Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 3:01:02 PM EDT
Can anyone here help me on Leupold scopes. I"m needing one for my back up hunting gun I'm taking to Alaska.
I have looked at there website, but can't really tell the difference between the models.
There are so many VX's. Which one would be good for big game hunting?
thanks
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#1]
What is your backup hunting gun ? What are you going to hunt ? Are you hunting in open country or heavy vegetation ?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#2]
What rifle/caliber/game/distance/terrain are we talking about?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a guide in Alaska and have always used Kahles optics.
I carry a Sako with a Kahles, but need a good back up to that as one year I droped my rifle in the river and it was a gonner.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Have a look at any Vari-X III and pick the power/objective diameter/finish that you like. They're expensive, but Leupold is the shiznit, bar none. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm a guide in Alaska and have always used Kahles optics. My back up is a Tikka .300WSM.
It's open tundra for the caribou.

I carry a Sako with a Kahles, but need a good back up to that as one year I droped my rifle in the river and it was a gonner.

I'll only help you if I get a discount on a hunting trip your running.

Otherwise, I have no idea. I dont use Leupold's.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have a look at any Vari-X III and pick the power/objective diameter/finish that you like. They're expensive, but Leupold is the shiznit, bar none. You won't be disappointed.

They are good, but they no longer have a monopoly on excellent scopes.  I have a Burris Fullfield that is a match for any Vari-X III in quality.  Nikon, Zeiss Conquest, and Bushnell Elite are others to be reckoned with.

Really, you can't go wrong no matter which one of those brands you choose.  If you do go Leupold, I concur with the VX-III.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont hunt Alaska, but on my Browning A-Bolt .300WSM  I use a Vari-X III  4.5x14x40
Excellent Scope!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Just bought Leupold® VX®-III 1" Tube Rifle Scopes - Matte Duplex - 4.5-14x50
hope this works
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top