Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:03:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 4:17:22 AM EST by NightHawkIX]
I'm trying to install laminate flooring in my house, but after tearing up the carpet, I've found that the old subfloor is in extremely bad shape.

Some of the subfloor consists of wood planks, and looks like possibly old hardwood flooring. (house is a 1902 construction, gut rehabbed in the 90s) However, there are sections where the planks were ripped out and replaced with plywood sheets. I assume that's what they did in order to install the HVAC ducts during the rehab.

While the floor is generally level, there are a lot of bumps and pits that would be a nightmare to clear out...

I bought sheets of 1/4" plywood, and plan on screwing them down onto the subfloor to use as an underlayment.

Any advice before I start?

ETA: I decided against using self-leveling compounds because there are too many gaps and seams in the current subfloor, and I thought the leveling compounds would just seep through
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:20:22 AM EST
sounds like you've got the right idea,

using a stapler will save you a lot of time and effort
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:57:41 AM EST
SurePly underlay. Air stapler. Install per instructions. Skim coat to level. Flooring over.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:54:16 AM EST
My floor wasn't out too bad but it was by no means perfect before I put laminate down. You can't tell. The laminate is linked together so it evens out over any smaller imperfections slight waves.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:57:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By NightHawkIX:
I'm trying to install laminate flooring in my house, but after tearing up the carpet, I've found that the old subfloor is in extremely bad shape.

Some of the subfloor consists of wood planks, and looks like possibly old hardwood flooring. (house is a 1902 construction, gut rehabbed in the 90s) However, there are sections where the planks were ripped out and replaced with plywood sheets. I assume that's what they did in order to install the HVAC ducts during the rehab.

While the floor is generally level, there are a lot of bumps and pits that would be a nightmare to clear out...

I bought sheets of 1/4" plywood, and plan on screwing them down onto the subfloor to use as an underlayment.

Any advice before I start?

ETA: I decided against using self-leveling compounds because there are too many gaps and seams in the current subfloor, and I thought the leveling compounds would just seep through
View Quote

DAP makes a floor leveling compound that is a thick paste. It doesn't run (not self-leveling) but you have to do the leveling, yourself.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:22:13 PM EST
This is the subfloor:

This is what I've done so far with adding in the 1/4" plywood underlay. Using 1 1/4" deck screws in addition to subfloor liquid nail glue.

Top Top