Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 2:12:49 PM EDT
Well the GOP has been quite the let down. I think from now on I am going to consider myself a libertarian. What do you all think?

Gun Laws
Why Libertarians Support Equal Rights for America's Gun Owners

Rather than banning guns, the politicians and the police should encourage gun ownership, as well as education and training programs. A responsible, well-armed and trained citizenry is the best protection against domestic crime and the threat of foreign invasion. America's founders knew that. It is still true today.

Foreign Policy
Libertarian foreign policy: Ending welfare for nations -- foreign aid

Foreign aid is little more than welfare for nations -- with the same disastrous effects as domestic welfare programs.

The U.S. currently spends approximately $14 billion per year on foreign aid -- far less than most people believe, but still a substantial sum. Since the end of World War II, the United States has spent more than $400 billion on aid to other countries. But there is little evidence that any of these programs has significantly improved the lives of the people in countries receiving this aid. Instead, foreign aid has typically slowed economic development and created dependence.

Deregulate the healthcare industry.

We should repeal all government policies that increase health costs and decrease the availability of medical services. For example, every state has laws that mandate coverage of specific disabilities and diseases. These laws reduce consumer choice and increase the cost of health insurance. By making insurance more expensive, mandated benefits increase the number of uninsured American workers.

I agree with %95 of what they stand for.

www.lp.org/
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]
No, no, no, no!!!

Stay aboard the sinking ship, McCain needs your help! Vote for the lesser evil!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it has the potential to be the next GOP party.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess you haven't seen their open borders policy?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I said %95
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Agreed, most of them are pretty nutty quasi neocon when it comes to our sovernty. I am voting Bob Barr, he is for border security, but over all the libertarian party is wrong in this regard.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I predict this will end well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Are you talking about the GOP or the LP?

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sad, but true. That was one of the last differences... now the GOP and the LP and the DNC aren't functionally all that different on that issue.

That being said, I vote LP in local and state elections, and hold my nose and usually vote GOP in national elections. I don't know about this year. I just don't want to hand Congress AND the White House to the Dems.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Libertarians are generally for a dramatic pairing down of our military, which I don't support at all, for the most part they stand for some good things and you should work toward libertarian candidates in your local AO, but the presidential election will NOT go to Barr under any circumstance, though it may go Obama and hopefully it will go to McCain.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#11]
In before Sherrick makes a pot reference!  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't care for their stances on defense spending, hard drugs, or open borders, but otherwise, they're awesome.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Libertarians are generally for a dramatic pairing down of our military, which I don't support at all, for the most part they stand for some good things and you should work toward libertarian candidates in your local AO, but the presidential election will NOT go to Barr under any circumstance, though it may go Obama and hopefully it will go to McCain.

I agree, but if I only wanted to vote for a winner I would have voted for klinton twice. Didnt do that, aint gonna, not gonna vote for the lesser of two evils. Bob Barr is the only conservative on the ballot, and while I dont agree with him on wanting to pull back on the GWOT, that is about all I disagree with him on, as opposed to only agreeing with juan on the GWOT.

What the fuck are you gonna do
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't care for their stances on defense spending, hard drugs, or open borders, but otherwise, they're awesome.

Consistency is a requirement of libertarianism.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, but if I only wanted to vote for a winner I would have voted for klinton twice. Didnt do that, aint gonna, not gonna vote for the lesser of two evils. Bob Barr is the only conservative on the ballot, and while I dont agree with him on wanting to pull back on the GWOT, that is about all I disagree with him on, as opposed to only agreeing with juan on the GWOT.

What the fuck are you gonna do

I'm gonna vote for McCain, I don't dislike him on all that many things and I'm willing to comprimise on him to avoid Obama, its that simple.

not like it matters for spit anyway since I live in VT.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You were referring to bush / mccain?

Quoted:

Even when Republican were Conservative (Think Reagan years), and I was a Republican, I did not agree with 100% of what they said.  Nobody is perfect.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#17]
The Libertarian party has quite a few people in it who are not libertarians.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Libertarian party has quite a few people in it who are not libertarians.

The republicans have their neo-cons and rino's, and some on this board have admitted to being registered Dem's.  Your point?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an idea.

Lets start a party that takes the good parts of libertarianism, and the good parts of republicanism! That way we wont have to vote for the lesser evil anymore!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#20]
The Libertarian Party has been in existence since 1971. They have run a Presidential candidate in 9 consecutive elections. They have broken .5% of the popular vote in only two of the nine elections. Their high water mark was 1.1% of the popular vote. In the House and Senate, the Libertarian party in 36 years has elected exactly 0 members.

The Libertarian Party is the very definition of electoral futility.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#21]
As a party, I believe they changed their stance on open borders about the time that Mattel stopped making M16s.

----

Actually, they did change that several years ago when the trash that poured in from Mexico made their utopian ideals look like shit.  Yet, in any thread about the LP on Arfcom about 25% of the posters, who aren't related to the BBB in any way, must bring up a position the LP holds to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top