Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2006 4:44:40 PM EDT
Did you get one?  Get Both?  None?

I'm thinking of buying one for my son.  I'm leaning towards the school ring.  It cost about the same as the Jacket but since he's so tall he won't have an issue with having a Jacket that's too short for him.

If you got one in High School did you keep yours? DO you still have it?  What was on it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Well if you buy him one, get a cheapo one. cuz he will more than likely give it to a girl and she'll end up losing it. BTDT.   (or he'll lose it himself)  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'm thinking of buying one for my son.  I'm leaning towards the school ring.  It cost about the same as the Jacket but since he's so tall he won't have an issue with having a Jacket that's too short for him.

If you got one in High School did you keep yours? DO you still have it?  What was on it?

Yes.

Baseball and water polo.

I would still wear it, but my mullet and parachute pants are long gone...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to pay for a Letterman jacket?

I pretty sure mine was free.

ETA, it may be a Texas Football thing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a class ring. I never wore it, and it ended up on my keychain until I went to Iraq. My mother has it now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#5]
The jacket is cool, but I ended up never wearing the ring and it's sitting in a box somewhere now. The jacket he can actually use.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a letterman jacket and a ring, the jacket is in the closet (collecting dust) and the ring is in a jar or mug somewhere (collecting dust).
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

Baseball and water polo.

I would still wear it, but my mullet and parachute pants are long gone...

too funny!  No, at least at our schools we have to buy them and they're expensive!  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a football jacket.  I lost it while I was being shipped out to Alaska.  If I had it today at age 31 I'd wear it just because...  

~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The jacket is cool, but I ended up never wearing the ring and it's sitting in a box somewhere now. The jacket he can actually use.

I haven't seen any that come in Tall Sizes which is my hesitation against the jacket.  I always wanted one as a kid but never had the money to buy one.  I wore my boyfriends Varsity Sweater in HS but was always COLD!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Band jacket lost.
High School ring in the safe.
BS ring in the safe
Masters degree ring on my finger

Lebrew
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]
My Class ring was the biggest waste of money my parents ever spent on me.

SG
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd go with the jacket....he won't wear it after high school...but he won't wear the ring afterward either.

Besides the jacket is much cooler and chicks dig it....errr....sorry mom...you didn't want to hear that.

What I had on it.

Last name in large letters embrodered on back.  First name and nickname in small letter on front right chest.  Large U patch on left breast denoting school.

I think the year of graduation was on the left arm and football number on right arm.  All league patches were on the right arm.

Still have it, don't wear it...but when I feel like Al Bundy....well...you know.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

SG

+1 its a huge scam.
If you want your kid to have memories let them throw a kegger at your house and buy a dozen disposable cameras.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a class ring when I was in high school way back in the 1966.  It was 10K gold with the emblem of my school's miscot/nickname on a black onyx stone from Josten's, costed me $75 at the time.  We bought my daugher her high school ring 14K yellow $400.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Never bought any of that stuff.  Too cheap, didn't care and absolutely no school spirit from high school up to post-graduate degree.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, I knew the jacket was cool.  I always wanted one.  Patty
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#18]
It depends entirely on your son...

I myself refused to buy a high school ring, college ring, college T-shirt, etc.  I was not fond of my highschool and I'm downright ashamed of my college.  I don't like to be associated with either to a certain degree, and I certainly don't want to give them money.

Silver ring for $400?   Eat shit... I can get a silver ring at the mall for $15.

- BG

(Pardon my French... I got a little upset)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I had a football jacket.  I lost it while I was being shipped out to Alaska.  If I had it today at age 31 I'd wear it just because...  

~Dg84

Al Bundy?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#20]
One of my ex-gfs has my HS class ring.  Cunt can keep it, too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I lost my class ring about 19 days after I got it. I believe my mom accidentaly through it away.

I had my letter jacket for about 15 to 29 yrs, & boy it sure didn't fit me anymore. I sold it at a garage sale when I still lived in the area I graduated.

Both nice to have. Nothing last forever.

Coats & rings tend to be given to girlfriends.

What I had on it? School team name SAINTS, S letter on front with my gold letter awards. Grad year on sleves.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#22]
If he plans on going to college he'll never wear it again.  I got a jacket because of my letter and I was proud of that, so if he is proud of what he does then get him the jacket.  Not many of my friends got rings and none of them wear them anymore.  IMHO its a scam foisted upon us by Jostens.  Go with the jacket
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#23]
4 high schools, no rings.
Motorcycle accident cut short my career as a freshman pole vaulter, no letter, no Jacket.

Get him the ring, at least it can be resized.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I got a state championship ring from my sophomore year playing baseball.  It's way to big to wear, but it sits on a shelf above my desk and I look at it daily
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I haven't seen any that come in Tall Sizes which is my hesitation against the jacket.  I always wanted one as a kid but never had the money to buy one.  I wore my boyfriends Varsity Sweater in HS but was always COLD!

I had a letter jacket in school, I was 6'1" when I got it, wore until I graduated. I was 6'3" then.

I dunno how your school does it, but ours basically had a contract with a vendor who came in and measured everyone who earned a letter. Might check with the school and see if they can help you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

~Dg84

Al Bundy?

Exactly who I was thinking of when I saw this thread.....

----from "Married with Children"
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a jacket for football.  My brother destroyed it after I left home for the service.

Never got a ring..never graduated.  But my missus got me a class ring when I got my degree from a real school.  HS is a joke.  

I still wear my college ring daily.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Patty....just some advice...  ask him if he wants any of them.  

Kids these days aren't often attracted to the trappings of rings & varsity jackets.

Both my sons, varsity athletes from the time they were freshmen in HS, had no desire for any of those things.  YMMV
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I didn't get any and tried to avoid the proms too.  During the same time period, I bought a Ruger single six, Colt Trooper, Colt Official Police, SW K17, Anschutz 1413 super match, and Ruger 77.

I am POSITIVE I enjoyed the guns more.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I didn't play sports in HS so no jacket.  Didn't buy a class ring.  Spent the money on hookers and blow instead.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Patty....just some advice...  ask him if he wants any of them.  

Kids these days aren't often attracted to the trappings of rings & varsity jackets.

Both my sons, varsity athletes from the time they were freshmen in HS, had no desire for any of those things.  YMMV

Good advice.  He's hinted at the jacket.  I should say too that he's lost every jacket he's owned except the last one I bought him [which I paid $5 for at good will since he lost the nice one I got him before hand].  I'll have to look into them for size.  My son is 6'5" and still growing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I got the jacket.  To be honest, its really cool cause it keeps you warm and tells everyone else that (in my case) you pwn on the lacrosse field.  Oh I miss those days.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#33]
If He's into the "School Spirit" scene, he may be into it. I'd ask him first.

I dont have either item. High School was a place I didn't like, and didnt want to be there. I just wanted to put in my time and be done.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I never got a ring because I didn't want my parents to waste money on something I would NEVER wear.  I had a letterman's jacket for two different sports and never wore it.  They gave them to us if we lettered so my parent didn't spend any money on it.  It is in my closet in a plastic bag with my baseball and football jerseys.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#35]
my parents got me a ring and a jackett. ring was cool with duck hunting on one side and deer hunting on the other. wore it for about one week , during that week i hopped a fence to feed cows and the barb wire hooked the ring and about ripped my finger off. now i dont know were the fuck it is and my jackett got worn one time. i say its very lame, i say buy him a camera phone and let him take pictures of his senior year or what ever to remember.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Got both wore them for the last years of highschool, the letterman jacket I threw away because when you are in college it is really ghey to wear a high school jacket and even gheyer to wear it when you are 25.  It became moldy from sitting in the closet for so many years.  Lost the class ring somewhere.

If I ever have kids non of that stuff, will take the money that I would spend on that stuff and put it in the bank or invest it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Got my senior ring($325ish in '84). I still have it in a box. It is a nice chunk of gold and glass. Name engraved inside. Oh, no sports affiliation so no jacket, sweater would look sthilly on me!

ETA: I could tell you a good, girlfriend stole ring, chased her and a guy through apartment complex with gun story but it might make me sound bad or immature. Wow, I haven't thought about that in a looooong time. Ahh, good times!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#38]
traded buying my Class ring/jacket for a 1911 and some ammo.

I think I made out pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Nope. I wasn't on any sports and do too poorly to get an academic letter, and I have absolutely zero pride in my school, so I won't be getting anything with its name on it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I didn't play sports so no jacket for me.  I did however have (and still do) a FFA jacket.  I can still fit into it as well!

I chose not to get a hs ring.  I knew I would never wear it.  

However, I did get a ring for my undergrad degree at TEXAS TECH!!

But I hardly wear it either.   I am glad I got it though!

Good advice on asking him.  The jacket will be cool until he goes to college.  Then he won't wear it anymore.   Especially not on campus!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Varsity rifle team.  They don't do that too much anymore.

My sister stole my letter jacket.  I still have my class ring in a box somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#42]
I got a jacket and a ring, both were gifts from my parents.

I wore the jacket for as long as I was in school. I have all my academic awards on it (not a sports guy) along with the clubs I was in.

I wore the ring a few days, didn't like it all that much and it still sits in my gun safe 12 years after I graduated high school.

Lot's of guys bought a ring. Not all that many wore them.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I got a jacket and a ring, both were gifts from my parents.

I wore the jacket for as long as I was in school. I have all my academic awards on it (not a sports guy) along with the clubs I was in.

I wore the ring a few days, didn't like it all that much and it still sits in my gun safe 12 years after I graduated high school.

Lot's of guys bought a ring. Not all that many wore them.

Av.

I wonder if my boy would wear the ring too.  He doesn't like watches.  I finally bought him a pocket watch.

I'm sure he would wear the jacket until he lost it.  He has lettered in Football, Basket Ball and Tennis.  He wants to go out for Track but Mother needs a break.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Got both still. Lettered in football my sophomore year and got the jacket. I wore it for about a year and a half until I outgrew it. Wasn't gonna pay for the second one but still have it. Got the ring at the end of my junior year and wore it until getting another one when I graduated from college. Still wearing that one. If he gets a jacket make sure it will have some growth room in it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

SG

+1.
My mom gave it back to me a few years ago and it sits in the junk drawer of my tool box.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Jewelry is for girls.

edit for misspelling is

Second edit.

I had a letter jacket.  I was the first freshman to have one.  I only ever put the letter on it and the sport pins that I lettered in.  I put some more stuff on the letter but nothing on the jacket.

Buy him the letter jacket but do not sew too much crap on it, when he graduates, write the story of what he did to get it, things he did in it, so on.  The next year give the jacket and the story to his favorite coach and ask the coach to donate it to a student who has lettered but can not afford a letter jacket.  he will know who that is.  Start a legacy of your sons jacket at your school.  It catches on quickly.  Eventually there might be some kind of gifting the jackets by the departing students to the younger.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I didn't get either, no college ring either, and I don't miss them a bit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#48]
I had none of the above, and I was a pretty darn good football player. My friends all had them, and they still have them. My GF still has hers from when we were in HS. All state swiming patches and others all over the thing. She loves to show it off on rare occasion.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Got both, but I'm from a small town where that sort of thing is still the norm. Lettered 4 years in Football and had to have a jacket to keep grandma from stealing my letters to put in "the scrapbook"
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

SG

+1

Only get him the ring if this is going to be his highest accomplishment...if its not why waste money on it.

Besides its kinda gay to wear around a class ring IMO.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top