Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2014 1:52:03 AM EDT
So, its about half past midnight on a Friday night and I'm not doing anything interesting.  At first I though, life sucks.  Then I realized, I'm actually in my own house, wife and kids are sound asleep (except for my infant son who is rolling around in bed), I have a nice laptop to read on, I have a badass truck, lots of guns, and awesome hobbies.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that my life has been awesome. Not just, "I make a decent living and I have my health and family" kind of awesome.  I'm talking "Holy cow did that just happen?" kind of awesome.

I have a funeral to attend tomorrow and it makes me think about the fact that I could drop dead at any moment.  If and when I do, I hope you all come to my funeral and get drunk and fire guns off into the air.

With that in mind, I'm just going to start posting random awesomeness from life for all of you to enjoy.  I'd hate to drop dead tomorrow and have it all just disappear from the face of the earth.

I invite you all to do the same.

This is the, "Life is Awesome Thread".

Mardi Gras:

Mardi gras down here is different than what you see in New Orleans.  Google "Courir de Mardi Gras" if you want to read up.  

I've been running since I was 17, only missed one year.  Some years I ran more than once.

On my first run there was an old man on a bicycle with a wooden horse head.  He told me how he ran since he was a kid and never missed, except when he was in Viet Nam.  I wish my excuse for missing was as good as his.

I think my picture ended up in a handful of publications over the years.  This is my favorite one.  It was so cold that i actually had ice in my mohawk and beard.  I wore a sign made of deer skin that said "Global Warming Denier", it ended in some magazine in New York I think.

One time, the production crew from the HBO show Treme came down to film an episode about the rural Mardi Gras.  You can see me a few times in it.  It was a pretty neat deal.  Some really good looking girl flirted with me that day.  Mardi Gras is the only day of the year that chicks dig ugly dudes.

Life is Awesome.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:53:50 AM EDT
[#1]
TLDR
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:59:19 AM EDT
[#2]
WTF is wrong with you to think life sucks?

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:01:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't disagree but life always seems to kick me in the nuts for saying these things out loud.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:04:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't disagree but life always seems to kick me in the nuts for saying these things out loud.
View Quote

No shit. Whenever I see the glass half full, Life pours the glass over my head and then spits in my face.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:05:15 AM EDT
[#5]
what?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:05:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I dug a hole in my back yard once.

I was really poor back then and needed some exercise.  So I dug a hole.  Then I made it into a bunker.  The was in the early days of the interwebs and people doing dumb things got more attention or something so when I made a web page about the hole, it exploded all over the web for a few days.  I actually ended up in Marlboro Magazine.  I even did a radio interview with a news station in New York.  Some guy did an art gallery devoted to my hole.  The page was so popular that it nuked the bandwidth of the ISP I worked at and where the page was hosted.  They actually had to take the page down because customers were being slowed down.  (This is back in the dialup days, they had a T1 or two or three.)

I posted pictures of me spying on deer, shooting a snake and eating it, and wiring up the hole with Wifi.  (Wifi was pretty new stuff back then).

Also lots of pictures of my fat pregnant wife standing around the hole.  Somehow the internet went wild over it.

The guys at somethingawful.com (I used to hang out there before it became a haven for liberal sissy hipsters) took one of the pics and shopped it for me.

I think this is the actual picture used in Marlboro Magazine.

For years afterward, I would get fan mail about the hole from all over the world.  Kids would ask me advice on how to build a bunker etc.  I always told them to go ask their parents.

Supposedly two kids in Sweden got in big trouble for digging a hole in a local park because of me.  

Some guy in England made this shrine to me, complete with firecracker and pellet rifle ammo (because those poor suckers can have real bullets).

When I finally sold that schack of a house, the Real estate company listed it as "An underground deer observation hut"  the new owners were happy to have it.  It was hilarious.

Life is awesome.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:05:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this turning into a whiner thread?

Wha... wha...
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:07:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

TLDR
View Quote

Just enjoy the stupid pics.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:10:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Pic of badass truck?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:11:28 AM EDT
[#10]
The backyard hole story is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:20:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Life is awesome.  It was starting to drag me down so I loaded up my motorcycle and rode out west for 14 days.   Also America is  beautiful, but even more so on a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:20:32 AM EDT
[#12]
OP is right.  Sometimes I look at my life and see areas of failure, missed opportunities, dead end job, etc etc.  Then I see that I am generally healthy, married with good kids, have a job, have friends that I could call on if needed.  And if I really want to improve myself, I can look to the Bible for things to stop/start doing, or just ask my wife.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:21:18 AM EDT
[#13]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:21:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the cut of your jib. no homo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:22:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

OP is right.  Sometimes I look at my life and see areas of failure, missed opportunities, dead end job, etc etc.  Then I see that I am generally healthy, married with good kids, have a job, have friends that I could call on if needed.  And if I really want to improve myself, I can look to the Bible for things to stop/start doing, or just ask my wife.
View Quote

I second this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:24:07 AM EDT
[#16]
neato hole story
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:45:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Pic of badass truck?
View Quote

Life is Awesome.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:12:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I remember when I figured that out. It like some one turned on the lights. Life has be awsome since.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:55:09 AM EDT
[#19]
One more, then bed time.

So, Ryan Gresham (from GunTalkTV) is an old buddy of mine from back in high school.  

He was shooting a commercial for ATN and asked if I could help him with a place to get some of the shots etc. since I have lots of family farm land.  He ended up using me in some of the shots.

My NV helmet rig has a Hello Kitty sticker on it.

Why? Because Hello Kitty is awesome and moral patches are gay, that's why.  Also, up until recently I only had little girls and all my guns and gear end up with Hello Kitty stuff on it.

Anyway, at some point we realize the Hello Kitty sticker is showing and take it off.  However in the final cut of the commercial the editor didn't see it and....

Now there are little kiosks all over the country with some dork trying to look awesome with a hello kitty sticker on his helmet.  

I think the commercial gets played on some of the hunting channels too.

Life is Awesome.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:00:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like you have a pretty good life. Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:19:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I dug a hole in my back yard once.

I was really poor back then and needed some exercise.  So I dug a hole.  Then I made it into a bunker.  The was in the early days of the interwebs and people doing dumb things got more attention or something so when I made a web page about the hole, it exploded all over the web for a few days.  I actually ended up in Marlboro Magazine.  I even did a radio interview with a news station in New York.  Some guy did an art gallery devoted to my hole.  The page was so popular that it nuked the bandwidth of the ISP I worked at and where the page was hosted.  They actually had to take the page down because customers were being slowed down.  (This is back in the dialup days, they had a T1 or two or three.)

I posted pictures of me spying on deer, shooting a snake and eating it, and wiring up the hole with Wifi.  (Wifi was pretty new stuff back then).
Also lots of pictures of my fat pregnant wife standing around the hole.  Somehow the internet went wild over it.

The guys at somethingawful.com (I used to hang out there before it became a haven for liberal sissy hipsters) took one of the pics and shopped it for me.

I think this is the actual picture used in Marlboro Magazine.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3552650/bushmannva.jpg

For years afterward, I would get fan mail about the hole from all over the world.  Kids would ask me advice on how to build a bunker etc.  I always told them to go ask their parents.
Supposedly two kids in Sweden got in big trouble for digging a hole in a local park because of me.  
Some guy in England made this shrine to me, complete with firecracker and pellet rifle ammo (because those poor suckers can have real bullets).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3552650/bunk16.JPG

When I finally sold that schack of a house, the Real estate company listed it as "An underground deer observation hut"  the new owners were happy to have it.  It was hilarious.

Life is awesome.

View Quote

Haha!  I remember reading about that back in the day.  That's awesome.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:26:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I explained to my kids the other day that our lives were better than kings and queens a couple hundred years ago.

Transportation...fly anywhere vs. a prolonged ocean voyage.

Healthcare...anesthesia, antibiotics, MRI, etc.

Communication...instantly talk to a sister in Malaysia from a cell phone while you're fishing.

Entertainment...movies, books, music, way more than you could take in over one lifetime.

Work...no kids working 12 hour days down in a mine, no company stores, indentured servitude, etc.

Education...Like Goodwill Hunting, you can learn virtually anything with a library card and the internet, no need to serve an apprenticeship, join a guild, etc.

Air conditioning, central heat, fresh food year round.

Pays to think about this stuff every once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:36:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No shit. Whenever I see the glass half full, Life pours the glass over my head and then spits in my face.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a supervisor ask me if the glass was half full or half empty.  I replied am I drinking it or pouring it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Anyone firing guns into the air needs to be beat with said guns.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Interesting thread.

Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:00:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I explained to my kids the other day that our lives were better than kings and queens a couple hundred years ago.

Transportation...fly anywhere vs. a prolonged ocean voyage.

Healthcare...anesthesia, antibiotics, MRI, etc.

Communication...instantly talk to a sister in Malaysia from a cell phone while you're fishing.

Entertainment...movies, books, music, way more than you could take in over one lifetime.

Work...no kids working 12 hour days down in a mine, no company stores, indentured servitude, etc.

Education...Like Goodwill Hunting, you can learn virtually anything with a library card and the internet, no need to serve an apprenticeship, join a guild, etc.

Air conditioning, central heat, fresh food year round.

Pays to think about this stuff every once in a while.
View Quote

My life is better than queen lizzie across the pond; and she is free to visit me and my mum anytime!

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:07:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See, I am not an optimist, nor am I a pesimist.  

I am a realist.  

The glass, it IS half full, but it is poison and it will kill you when you drink it.  

That motto has kept me alive for 20 some-odd years....
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:47:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Like we fucking care.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#29]

I agree OP Life is Awesome!
Great Family, house, jobs, Health, My own small business, the freedom to enjoy my rights and hobbies, and extended family that I like and care about.

A few weeks ago we went past one of the many "give me money" people on the side of the road, and my wife said we need to make our own sign that says Life is good , have a nice day, and go out and stand on a corner for awhile
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Every time you're diaphragm  muscles contract life is great
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice reminder OP. Lot of negativity in the world today and it's easy to get ground down by it.

Taking some time out to take stock and appreciate what's good is a great thing to do.

Drive on.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Everyday is a good day I wake up and wanna keep going. Each day closer to being back to normal.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:33:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Anyone firing guns into the air needs to be beat with said guns.
View Quote

Sigh.  Another libtard opposed to bird hunting.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:17:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I had a supervisor ask me if the glass was half full or half empty.  I replied am I drinking it or pouring it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An ex told me this a few months ago.

"People get too hung up on whether the glass is half full, or half empty. Me, I'm just happy to have the fucking glass"
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:33:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"People get too hung up on whether the glass is half full, or half empty. Me, I'm just happy to have the fucking glass"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent!

We all are descended from folks who had to cup their hands at the stream!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I stabbed a bunch of pigs with a spear back in the day... now I have night vision.

Life is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:04:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Very nice. You are doing it right.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:06:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I stabbed a bunch of pigs with a spear back in the day... now I have night vision.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3552650/pigspear00.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3552650/nightvisionmadnes00.jpg

Life is awesome.
View Quote

Ha, I remember the thread with the video of your hunt in the rice field.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:07:14 AM EDT
[#39]
tl;dr

Life is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:20:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:32:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3552650/pigspear00.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3552650/nightvisionmadnes00.jpg

Life is awesome.
View Quote

winning
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Having a kids can be a drag.... but sometimes they are awesome.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:06:49 AM EDT
[#43]
This is a pretty cool thread OP, thanks for sharing.

Life is awesome! I'm so glad I'm still here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top