Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2001 11:35:30 AM EDT
Now im not the sharpest knife in the drawer but i call um as i see um.If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck its probably a duck.This is probably old news to some but to those who dont know and to remind those that do,Levi's jean company of san fran ca.(figures)are backing organizations that want our guns.My understanding is they support manditory gun permits,registration,training,and a ban on assault weapons,quack,quack,Let them get that done and just see what theyll want next,hello not me..I dont know about everybody else but we dont buy levis around here anymore,for about 1.5 yrs its been like that,and ive got 3 teenagers..You have to stand for something, you can make a difference.Americans need to wake up and smell the coffee,our kids cant even prey in school anymore because we want to be fair to everyone.In god we trust,just pull a dollar out of your pocket and look on back.This is our country if they dont like it get the HELL out.I want my guns to protect my family ,friends,and our way of life.Be proud, be strong, be prepared.You want peace be ready for war.Condolences to the families and friends of the 5000 people that were just killed in this country by terrorist.LET NONE OF US FORGET.This levis thing is a small thing but it all adds up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I wear Levis 501's. Always have and until something better comes along, always will. Politics be damned.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Sukebe i just must have stronger principles than that.I like levis jeans also but im not going to give my hard earned money to somebody so they can use it to take something away from me.I dont even think thats politics just common sense
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I quit buying Levis (even thought the do make the best jeans) and on't eat McDonalds, don't buy Hallmark stuff, and when I find out about a company who supports the gun grabbers, I try to quit  using their products. I know it's hard, but if possible I do it.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I need a new pair of jeans soon and I damn sure will won't be buying Levi's.  The last pair I have is suddenly deciding to self destruct.  They lasted a while and all the sudden, with in three times wearing them, they now have six holes in the legs! Not even in high wear areas.  Next pair I guess ill be looking at wranglers, they donate to hunting causes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Not one person in my entire family buys Levi's for this very reason.  I have found that the Sonoma brand sold at Kohl's dept. store are a very good alternative.  The cut is almost exactly the same and they are very good quality.  I also won't eat McD's, Taco Bell, or Pepsi (who owns Taco Hell), among others.  My list gets longer and longer all the time.  When you decide to stop buying from and funding anti-gun companies, please write them a letter explaining why they've lost you as a customer.  Otherwise, your message is unheard.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
sniperm88,Ive tryed a lot of different jeans and decided wranglers look good,fit good and seem to last a long time,all for(get this)$13.20 + tax at wal-mart.Im the outdoors kind and also i work construction so they get tested good.makes you wonder if 13.20 can buy a good jean that seems as well made as levis,That are usaully $29.99 or more,were is all that extra money going....Humm..
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I wasn't aware of levi's political stance, but I quit buying them years ago. I also worked heavy construction for about ten years and Could not see ruining a $25-30 pair of pants when Wranglers fit just as good and stood up better to the punishment.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Jeez, Sukebe, what if they were "Sarah Jane Brady Brand" or "Osama Jeans?"  Would you buy soap from a concentration camp too as long as it cleaned the best?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I started wearing 501's in '76 when I got my first job and mom wouldn't buy me expensive jeans.

My last pair of 501's are on the way out. There isn't much life left in them.

I damn sure won't be buying anymore. I have been wearing Rustlers from Wal-mart for $9.95 for work pants for years. $30-35 is too much for work.

They aren't as comfortable but they're cheaper, last as long and don't support causes I can't stand.

I'll miss my Levi's.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I started wearing 501's in '76 when I got my first job and mom wouldn't buy me expensive jeans.

My last pair of 501's are on the way out. There isn't much life left in them. They're a couple of years old.

I damn sure won't be buying anymore. I have been wearing Rustlers from Wal-mart for $9.95 for work pants for years. $30-35 is too much for work.

They aren't as comfortable but they're cheaper, last as long and don't support causes I can't stand.

I'll miss my Levi's.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been in Lee's myself for about 2 years.

Hold up very well.  I bartended for 4 years in the same 2 pairs.  That a lot of water, leaning, kneeling, ans even more water washing.

about 20 bucks a pair.

Zaz
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't worn a pair of Levis since they came out with their statements against the Boy Scouts about 7 years ago.  At the time I was a Scout Master and I figured if they can't support me, I won't support them.  I haven't felt that my decision was a sacrifice at all and find plenty of other options out there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
SniperM88,
Those jeans wouldn't have holes in them if you'd stop shooting at 'em [;)]
View Quote

You don't shoot your jeans? [:O]It helps break them in.  Well, I guess I will just have to see how long the wranglers last if I don't shoot 'em.  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll second muad_dib's recommendation of sonoma. They're half the price of levi's and they fit better. Plus they wear a lot better. My levi's always used to wear out very quickly. I've had my sonoma's for over a year now (maybe even two) and there's very little sign of wear. No frays, no tears, no worn patch on the back.

I used to be the kind of person who wouldn't wear anything but levi's. Must have come from the brand loyalty gained as a youngster. Luckily I realized a label doesn't make jeans better.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Anybody know of an instance of Levis contributing money to an anti campaign?  I looked over their corporate website (www.levistrauss.com) and saw lots of grants for AIDS research, job programs, parks, heck, even help for homeless veterans and equipment for firefighters (we love vets and firefighters, right), but no anti-gun stuff.  Care to enlighten?
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#17]
For those of you who have'nt found a suitable substitute for Levi's, the Carhartt jeans are pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Regarding Levi's support of gun banning, you may want to search www.paxusa.org - I distinctly remember that Levi's was once a sponsor.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#19]
remember Dockers are also made by levis
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I sure like Levis but I won't buy another pair. Too bad about SUKEBE's stand for gun control. Oh well, not everyone enjoys the shooting game. Buy Levis and give up your black rifle. Doesn't sound like a good trade to me.

RATS
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I wear Dickies. The waist is alot longer than my old levis, but they have worn well, plus the r/h carpenter pocket holds my Wilson 47 back up mag very well. And they arn't as expensive as evis. But Levis only lasted about a year and a half. The crotch wears out quick.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I haven't bought a new pair of jeans in a long time (I like the thrift stores), but when I do, I'll be sending Levis a copy of my sales receipt for my new Wrangers (or some other similar brand). Writing letters to a company to protest their political agenda is nice, but including evidence  that you're buying their competitor's products is even better!

Have also been considering doing this with Wal-Mart  receipts sent  to K-Mart, but the postage stamp costs alone could break me...
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#23]
F Levis and thier button flys.

I will not knowingly support companies that work against my interests.

I quit wearing (well buying anyway)Levis several years ago.

I find the Arizona brand jeans from JC Penny fit just as well and hold up probably better.

Again, Screw Levis.  Teach them the same lesson that Hechingers learned.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Regarding Levi's support of gun banning, you may want to search www.paxusa.org - I distinctly remember that Levi's was once a sponsor.
View Quote

You are exactly right, ckapsl. Pax is the antigun foundation Levi's supports. FYI: Pax is also the group of idiots that handed out lit candles at Woodstock '99. Candles that the drugged up attendees used to burn the place down with.

Quoted:
For those of you who have'nt found a suitable substitute for Levi's, the Carhartt jeans are pretty good.
View Quote

Roger that. Carhartts are great jeans.

[b]Freedom isn't free[/b]
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
[img]http://www.inetnow.net/~kudzukid/enlemblem.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wear Levis 501's. Always have and until something better comes along, always will. Politics be damned.
View Quote

We have lost.

Hope ya look spiffy in yer Levis.

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Muselix,go do a search on yahoo for levis,gun control,and see what you find.I first became aware from occasional listening to G Liddy.Ill 3rd or 2nd the carharts if you want to spend more money,they get my vote they are great also.Dagger,your exactly right,not getting to wear our so-called favorite jeans hardly qaulifies as a sacrafice.The recent events kind of put things in a different perspective dont they..
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View Quote

Sarh Brady's favorite kind of gun owner- one who values convenience over freedom. Sad.

"Give Me Convenience- Or Give Me Death!" :^)

Just because you don't take an interest in politics, doesn't mean that politics won't take an interest in you.
- --PERICLES

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Basically, I have no problems with people wearing Levis.  It's all a matter of what is important to you.  If gun control is not an important issue with you or if you are in favor of gun control, then by all means wear your Levis proudly.  If on the other hand, you do not believe in gun control, you believe actions speak louder than words and you are a man (or woman) of your convictions then you will avoid doing business with anyone who supports causes you don't.  No doubt, there are some things we can't help but purchase or places we have to do business with because there are no other options.  Blue jeans however aren't one of those things.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Maybe a bit off topic, but I quit buying anything Nike about a year ago. I was looking at some when I saw they were made in VietNam. OK, so we have trade with them, but I can't forget how they treated our POW's, and how they have lied for years about the ones they kept. Some of us just can't let it go.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I first learned about the Levis thing from the JPFO website. Perhaps they still have something there? Anyway, always the skeptic, I e-mailed Levis personally and got an e-mail back that confirmed their anti-gun stance (the exact form letter JPFO had posted on their site). I have worn Eddie Bauer Jeans ever since (yes, I am a yuppie)

Quoted:
Maybe a bit off topic, but I quit buying anything Nike about a year ago. I was looking at some when I saw they were made in VietNam. OK, so we have trade with them, but I can't forget how they treated our POW's, and how they have lied for years about the ones they kept. Some of us just can't let it go.
View Quote

BUT WE WON!!! We may not have won in the 70s, but by the early 90s the government of Vietnam had completely given up on all that Commie mumbo jumbo and reached out to the free world. Our own stubbornness is the only reason we resisted normalization. We were there to fight Communism - to protect the Vietnamese from the evils of Communism. By buying shoes made in Vietnam, we now support Capitalism.

WE WON DAMMIT! It just took the country 15 or so years of near starvation to see the error of their ways.

Adam
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Their shorts are great also, with they would put one of those tool pockets on the left side, they make great mag carriers for my Glock. [:)] I also find that they are a hell of a lot tougher than other jeans.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#32]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I quit buying Levis (even thought the do make the best jeans) and on't eat McDonalds, don't buy Hallmark stuff, and when I find out about a company who supports the gun grabbers, I try to quit using their products. I know it's hard, but if possible I do it.

I done the same things here, Kmart are on my list too! I wore Polo Jeans with small USA flag on the side pocket.

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Been wearing Lees or Faded Glory for years, as soon as I foundout about Levis politics
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top