to right, probably 3-4 seconds after his light turned red, because our light had been green for at least 2 seconds. I imagine he was running 50-55 in the 35 and then it ran through my head the decision that I made to stay behind the car as I rolled up to the red light. If I hadn't, I probably would have been broadsided by this guy and who knows how bad it could have injured or even killed me.

I've had a few other things like this happen to me where for some reason I end up making the right decision and seconds later realize what could have happend, had I choose the other alternative. Last time it happend it was my girlfriend and I, driving back down to school. 4 lane highway, 2 lanes going each way, divided by 20 yards of grass in between. I decided to stop in a small town along the way and pick up a drink. After we left, about 15 miles out of town we had a helicopter flying right over our head and landing about a mile ahead. Someone had crossed into our side of the highway and hit another car head on. The police were already there and by the time we passed they already had 2 white blankets covering what must have been bodies and the ambulance was packing the survivers..... After we passed we just kind of got to thinking, what if? What if we didn't stop, could it have been us?

Ever have situations like that and just realize that every part of your existance's made of choices like that, even if you aren't aware you've made a choice at all?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:33:00 PM EST
i've thought about stuff like that lots of times. Everything happens for a reason though i guess. I've thought about what happen to my fiance and son and if i could of prevented that by going home for dinner on my shift or would i of been killed with them if that was my day off. It's mainly a lot of what ifs. what if i moved to a different city would i still of been hit by the hurricane?what if i stayed in the Army for another 4 years.. lots of stuff could be different .What if my aunt had balls , she'd be my uncle.

J
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:43:27 PM EST
after seeing things like that a few too many times, i quit being in a hurry to anywhere
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:50:39 PM EST
It makes me think of something I read once: Time and Chance happeneth to us all.
Top Top