Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 6:27:00 PM EDT
Now that Apple has screwed over OSX Tiger users by forcing a very expensive upgrade due to compatibility issues with mnewer ipods and iphones (I know..., I know... I've fought the battle against Apple but the SO and kids have been infected), I've just learned my MS Office Mac 2004 will not run on Lion.  

Soooooo. I'm thinking a making the break from proprietary software such as Office and going with OSS (Open Source Software).  

Thinking of going with LibreOffice.  Anyone have experience with this software and any impressions?

Sooner or later I want to break the MS chain and maybe this is a start...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I use it daily on my home computers since I run Linux. I've been very pleased with its functionality and compatibility with M$ products and files.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I use it daily on my home computers since I run Linux. I've been very pleased with its functionality and compatibility with M$ products and files.

+ 1  I use it frequently it it rocks –– no issues at all and I like the interface better than the Ribbon in the later versions of Office.

It is also free and I like not funding the yachts of the jerks at Microsoft.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Meh, MS Office is honestly much, much better.

But LibreOffice will get the job done.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Libre used to be OO
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Libre used to be OO

When Oracle purchased Sun Microsystems, former members of the OpenOffice group broke away and created LibreOffice.  LO is the successor more or less.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
LibreOffice is good (enough) to go.     Try it - you've got nothing to lose.

And OSX Tiger?   Dude, that came out in 2005....
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I use it at work. (We're a small office.)

I have run into issues with password protected M$ Office files. Or some of the more complicated M$ Office workbooks with documents embedded in documents.

For 99% of daily use it is great and the price can't be beaten.

And since it is free, just download it and try it. If you don't like it uninstall it. No harm, no foul.

(I still use Visio for network diagrams though. Can't seem to let it go...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
LibreOffice is good (enough) to go.     Try it - you've got nothing to lose.

And OSX Tiger?   Dude, that came out in 2005....

I dont buy new software for the sake of buying new software.  There has to be a compelling reason.  Tiger was working fine.  

XP came out in 2001.  Still runs my desktop just fine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Same experience here. I won't buy another m$ office product.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#11]

I was working on a Word 2007 document last night in LibreOffice and the section breaks and headers/footers had problems.  Section breaks doubled, creating many blank pages, and the headers and footers disappeared.

This is a book a friend has been working on.  I went into Word 2004 on my iMac and everything was there as it should be.

And to the OP, why are you having to run Lion?  You can still buy Snow Leopard for $29 at Apple.  Office 2004 will still work in Snow Leopard, that's what I use.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was working on a Word 2007 document last night in LibreOffice and the section breaks and headers/footers had problems.  Section breaks doubled, creating many blank pages, and the headers and footers disappeared.

This is a book a friend has been working on.  I went into Word 2004 on my iMac and everything was there as it should be.

And to the OP, why are you having to run Lion?  You can still buy Snow Leopard for $29 at Apple.  Office 2004 will still work in Snow Leopard, that's what I use.

Good question about the Lion.  Wife just wants to be up to date on the OS.  It's really her machine as I bought it for her as a gift years ago.  Not a fan of Apple myself.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good question about the Lion.  Wife just wants to be up to date on the OS.  It's really her machine as I bought it for her as a gift years ago.  Not a fan of Apple myself.

Snow Leopard is still supported and quite nice.  There are things I don't like about Lion and don't see myself upgrading.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Snow Leopard is still supported and quite nice.  There are things I don't like about Lion and don't see myself upgrading.

Anything in particular worth mentioning?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything in particular worth mentioning?

The big thing is that Rosetta is not supported.  I still have PPC applications that I use, and they can't run under Lion.  

I do have to point out that AppleTalk isn't supported in Snow Leopard, either.  So if you have an old Laserwriter printer like I do, you need to print through a print server.  I have an old mini that does that for me.

So, going to Snow Leopard, you'll lose AppleTalk.  

Going to Lion, you lose Rosetta, and the ability to run older PPC software.  And you still don't have AppleTalk.

If I was just starting out with a Mac it wouldn't matter to me, but I've been using them since 1990 and have a fair amount invested in what I have.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the responses.  I'll load it this weekend and have a look see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top