Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2001 6:38:47 AM EDT
LIBERTY ROAD DEAD ENDS IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY
by Arcadian Del Sol

Maryland, oft considered the Moscow of the East Coast, has never been referred to as a 'bastion of liberty.' This is the state that spearheaded efforts to outlaw cell phone use in automobiles. This is the state that stood on the forefront of seatbelt laws. This is the state that passed some of the first motorcycle helmet laws, and then used them to give traffic citations to children on bicycles.

As of today, it is against the law in Montgomery County Maryland to smoke in your OWN HOME.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've grown accustomed to this kind of legislation. Maryland is the state that wants to enforce common sense and use county police officers to roust any citizens who fail to utilize it. While I am not a smoker, I still cannot believe that in this country, a country that wants to declare itself a 'land of the free' is going to legislate my activities within my own home. We are not talking about plotting a...

***messege too large, had to cut it up***

The complete post can be found in The Gun Range at:
[url]http://www.patriot.f2s.com/forums/ikonboard.cgi?s=3bfe6b142436ffff;act=ST;f=1;t=15[/url]

Sorry, wouldn't let me post the entire article here (it said it was too large) :(
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Ah you beat me to the post...good show :)

Aside from what everyone else is adding to this, I'll just quote my favorite Congressman:

"Our forefathers would think it's time for a revolution. This is why they revolted in the first place. They revolted against much more mild oppression. -Congressman Ron Paul (Rep. Texas) Nov, 2001 from article "Police State"
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't smoke.  IMHO smokers are either drug addicts or fools or both.  But laws like this are far worse than smoking.  Who elected the jackasses merrily passing these laws?

This makes me wanna buy a pack of Marlboros *hack* *hack* . . .
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Perhaps it is time to go after the things cigarette haters love - mainly chewing gum !!

I believe gum causes eye pollution, ear pollution and I'm certain it must xfer AIDS when stuck under restaurant tables.  

Nothing turns a high-class lady into the look of a $20.00 hooker like chewing gum.
[:D]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#5]
sniff sniff,  ack your perfume is affecting my nose.  My eyes are tearing up...  I belive it is time to outlaw perfume too.

Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank GOD I don't live in the Peoples Republik of MD anymore.

Buldog OUT
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems like they tried this before up there--the town that had the smoking ban on the streets?  Friendship Heights?

Some folks sued the town and the law was struck down as unconstitutional.  Actually, I know the person who was the complainant.  He is a libertarian and a non-smoker, but was the only person they could find who actually lived within the town borders who could file the suit.  

So don't ever say libertarians aren't good for anything.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Ohh, the fun just begins from here.  Wait until the barbecue smoke starts to waft meaty aromas into the vegan's backyards, or the sewer backs up next to the asthmatic's house.  The concept that these intangible items create a tresspass when they cross a property line is going to have some ambulance chasers very, very busy!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top