Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2004 1:17:24 PM EDT
How many years of use should I get from a home CD player?  Just a rough guess - I know it depends on hours of usage, etc.

I have a Sony CDP-C615 that I bought in 92 (give or take a year - I was in Korea) that started having problems about 6 months ago.  It has a 5 disc platter.  Every once in a while it won't recognize that a disc is in the tray.  Also, when in the Shuffle Play Mode, it will just (electronically) keep looking for a song to play - it keeps shuffling until I puch the stop button.  I've used the disc cleaners, and even took the thing apart and vacuumed everything, but it still has intermittent probs and is getting worse.  I'd imagine it's probably cheaper to buy a new one rather than pay an hourly bench fee to have it repaired.
Not to mention it was moved from Korea to Germany, then Germany to Texas, then moved once while in Texas.

BTW - I'm still using the Pioneer SA-508 amp that I bought in 79 (give or take a year - I was in Germany).
This thing went from Germany to storage to Florida to storage to Michigan to storage to Korea to Germany to Texas.  Guess I got my mileage out of it, eh?   And it's on right now and working just fine.

Guess we could talk about old stereos also...

EDIT: Added missing letter to model
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
My first player lasted about 10 years.

We've got a Sony boombox in our possesion that has pretty much given up the ghost.  Probably about 8 years old.

I expect about 10 years of service.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The 1988 S10 4wd with 2.8 liter engine was one of the most notoriously unreliable vehicles on the planet and mine went 189,000 miles before having to be scrapped last year due to frame corrosion so bad it wouldn't pass inspection.   Good luck eh?  Not so fast, CD players fail for me within a couple of years.  IMO, they are the most failure prone devices I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#3]
My jvc 6 disc changer was bought in 90 and still plays as well as new.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought my phillips 6-disc CD player in 1988, and it has never had the slightest problem - and that's after arriving in the U.S. IN MY LUGGAGE in 1990, and runing off a voltage transformer - since it is built for 220v.  I'm continually amazed that it's still working, because it was one of those cartridge ones, where you loaded a box with 6 CDs, and shoved the whole thing inside the player.  Mechanically, it's more complex than a caroussel, so I expected it to break long ago.   I've also never cleaned it or had nay maintenance done.  Why it still works is beyond me.

Fortunately for me, Pioneer must have bought the design for the cartirdges, and used it in something more recent they made, because about 4 years I found 9and bought) a bunch of new cartridges at Best buy (I only brought two cartidges over from Denmark, and was unable to find them here in the early 90s).   So now I'm still using that thing, and since I've got lots of cartridges now, I'll keep using it until it finally breaks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I bought my phillips 6-disc CD player in 1988, and it has never had the slightest problem - and that's after arriving in the U.S. IN MY LUGGAGE in 1990, and runing off a voltage transformer - since it is built for 220v.  I'm continually amazed that it's still working, because it was one of those cartridge ones, where you loaded a box with 6 CDs, and shoved the whole thing inside the player.  Mechanically, it's more complex than a caroussel, so I expected it to break long ago.   I've also never cleaned it or had nay maintenance done.  Why it still works is beyond me.

Fortunately for me, Pioneer must have bought the design for the cartirdges, and used it in something more recent they made, because about 4 years I found 9and bought) a bunch of new cartridges at Best buy (I only brought two cartidges over from Denmark, and was unable to find them here in the early 90s).   So now I'm still using that thing, and since I've got lots of cartridges now, I'll keep using it until it finally breaks.

My old Kenwood was also a cartridge design.  It was sweet, because I could load in different types of music at will based on mood.  However, it died an early death when it lost its 'ejector'.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
BTW - I'm still using the Pioneer SA-508 amp that I bought in 79 (give or take a year - I was in Germany).
This thing went from Germany to storage to Florida to storage to Michigan to storage to Korea to Germany to Texas.  Guess I got my mileage out of it, eh?   And it's on right now and working just fine.

Guess we could talk about old stereos also...

That brings back memories.

One of my friends back in the old country still has my Technics amplifier (that I bought sometime in the late 70s as well) in his basement.  I'm going to see my parents for Christmas this year, so I'm totally dragging that thing back to the U.S. with me, even though it's no doubt incredibly outdated!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#7]
i've got a first generation Sanyo "portable" that works just fine! Bought it in 1985, used it for parties, had many a beer spilled on it. It's been through hell, and still works like a champ. On the other hand, I've got a Phillips 3 disc changer/burner combo that I bought a couple of years ago that now is only a changer (burner gave up after a year).
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
One of my friends back in the old country still has my Technics amplifier (that I bought sometime in the late 70s as well) in his basement.  I'm going to see my parents for Christmas this year, so I'm totally dragging that thing back to the U.S. with me, even though it's no doubt incredibly outdated!

Two repair shops have told me that parts are no longer available for my amp  I've looked online for my exact amp but can't find it.  I'm thinking it was a Eurpoean version - I bought it in Mainz Kastel - memories...

I have the Sansui speakers I bought with the amp and tuner also.  The ex's kid blew one of the woofers out   - I don't need them, but keep them around for the day when I will.  I bought some Polk Audios when I bought my CD player.

I bought a TEAC cassette player when I bought the amp, tuner, and speakers.  That thing was HUGE!!  I had it rebuilt in 98 when I moved here, but in 2000 it smoked - literally.  Two shops told me to throw it away - I took it to the range instead.  HAHA!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting guys.  Seems like you all are getting more miles out of your non-Sony players than I am...

EDIT:  I will say this - mine gets used alot.  I rarely turn on the idiot box.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Had a Phillips/Maganavox that lasted for 2 years and flipped out.  Got another that still works.  I have a Sony Portable stereo w/6 disc changer that will no longer recognize the CD (It's only still alive because the tape and radio work, as does it's remote.  Its future is limited as the CDs that are trapped inside now cost more than the unit is worth (to fix) and I can find uses for the detachable speakers.

My .02 is that they are now pretty much disposable and that anything that goes wrong with them will cost more to fix than to just buy a new component/system.

SlackO
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 10+ year old Denon that was dropped and dented several years ago.  

It still plays fine but skips now if you bump it where it didn't before getting dropped.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Keenwood 5 disk CD player that's 12 years old, never had any problems with it even after 5 Navy moves.
In fact my entire rack system is 12 years old and it still works and sounds great.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#14]
My Sony portable CD player from 86 was still working in 99 till the rechargable battery pack died. No replacements are available.
I junked my hand me down 84 S-10 Blazer with the 2.8/V6 last year at 197,000 miles. The engine finally died but the body was in decent shape
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have a Keenwood 5 disk CD player that's 12 years old, never had any problems with it even after 5 Navy moves.
In fact my entire rack system is 12 years old and it still works and sounds great.

I bought my Pioneer rack system 12 years ago as well, and it just keeps on ticking...
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Sony 5-CD changer that I bought in about 1991... the rest of my system is a Pioneer receiver/amplifier and graphic EQ that I bought at my first duty station - Fort Bragg NC - in 1984.  

I have to laugh at how 'forward-looking' my amplifier was for it's time.  It had separate a separate "Video" input.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1. Also have a Kenwood system I have had since @ '88 and never had any problems with it. It has been moved more than 10 times...
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:37:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys and gals.   Think I'll be looking at a Kenwood CD player eventually.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one Sony 200 cd and one Sony 400 cd player.  They have been shuffling and playing all 600 CDs for over 4 years now.  no problems to report.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#20]
sony 10 + yrs old still working- had to clean the lens off though
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Well great!  You folks with good Sony experiences had to come along and ruin everything.

Seriously, guess I can't complain when I think about how much mine has been moved.  Wish I could find the receipt...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a Kenwood receiver unit from the early 70s, with Tubes!  Still runs fine, so it's now the back porch radio.  I also have a Kenwood record player that proudly proclaims "Solid State" circuitry.  I don't have any records any more, but I couldn't bare to throw it away.

As to my 6 disk Kenwood CD changer, it has made it ten years and seven moves, and still works just fine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#23]
It depends on how well you maintain it.  Disc players have quite a few moving parts and need to be cleaned regularly if they are going to last.  If you never maintain it and treat it like a disposable piece of equipment, then that is exactly what it is going to be.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I've got a Sony CDP-C265 5 disc changer I bought from a pawnshop 5 years ago and I have no idea how old it is.

It has worked just fine until a month ago when the OPEN button started giving me trouble. It opens but then closes by itself. Likely just needs to be cleaned. Otherwise it operates just fine on regular or shuffle play.

I'm a firm believer in Sony equipment. They and Panasonic are, AFAIK, the only electronics manufacturers that design, manufacture and build their own components. At least that's the way it was when I worked for Panasonic. Everyone else are "jobbers"-meaning they use bits and pieces from ALL the manufacturers to build their components-like Pioneer.

Then again, I like Pioneer equipment also. Used to have some of their speakers in my truck until I blew them out with my SONY stereo. Now I have JVC speakers. Another jobber. But the speakers sound GREAT and were a fraction of the cost of Bose or Infinity.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It depends on how well you maintain it.  Disc players have quite a few moving parts and need to be cleaned regularly if they are going to last.  If you never maintain it and treat it like a disposable piece of equipment, then that is exactly what it is going to be.

That's how I treated mine - and for some inexplicable reason it's still going strong after 16 years
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's how I treated mine - and for some inexplicable reason it's still going strong after 16 years

By luck, not design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top